The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

SEN/ALS & Mental health at Bournemouth University

I’ve been looking at options for Uni and Bournemouth University has always been on my list.

Was wondering if anyone could tell me the real situation for students with Special educational needs/neurodiversity/ mental health issues.

I’ve looked on the website and though it looks good I’ve been to schools that on the outside look great but in reality were border line breaking every law and regulations on disabilities/disabled students.

I am diagnosed with Dyslexia, ADHD, PMDD and GAD.

I was diagnosed with dyslexia at 9 and have since been to a school where the SenCo outright denied my dyslexia because I was assessed more than 5 years ago.
Would there be any need for me to be reassessed/rescreened?

I have been to a school that assessed me for access requirements in exams and then didn’t give me half of what they said I qualified for, but another school gave me access requirements I didn’t even know were an option.
Does BU assess you for requirements themself or can it be based off what I was provided at sixth-form?

Due to having PMDD there are times where I am in so much pain I can’t move and have migraines that cause vomiting episodes. The mental affect cause server episodes of depression, anxiety and anger where I have been unable to leave the house due to saftey concerns. Currently the treatments I have tried do not work.
What are they like when it comes to repeated absences and access to work missed during absence?

No matter the amount of research you do before hand you never truly know what it will be like until you get there. I am finally in a school where I don’t have to fight for every little thing and not sure I want to or can go back to a place where I’m constantly fighting for the smallest things that make the disadvantages I face just slightly less of a disadvantage.

In general what is the attitude towards neurodiversity and mental health issues?
Are they the sort of place where you have to fight for everything?
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been looking at options for Uni and Bournemouth University has always been on my list.
Was wondering if anyone could tell me the real situation for students with Special educational needs/neurodiversity/ mental health issues.
I’ve looked on the website and though it looks good I’ve been to schools that on the outside look great but in reality were border line breaking every law and regulations on disabilities/disabled students.
I am diagnosed with Dyslexia, ADHD, PMDD and GAD.
I was diagnosed with dyslexia at 9 and have since been to a school where the SenCo outright denied my dyslexia because I was assessed more than 5 years ago.
Would there be any need for me to be reassessed/rescreened?
I have been to a school that assessed me for access requirements in exams and then didn’t give me half of what they said I qualified for, but another school gave me access requirements I didn’t even know were an option.
Does BU assess you for requirements themself or can it be based off what I was provided at sixth-form?
Due to having PMDD there are times where I am in so much pain I can’t move and have migraines that cause vomiting episodes. The mental affect cause server episodes of depression, anxiety and anger where I have been unable to leave the house due to saftey concerns. Currently the treatments I have tried do not work.
What are they like when it comes to repeated absences and access to work missed during absence?
No matter the amount of research you do before hand you never truly know what it will be like until you get there. I am finally in a school where I don’t have to fight for every little thing and not sure I want to or can go back to a place where I’m constantly fighting for the smallest things that make the disadvantages I face just slightly less of a disadvantage.
In general what is the attitude towards neurodiversity and mental health issues?
Are they the sort of place where you have to fight for everything?

Hi there,

I’m Q, a Media Production placement student.
Congratulations on starting your University journey!

When you go to university, if you have any additional needs, these are managed through a servicecalled Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA), where they do a needs assessment to find out whatbest they can do to support you, and this can include some of the previous assessments you had.When you go to university, all of the information is then passed over to the relevant university readyfor when you start.

As I study Media Production I haven’t had many exams, but it was really reassuring when both ALSand my lecturer checked my access arrangements before my test. There is also an online processfor requesting an extension for assignments if you miss classes or need extra time.

At Bournemouth, we do also have a good support system for mental health with Achieve@BU andStudent Wellbeing, as well as signposts to other services, so it’s always good to know there issomeone if you need.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any more questions.
Q BU Student Rep
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Quick Reply