The Student Room Group

Access to HE Medicine (Distance Learning Centre)

Hello,
I just wanted to ask if anyone has done the online access to HE medicine while working full time as I am worried about juggling the course while working a full time job?
Original post by Sjxlv
Hello,
I just wanted to ask if anyone has done the online access to HE medicine while working full time as I am worried about juggling the course while working a full time job?

@Sjxlv
Hello! I've taught on Access to HE for over 10 years, but not on an online program. To give you an idea of a typical hours commitment for a student, we would usually have 13 hours a week of classes (that includes a 1 hour a week tutorial) and we would expect a learner to do about 10 hours a week on assignment work too; although with distance learning your assessments might be a bit more streamlined for e-learning - this is much easier for sciency modules with right or wrong answers, much more difficult for social sciences which are more essay based.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Sjxlv
Hello,

I’ve just finished an Access in Science (Biology/Chemistry route) so I imagine there would be some overlap.

I’m assuming that you want to use the Access to apply to study medicine at undergraduate, if so you’re going to need to be achieving distinctions in every module. I didn’t study online but I was in college 2 days a week and spent at least another two days with additional study each week.

I have unofficially achieved distinctions in every module.

But you’d also need to consider time to study for the UCAT for most Uni’s and gain some work experience unless your current work counts?

I honestly think it would be a tough ask alongside full time work, not impossible but you’d have to be extremely disciplined.

Good luck x

Quick Reply