The Student Room Group

Chemistry help :(

I take Geology (WJEC), Biology (OCR), and Chemistry (AQA) A-levels. I get A's consistently in Geology and Biology tests and mocks but I've been struggling a lot with Chem getting A's to B's to now two D's in a row :frown:. I'm only in first year so I have time I guess but I've really been struggling with getting chemistry to stick, does anyone have any tips?

I do the best when I can find ways to connect theory to practical things you can visualise, e.g. seeing how the shapes of molecules can effect a minerals habit and properties as well as composition and reactions helping with identification, its something I can hold in my hand and observe, test, and understand what works behind it. But the majority of chemistry to me feels like "trust me man its just like this, don't question it", I just cant get it to stick unless its involved in a practical, kinda? Like this reacts to that because of this so you observe this, I can link some ideas to experience but most out of that doesn't stick.

Even when I do know though, I can't apply to what papers ask and looking for answers lead to dead ends especially from my chem teacher, I'll know that I'm wrong and they'll tell me that but they wont give me why, just giving the answer most of the time just leads to dead ends of "yeah thanks now I know what the answer is yay but WHY tell me WHY so I can actually learn and apply it D:"

Please offer any advice or stuff like helpful youtube channels or other sources you think would help, and no I can't get a personal tutor :frown:
Original post by molochorr
I take Geology (WJEC), Biology (OCR), and Chemistry (AQA) A-levels. I get A's consistently in Geology and Biology tests and mocks but I've been struggling a lot with Chem getting A's to B's to now two D's in a row :frown:. I'm only in first year so I have time I guess but I've really been struggling with getting chemistry to stick, does anyone have any tips?
I do the best when I can find ways to connect theory to practical things you can visualise, e.g. seeing how the shapes of molecules can effect a minerals habit and properties as well as composition and reactions helping with identification, its something I can hold in my hand and observe, test, and understand what works behind it. But the majority of chemistry to me feels like "trust me man its just like this, don't question it", I just cant get it to stick unless its involved in a practical, kinda? Like this reacts to that because of this so you observe this, I can link some ideas to experience but most out of that doesn't stick.
Even when I do know though, I can't apply to what papers ask and looking for answers lead to dead ends especially from my chem teacher, I'll know that I'm wrong and they'll tell me that but they wont give me why, just giving the answer most of the time just leads to dead ends of "yeah thanks now I know what the answer is yay but WHY tell me WHY so I can actually learn and apply it D:"
Please offer any advice or stuff like helpful youtube channels or other sources you think would help, and no I can't get a personal tutor :frown:

Chemistry is all about the big questions.
Why
How
When

The scientific method is about:
Observation
Question
Investigation
Conclusion

Chemistry deals with matter in all its forms. We observe it and notice patterns that we try to explain using logic and investigation.

That's it.
Reply 2
Original post by molochorr

Chemistry is difficult because you can't do it with just memory. Understanding is the key and understanding helps memory of facts. You can't do it with just reading your book. You must use pen and paper and write out the structures, the equations, reaction conditions, reaction mechanism....etc. Always ask yourself many whys, and try to find out the answers from internet (ask Google sensei). Boy, there are so many free resources on line nowadays. Do as many past examination papers as possible. You need to have constant exposure to chemistry in order to excel in the subject. I suggest you review your chemistry for at least 1 hour every day and I mean every day.

Quick Reply