The Student Room Group

A level Maths HELP

I’m in yr 12 struggling to get good marks for maths A level. My teacher won’t help me so I need to re-learn content from now and over the summer.
Any tips on how to increase my grade???
use TL Maths videos for each individual topic, then find topic questions on PMT or save my exams. go through the AS past papers but stay away from the alevel ones because you'll need to save those for closer to exam season. Just do as many questions as you can, if you are completely stuck on one, look at the mark scheme, see how they want you to approach it, then close that ms and immediately redo that question and do another one of the same style.
when you get to easter, try and do other exams boards's pure maths papers instead of your own, again you're going to one to save some of your exam board's papers to do in the days coming up to your exam.
I got my grade up from a D in my year 12 mock to hopeful for a firm A in my actual levels im sitting now. practice is key with maths, every question is a variation of questions already come up so the more you can do, the more likely it is that you'll know how to approach an exam q in the same style
if you're struggling to grasp a topic when you start year 13, don't wait on it, get home and watch videos on it and try a few questions, don't be like me having to learn full massive sections of the spec during easter, it massively took away from my other subjects
lastly confidence is so key, keep your head high and keep trying, maths is formulaic, with enough practice you'll absolutely do great !
Reply 2
Original post by megcro
I’m in yr 12 struggling to get good marks for maths A level. My teacher won’t help me so I need to re-learn content from now and over the summer.

Youtube accounts to follow: BICEN maths, TL maths, Habadasher Adams Maths(they go through each exercise like a lesson)

Websites: Dr Frost(if you have access to it) and physics maths tutor.

Technique: i would recommend you understand the content first, like i went back and re-taught myself an entire chapter ensuring I can do every question (or just the harder ones and the challenges) and just keep practicing. Once you have to method down keep doing questions to finesse it and everything will fall into place.

Good luck !
Original post by megcro

I would recommend first identifying the topics you are weakest in. Highlight these using a traffic light system (red for what you struggle the most in, green for where you are the most confident). You shouldn’t ignore green topics completely, but prioritise the red ones.

Go over your weakest topics by watching videos or going through your textbook. I would highly recommend TL Maths as a YouTuber. Then do topic based questions using maths genie or your textbook.

Make sure your goals are SMART. Specific, Measurable, Acheivable, Realistic and Time Managed. This helps to ensure you don’t procrastinate. For example set yourself a goal to ‘work one hour on the trigonometry topic, specifically on this page of the textbook and these questions, watch this specific maths video.’

Quick Reply