The Student Room Group

Job after biomedical science??

I've just finished my bachelors in biomedical science, and I plan to do radiography in the near future. However, bc I have zero healthcare experience, I want to do a simple/slow pace job in a healthcare setting to prepare me before I start my radiography career. I was thinking of applying for patient care co-ordinator/medical secretary roles but they don't seem that clinical. On the other hand, lab assistant jobs seem too technical. Obviously I've no clue what to do 🙃 any advice is welcome
Original post by thesciencebae
I've just finished my bachelors in biomedical science, and I plan to do radiography in the near future. However, bc I have zero healthcare experience, I want to do a simple/slow pace job in a healthcare setting to prepare me before I start my radiography career. I was thinking of applying for patient care co-ordinator/medical secretary roles but they don't seem that clinical. On the other hand, lab assistant jobs seem too technical. Obviously I've no clue what to do 🙃 any advice is welcome

If you intend to apply for a radiography undergrad or pre-reg masters course, then you will need shadowing experience and public-facing work/volunteering experience. The shadowing experience is to show that you understand the job - contact your local NHS trust and ask for a day's shadowing in the radiography department. The work/volunteering experience is to show that you can communicate with the general public. Working in a care home would be ideal but anything public facing would be fine - bar/restaurant work, etc.
Original post by normaw
If you intend to apply for a radiography undergrad or pre-reg masters course, then you will need shadowing experience and public-facing work/volunteering experience. The shadowing experience is to show that you understand the job - contact your local NHS trust and ask for a day's shadowing in the radiography department. The work/volunteering experience is to show that you can communicate with the general public. Working in a care home would be ideal but anything public facing would be fine - bar/restaurant work, etc.

Yeah shadowing sounds like a good idea. I thought most hospitals don't do that anymore but I'll try contacting to find out. Thanks for the advice
Original post by thesciencebae
Yeah shadowing sounds like a good idea. I thought most hospitals don't do that anymore but I'll try contacting to find out. Thanks for the advice

A lot don't do work experience but will offer shadowing for a day or half day. Most unis will expect you to have this and hospitals are aware of it.

Quick Reply