The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Cancel UCL accommodation contract New Hall

I want to cancel my UCL contract after I've accepted, but was wondering if I still have to pay first term rent since it's this far in advance? I know people say you can leave within first week no penalty, or terminate the contract by the end of the first term, so will I have to pay anything at all since it's only June? Also how do you go about cancelling?
Original post by maddy_addy
I want to cancel my UCL contract after I've accepted, but was wondering if I still have to pay first term rent since it's this far in advance? I know people say you can leave within first week no penalty, or terminate the contract by the end of the first term, so will I have to pay anything at all since it's only June? Also how do you go about cancelling?

According to the rules of the Licence Agreement (see paragraph 4 of section B of this page), there are only four circumstances under which you can terminate the agreement:
(a) During the first term
(b) At the end of the first term
(c) During the remaining terms
(d) On turning 18

So technically, you have no right to terminate the agreement right now. However, I suspect that if you issued a Notice to Quit online on the UCL Accommodation Portal, they would quickly find a replacement student and you would not be liable for any accommodation fees.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
According to the rules of the Licence Agreement (see paragraph 4 of section B of this page), there are only four circumstances under which you can terminate the agreement:
(a) During the first term
(b) At the end of the first term
(c) During the remaining terms
(d) On turning 18
So technically, you have no right to terminate the agreement right now. However, I suspect that if you issued a Notice to Quit online on the UCL Accommodation Portal, they would quickly find a replacement student and you would not be liable for any accommodation fees.

Thank you so much for this! I don't see Notice to Quit anywhere on my portal though. Is this something I'll just have to email accommodation about? Or is it too early maybe?
Original post by maddy_addy
Thank you so much for this! I don't see Notice to Quit anywhere on my portal though. Is this something I'll just have to email accommodation about? Or is it too early maybe?

Well, the Licence Agreement (see link above) mentions "Notice to Quit" on a few occasions, so I assumed it would just be directly available on the portal. (I don't have a login, so can't check myself.)

I agree that your best option is to contact the accommodation team.

Quick Reply