The Student Room Group

Finance or computer science

Hi, I'm almost at the end of y12 and I'm currently doing A-level maths, chemistry, computer science and EPQ. I really enjoy studying computer science especially the coding aspect but I'm not sure if I should do it at university. I have always liked finance and want to get into finance after university but I haven't studied finance at all. I feel like I should study computer science at university (might be easier as I have been doing computer science for a while then get a career in finance as I read somewhere that u can get into finance with a computer science degree (not 100% sure). I'm stuck on which one to choose.
Hi Hash7701,
To answer your question it might be worth researching the course modules for each course you’re interested in, e.g. here at York our undergrad Economics and Finance course has different modules to our Accounting Business Finance and Management course and one may be perfect for you and the other less so. Ditto our Computer Science courses.
Also think about if you want a course with a year in industry or not.
I appreciate this is a lot of reading but you can contact computer science and economics if you want to talk things through with someone. I’ve worked with both departments and they’re lovely. Good luck with whatever you study 🙂
Hi Hash7701,
To answer your question it might be worth researching the course modules for each course you’re interested in, e.g. here at York our undergrad Economics and Finance course has different modules to our Accounting Business Finance and Management course and one may be perfect for you and the other less so. Ditto our Computer Science courses.
Also think about if you want a course with a year in industry or not.
I appreciate this is a lot of reading but you can contact computer science and economics if you want to talk things through with someone. I’ve worked with both departments and they’re lovely. Good luck with whatever you study 🙂
Original post by Hash7701
Hi, I'm almost at the end of y12 and I'm currently doing A-level maths, chemistry, computer science and EPQ. I really enjoy studying computer science especially the coding aspect but I'm not sure if I should do it at university. I have always liked finance and want to get into finance after university but I haven't studied finance at all. I feel like I should study computer science at university (might be easier as I have been doing computer science for a while then get a career in finance as I read somewhere that u can get into finance with a computer science degree (not 100% sure). I'm stuck on which one to choose.
Hello, I thought I could share some insights that might help you make a decision as a finance student myself. I would say since you really enjoy studying computer science, especially the coding aspect, it makes sense to pursue it at university. A computer science degree not only aligns with your current strengths and interests but also offers a wide range of career opportunities. Plus, the skills you develop in computer science are highly valuable in many industries, INCLUDING finance.
You mentioned that you’ve always liked finance and want to get into it after university. The good news is that many roles in the finance industry, especially in Fintech, data analysis, and algorithmic trading, value candidates with strong technical backgrounds. This means you can definitely enter the finance sector with a computer science degree. And if you ultimately decide that finance is your primary interest, you could also major in finance while taking computer science courses. Another option I would suggest is to consider doing a major in computer science with a minor in finance, or vice versa.(Major is your primary focus of study at university. It typically involves more courses and a deeper level of specialization. Minor is a secondary focus of study. It involves fewer courses than a major and provides complementary knowledge and skills.) Some universities offer flexible programs that let you customise your studies to your interests. For instance, Richmond American University London allows you to choose a major and a minor without restricting yourself too much. And if you are still indecisive by the first year of your degree, you could always switch it as your credits would transfer.
Good luck with your decision, and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

RAUL Student Ambassador
Hiba

Quick Reply