The Student Room Group

uni open days?? help???

ok so i wanna study costume or textiles at uni starting in 2025 (im also looking at art history but yknow) and basically all of the courses i like the most are very far away. im in london and my top five are edinburgh, york, queen margarets, bournemouth and northern school of art.. i dont have the money to travel to open days to them really but i dont want to go anywhere closer to home.
i know open days are useful but do i really NEED to go? is anyone at those unis atm and can tell me what theyre like? please give me some wisdom cus idk what to do????
Original post by unfulfilled-init
ok so i wanna study costume or textiles at uni starting in 2025 (im also looking at art history but yknow) and basically all of the courses i like the most are very far away. im in london and my top five are edinburgh, york, queen margarets, bournemouth and northern school of art.. i dont have the money to travel to open days to them really but i dont want to go anywhere closer to home.
i know open days are useful but do i really NEED to go? is anyone at those unis atm and can tell me what theyre like? please give me some wisdom cus idk what to do????

Hey,

It’s great to hear you’re interested in studying costume design or textiles at University! I totally understand the concern about traveling for open days, especially when your top choices are quite far from home.

At the University of Salford, we also offer great courses in costume design, fashion, and fine art. One thing that might be really helpful for you to know is that Salford offers a travel bursary to visitors. This bursary helps cover a lot of the travel costs, making it easier for prospective students to visit and see if our university is the right fit for them. We believe open days are crucial for making an informed decision, so we’re passionate about giving everyone a fair chance to come and see us.

I’d recommend checking if the universities you’re interested in have similar offerings. Sometimes they have travel bursaries or other financial support for prospective students. You can find this information on their websites or by contacting their admissions offices.

If you can’t make it to the open days, many universities also offer virtual tours and online open days, which can give you a good feel for the place. Additionally, reaching out to current students through social media or university forums can provide valuable insights into what it’s like to study there.

Best of luck with your applications and decisions!

Cheers,
Arslan University of Salford Student Representative

some unis give you give you money to cover the cost of travelling

Hello, It is great to hear that you are considering Costume at degree level. Please drop us a message at [email protected] and we will discuss this further with you 🙂 - Student Recruitment Team at The Northern School of Art

Hi!! So, a couple of things; 1. you definitely don’t NEED to go to uni open days! they can be very helpful, but there will also be plenty of online resources especially on the university websites to help you get a feel for the place! and 2. i have seen that some unis offer virtual open days so it could be worth looking into that and seeing if any of the unis you’re interested in are hosting them :smile: if you wanted to, you could pick one uni to travel to in person, but it is definitely not the end of the world if you aren’t able to visit any unis at all!

Quick Reply