The Student Room Group

Silver in Senior Maths Challenge in Cambridge Maths reference

Would putting a Silver in the Senior Maths Challenge into the teacher's reference when applying to Cambridge for maths affect my chance of getting in or should I just let the teacher leave it in?
Original post by yepyepyep2
Would putting a Silver in the Senior Maths Challenge into the teacher's reference when applying to Cambridge for maths affect my chance of getting in or should I just let the teacher leave it in?

It’s good. It shows you’re interested in problems and unafraid to try out maths you’re less familiar with. SMCs feel like an indicator of how naturally mathsy a person is because they test (eg) combinatorics and probability, which are less-covered in school curricula. But these are just discrete areas of study people have more or less knowledge of, depending on their backgrounds. The important thing is engaging with the challenge.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by dcrantove
It’s good. It shows you’re interested in problems and unafraid to try out maths you’re less familiar with. SMCs feel like an indicator of how naturally mathsy a person is because they test (eg) combinatorics and probability, which are less-covered in school curricula. But these are just discrete areas of study people have more or less knowledge of, depending on their backgrounds. The important thing is engaging with the challenge.

Okay thank you, yeah i didnt do anything for the challenge, but ever since have been practicing them.I just wanted to know if a silver would harm my appliction, considering alot of people would have qualified for BMO1
Well, be realistic. The standard is high but you can’t meet it by hiding who you are
Reply 4
Well, be realistic. The standard is high but you can’t meet it by hiding who you are

ur right. Thank you for your replies
Reply 5
You should print that out and frame it, what a quote!

But yeah, as for OPs question I don't really think it's doing much for the application either positively or negatively. If there is more impressive stuff to be said about your engagement in mathematics, for example doing a presentation on a proof to your class or engaging in some advanced maths without your teachers prompting you, then that would probably be a better use of the space in the reference, but if there isn't anything more to say then you might as well leave it in.

Quick Reply