The Student Room Group

UCAT advice?

I’m rly struggling with VR and DM. They are the only subsections I can’t score a 700 in. I’ve been struggling recently in my mocks but recently I’ve been able to score a 710 QR 700 AR on medentry with a 2710 b2 overall. I haven’t been very consistent but started to do targeted practice. I’m finding time management very difficult for QR and still haven’t found a strategy that works for me in the VR. Please can someone help? I’m planning to sit early September.
Original post by imbambob
I’m rly struggling with VR and DM. They are the only subsections I can’t score a 700 in. I’ve been struggling recently in my mocks but recently I’ve been able to score a 710 QR 700 AR on medentry with a 2710 b2 overall. I haven’t been very consistent but started to do targeted practice. I’m finding time management very difficult for QR and still haven’t found a strategy that works for me in the VR. Please can someone help? I’m planning to sit early September.
hi, i did my UCAT last year 2960 B1 hopefully should be able to help :smile:)
practicing is the most important thing, i’m assuming you still have anywhere up to 2 months before your test and believe me you can make a HUGE improvement in that time. in my first ucat mocks i was getting like 400 in QR and got 720 in the real thing

definitely keep using medentry for VR - i found medify and official mock passages were way too short compared to the real thing, medentry was about right. skim reading is a SUPER important skill for VR, this might sound strange but move your eyes as little as possible when skimming each line and you can take in way more info in a shorter time which is as something i found really helpful. i also noticed a pattern which was the same in all my mocks and the real thing - towards the end of VR there was always some kind of news articles in which it’s possible to accurately guess the answer without even reading the passage. obviously i don’t recommend this, if you have time read the passage, but i performed best when i spent less time answering these passages than the others

for DM maybe watch some walkthrough videos on youtube (same goes for AR) and practice afterwards, practice is really the most important thing when it comes to any DM section

time management on QR is always the worst, when it comes to time management answer the easier questions first. some QR questions literally just require looking at for a second and you can work it out in your head, others would be worth 5-6 marks on a GCSE paper. but they’re worth the same marks in the UCAT, so flag them and come back to them!! make sure you’re using keyboard shortcuts as well they make time management so much easier. same goes for VR really, save long passages til the end and answer the shorter ones first

good luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply