The Student Room Group

Can i still become a barrister

I got 57% for the second year. Do u guys think i can still become a barrister? What advice would you give to me
Yes, you can. Pupillage applications rarely require you to breakdown your grades either by year or by subject. The obvious advice is you must do better in your third year and get a 2:1 overall. A 2:2 would be a major barrier to you obtaining pupillage.
Does your second year count equally OP? Sometimes the second year has a smaller weighting. Crazy Jamie gives good advice, as always. Keep working hard and hopefully you can get there in your final year. Good luck.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by Student061
I got 57% for the second year. Do u guys think i can still become a barrister? What advice would you give to me

Hi,

Yes, you definitely can. As other have said applications rarely do require a breakdown of grades. You might find that your university may weigh your 2nd and 3rd year differently. I did better in my 3rd year than 2nd, so instead of it being 50:50, my second year was single weighted and my third was double weighted.

Maybe book in a tutorial with your lecturers over summer, to see how you can get into the next grade boundary. Normally I find once i sit down and go through my work, with my lecturers, i find it a lot easier to achieve higher grades, than just looking at the written feedback on Turnitin.

Good luck

Suzan - Student Ambassador
i don't know the standards of the specific employer
Original post by beautifulworld
i don't know the standards of the specific employer

There is no specific employer. Barristers are self employed. But to obtain a place in chambers from which to practise, the OP will need a 2.1. The OP can probably achieve this if he/she piles it on next year.
Original post by Student061

Hi @Student061

It does depend slightly on the set, however, having just gone through the pupillage application process neither myself nor my peers had any applications that required a grade breakdown in the way you imply. Of course, getting a 57 may make it more difficult to secure a 2:1 overall but it is by no means out of reach. Your final degree classification is what will matter so I would work hard to do as best you can in your final year. I hope this helps!

Quick Reply