Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elles)
    Four surgeons are taking a coffee break:
    1st surgeon says "Accountants are the best to operate on because when you open them up, everything inside is numbered."
    2nd surgeon says "Nah, librarians are the best. Everything inside them is in alphabetical order."
    3rd surgeon says "Try electricians, man! Everything inside them is colour coded."
    4th surgeon says "I prefer Tabs. They're heartless, spineless, gutless and their heads and arses are interchangeable."
    Bring it :mad: Anything you can do, we can do better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Bring it :mad: Anything you can do, we can do better
    But is that due to the interchangable-ness? If so, that's cheating! :ahhhhh: :vroam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    what do you mean by non-glandular? All endocrine 'glands' are non-ductless so aren't typical of what people think of as glands (i.e. in the exocrine acinar/tubular way).
    My lecture notes say:

Single cells or clusters of cells not anatomically definable as a gland can also produce hormones, there being many examples in the digestive tract.

That's what I was going off

ReputationRep:
    But is that due to the interchangable-ness? If so, that's cheating! :ahhhhh: :vroam:
    Interchangeableness? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Interchangeableness? :confused:
    "I prefer Tabs. They're heartless, spineless, gutless and their heads and arses are interchangeable"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    My lecture notes say:

Single cells or clusters of cells not anatomically definable as a gland can also produce hormones, there being many examples in the digestive tract.

That's what I was going off
    Cool - in that case they're talking about ductless glands , not glands persay...

You'll need to double check but I think that insulin and glucagon are both secreted from endocrine tissue in the pancreas...

I think the example you gave of g-cells are as well, given that they secrete a hormone...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know.. i meant "non-glandular" in that cells/tissues that were not glands (whether ductless or not!) but could secrete hormones.

I think I am just not going to give an example, it's too fraught

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing cell & molecular in biology right now - finding it sooooo boring. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    that at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Cool - in that case they're talking about ductless glands , not glands persay...

You'll need to double check but I think that insulin and glucagon are both secreted from endocrine tissue in the pancreas...
    Yeah by alpha (glucagon) and beta (insulin) cells.

ReputationRep:
    i decided to talk about sexual reflexes in rats instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    that at uni?
    In school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    Yeah by alpha (glucagon) and beta (insulin) cells.
    Yeah - I know what cell types secrete them - I just wasn't 100% sure that they were ductless...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_wizzz)
    thank you very much elles and va va voom

they were all pre-interview and i have no idea why i was rejected...got 3A*, 8A...I didnt declare my AS grades but got 2A and 2B..predicted 3A for A2

AFAIK i have done everything you can to 'show-off' from sports, academics, work experience

all i can think of is that my personality may have come out wrong or my teachers reference wasn't that good...who knows

would volunteering once a week suffice as I want to be earning money throughout the week
    my friend worked as an auxiliary nurse in his gap year, you get paid then. he was rejected from all 4 unis but got in the next time round. he also did some travelling.

ReputationRep:
    "I prefer Tabs. They're heartless, spineless, gutless and their heads and arses are interchangeable"
    Oh that. Ah well, I'll just smile sweetly at your inferiority complex :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wow. I have just read all 11 pages of this thread right through (do I get a prize for that? ) and all I can say is some people have WAY too much time on their hands

ReputationRep:
    Oh that. Ah well, I'll just smile sweetly at your inferiority complex :p:
    Touche

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anita_xx)
    Wow. I have just read all 11 pages of this thread right through (do I get a prize for that? ) and all I can say is some people have WAY too much time on their hands
    sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anita_xx)
    11 pages of a 6 page thread? Wow!

I'm guessing you've changed the no of posts per page option, else... :confused: :confused:

:thrasher:

ReputationRep:
    Thread's gone a tad off topic now..

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.