This discussion is closed.
Amber
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
Out of wonder which university did they get into.
Southampton
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Amber)
Southampton
I thought that it was only newcastle who had entered recently or was this a while ago
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought that it was only newcastle who had entered recently or was this a while ago
Soton invite some people they reject to call them up on results day if they don't get an offers but meet their standard offer.. (Imperial did the same my year of application apparently)

hence i wouldn't really say it's "clearing" as such.. but probably to the advantage of a few people ecah year. not that you'd want to go to southampton.. :bootyshak
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Soton invite some people they reject to call them up on results day if they don't get an offers but meet their standard offer.. (Imperial did the same my year of application apparently)

hence i wouldn't really say it's "clearing" as such.. but probably to the advantage of a few people ecah year. not that you'd want to go to southampton.. :bootyshak
Whats wronge with southampton, I hadn't heard about this sort of thing before I thought that medschools gave out more offers than they have places so how do they have any extra places. You learn something new everyday
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It might have been something to do with not declaring your AS grades, because it might look slightly suspicious (you should have declared them really, as you got AABB which are good grades!).

Which medical schools did you apply for?

As you got 4 rejections pre-interview, there must be something amiss in your application. Have you seen your own reference? If not, definitely get hold of it as there may have been something there uni admissions didn't like, and also did you go through your personal statement with your teachers, rigorously/pedantically?

Also, did your application meet the minimum academic requirements for each university? (eg certain GCSE grades in certain subjects, and correct A level subjects).

Get your referee or head of 6th form/school to ask for feedback from each university as to why you were not called up for interview to any medschools.

I would say definitely gap year & reapply. For now concentrate on getting minimum of AAB, and over the holidays get more work experience etc.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Whats wronge with southampton
it's my "local" hence am allowed to be a semi snob.. & they rejected me!

I hadn't heard about this sort of thing before I thought that medschools gave out more offers than they have places so how do they have any extra places. You learn something new everyday
pleased i could be of use! i think basically, yes, they do give out more offers than places - but they have to guess both how many will place them as firm, then how many will make the grades.

therefore there's a possibility they will have extra places & evidently they'd rather fill these with people who wanted to go there originally / they interview / assessed & liked the look of but didn't think they'd have space for?
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'd say take a gap year, get some experience (contact your local hospital to see if you could be a health care assistant or get a job in a pharmacy or something like that)...then reapply. if you REALLY want to go to med school then a year out would be a pain to start, but be worth it in the end.
-EL-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why didn't you list your AS grades? By signing the declaration, you agreed to write all known qualifications and not doing so might result in your application being cancelled, your offer being withdrawn or even expulsion......You should ask PQ for advice...she will have the right answer! Good luck to you anyway!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)

It's not just soton - quite a few med schools do it - and often it is done long before results day, after may/june time a fair number of schools find that not as many people have accepted their offers as expected (even harder now the various uni's can't see what other offers an applicant has - more chance of a small number getting 4 offers and a large number getting none despite all being good applicants) - after people have made their decisions the uni's can see which applicants didn't recieve any offers for med and if they consider them to be good applicants they might be contacted and made an unofficial offer for entry through clearing. In 2003 286 people got medicine places this way (out of 7953 places in total) and 17 dentistry places out of 965 places in total.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by -EL-)
Why didn't you list your AS grades? By signing the declaration, you agreed to write all known qualifications and not doing so might result in your application being cancelled, your offer being withdrawn or even expulsion......You should ask PQ for advice...she will have the right answer! Good luck to you anyway!
If you don't certify your AS levels you're not supposed to list them
http://www.ucas.com/getting/apply05/page2.html
"You must include all GCE Advanced Subsidiary (AS) or Advanced Subsidiary VCE (ASVCE) subjects for which you have been awarded a grade and for which you have not declined certification."
Danny_AQA
Report 14 years ago
Hey there, i am leaving school in 2005, i am from manchester, and have seen the posts on here with regards to A level rejections. I have seen posts of people with A's at GCSE level, and streight A's at A level. This has made my mind up about moving to the Ukraine to study medicine.
Lugansk State medical University is recognised by the WHO, and the GMC (UK) I know this because my uncle (director of SOUTH MANCHESTER PRIVATE CLINIC , stockport) has checked it out!! the course is conducted fully in english, for 6 years including intern year, and the degree awarded is MBBS or MD. (for science A level applicants)
7 years including pre-medical year for GCSE studants.
they offer post graduate education, and after gaining the MBBS or MD you can come back to england and get a job as a SHO, as the internship year = the PRHO year.

course costs = pre med $2200
1st year med = $3000
2nd year med = $2800
3rd year = $2800
4th year = $2800
5th year = $2800
6th year (internship/PRHO) = $2800

all including on campus accomadation!

its great, any other questions visit www.lsmu.edu.ua or www.lsmu.com

any people wishing to apply for the pre-medical course starting in november 2005 (GCSE applicants) contact me at [email protected] as i will be attending the pre med then, or any other questions e mail me at [email protected] aswell :-)
Bilal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hah, Sounds like you work for that company.

Although I could be wrong.
Danny_AQA
Report 14 years ago
getting your MBBS broad in a EU country is just as good as the UK. Lugansk State Medical University offres a MBBS or MD degree conducted in the english language for 6 years including intern year = PRHO (science A level applicants)
and for GCSE enterants, 1 year pre medical, then the 6 year including intern year = PRHO
course costs are;
pre med = $2300
1st year med = $3000
2nd year = $2800
3rd year = $2800
4th year = $2800
5th year = $2800
6th year (PRHO) $2800

for any further information, visit their website at www.lsmu.com
for any GCSE enterants (pre medical course starting in nov 2005) contact me, as this is when i will be starting. my e mail is [email protected] or [email protected]

also e mail me for any general information, as lsmu do take a few days to anser queries, i will reply streight away, as im a computer geek and spend my life online :-) :hello:
Danny_AQA
Report 14 years ago
hahah, thanks but i can assure you folks i dont work for LSMU, i am starting pre-medical in nov 2005, and im new, just getting used to TSR :-) its a good link for studants WHO CANT GET INTO A MEDICAL SCHOOL IN THE UK

thanks people :-)
crana9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Danny_AQA)
hahah, thanks but i can assure you folks i dont work for LSMU, i am starting pre-medical in nov 2005, and im new, just getting used to TSR :-) its a good link for studants WHO CANT GET INTO A MEDICAL SCHOOL IN THE UK

thanks people :-)

yeah, we really want people who can't get in to do medicine (which, to be fair, is not THAT difficult. It's not a walk in the park but it's hardly impossible) to be looking after our health.
-EL-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought that to practise medicine here, oversea doctors need to sit for some exams or go through some training before they can register with the GMC. Is that university in Ukraine an exception? which other unis are recognised by the GMC?
Bilal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
yeah, we really want people who can't get in to do medicine (which, to be fair, is not THAT difficult. It's not a walk in the park but it's hardly impossible) to be looking after our health.
What you talking about mate?

Just over 50% of applications get accepted, hardly easy.
crana9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
half the people that apply, at least, are idiots.

and i know several people who got accepted and are still idiots.

You will notice I never said it was easy. I said it was not THAT difficult and was hardly impossible, but not that it was "easy" per se.
Danny_AQA
Report 14 years ago
crana, that is rubbish, you are obviously a person of low intelegance!!! :aetsch: :bootyshak

with regards to the MBBS registration of lugansk state medical university, ukraine, you can come overhere with their degrees and get limited registration with the GMC, just as you would leaving Kings college London for example. all EEA and EU medical graduates don't need to sit a test to be registerd with the GMC, although if you go to a non EU.EEA country and get awarded a medical degree, you need to sit the PLAB part 1, and PLAB part 2 (e.g. India, USA)

hope this helps people :-)
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by the_wizzz)
i've got 4 rejections and do not know why. what should i do as i really do not want a year out
Do you want to go to Uni, or do you want to be a doctor?

If it's the former, do a different degree.

If it's the later, the simplest, quickest and least expensive way is to gap and reapply.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

fxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads