The Student Room Group

I have no idea what to do

I am in Year 12 doing biology, chemistry and psychology a level. We're supposed to be starting UCAS applications soon but I still have no idea what degree I would like to do. Back in Year 11, I had my heart set on pharmacy but now after doing some more research I've changed my mind but I have no idea what I want to do instead. I think I'd like to do something more related to biology but I dont know what. I've spent ages researching but I can't find anything that I think would be enjoyable for me. I'm honestly just feeling really overwhelmed by it all and I have no clue what to tell my parents because they also had their hearts set on me doing pharmacy. If anyone had any suggestions I would be really grateful.
Original post by redslsa
I am in Year 12 doing biology, chemistry and psychology a level. We're supposed to be starting UCAS applications soon but I still have no idea what degree I would like to do. Back in Year 11, I had my heart set on pharmacy but now after doing some more research I've changed my mind but I have no idea what I want to do instead. I think I'd like to do something more related to biology but I dont know what. I've spent ages researching but I can't find anything that I think would be enjoyable for me. I'm honestly just feeling really overwhelmed by it all and I have no clue what to tell my parents because they also had their hearts set on me doing pharmacy. If anyone had any suggestions I would be really grateful.

I’m currently a third year doing diagnostic radiography, it’s great profession to join. If you have any questions about the degree or what it’s like, lmk!
medicine?
Original post by redslsa

Start attending uni open days and sign up for the course talks for a range of subjects. Would you prefer a vocational course or an academic course? A vocational course will set you on a path for a specific career, whereas an academic course will give you more time to explore career options for when you graduate. Your subject choices are good for a range of AHP healthcare courses, medicine and dentistry, but also academic courses, such as natural sciences, biochem, biomed, etc. plus all the courses that don't have specific subject entry requirements.

A good resource for careers: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
The Allied Health Professions: https://www.england.nhs.uk/ahp/role/
Scientist Training Programme: https://nshcs.hee.nhs.uk/programmes/stp/
Original post by redslsa

Have you considered Env Sci? There are lots of different fields in it that you can go into, the pay is fantastic after a few years and the starting salary for grads is better than most degrees. There are lots of different jobs available and it is a very in demmand field. I've listed The Uni Guide page for Env Sci and a BSc (Hons) at UEA. Hope this helps :smile:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/subjects/environmental-science
https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/bsc-environmental-sciences
Degrees can sound vague and confusing sometimes, if it’s not too overwhelming maybe consider what career you’d like? Work your way back from there, and research what degree would help you get there.
I’m a year 13 and I didn’t settle on my degree choice until Yr 13 and I understand just how stressful it is! It’s hard not having a plan.
Some people I know applied for slightly different degrees due to having your issue, and only fully decided once they firmed their choice after January or even more recently! So for example one of was neuroscience and another closer to medicine (but not precisely).
I know it doesn’t feel like it but you do have plenty of time. What made you set on pharmacy? What do you enjoy about biology?
I wish you luck!
Reply 6
Original post by redslsa

Have you been put off doing a degree in Pharmacy, or having a career in Pharmacy? Please note that a big majority of graduates end up in careers not related to their degrees. Coincidentally, I'm friends with a senior manager at a large IT company that did a degree in Pharmacy.

Perhaps easier said than done, but pick a degree that you think you will enjoy, and worry about a career later, as the vast majority of doors will remain open to you.
Original post by redslsa

Hi

I'm Oliver and am currently a 4th year natural sciences student at Lancaster. Picking degree options for UCAS can be very overwhelming especially when there are so many options to choose from. I remember being similarly unsure about my options when I applied. I thought I'd share a bit about my natural sciences degree as I found it to be a great flexible option that allowed me to study my favourite parts of each science.

The way natural sciences works at Lancaster is that you choose three pathways in first year from a range of science subjects including chemistry, physics, maths, biology, geography and psychology, just to name a few. After first year you can choose to alter the weighting of each pathway depending on your interests or you can even drop a pathway if you want to. This was particularly useful for me as in first year I took synthetic chemistry, physical chemistry and biochemistry pathways but in scend year I was able to drop my physical chemistry pathway to allow for a greater focus on biochemistry.

Each university will do pathways slightly differently and a have a varied range of possible combinations so definitely check that out on the relevant websites. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

One of the best things about natural sciences is the vast range of experiences you get and people you meet. Since you study alongside the single honours students across multiple departments, you get to see so many more faces and there is never a lonely lecture. It’s also great to see how all the different sciences interlink and you can often apply something you learnt in one subject to one of your other pathways which is fascinating!

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊 Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)
Original post by redslsa
As a parent myself I have a daughter who also went through a change of topic. At the end of the day it is your choice. So you want to do something biology related. Biology has many possibilities. The youngest she will be doing zoo biology. You can do things like biochemistry, micro biology, marine biology, conservation, ecology, environmental science. If you like Biology, what parts of biology do you like the most? Perhaps explore that futher into careers into that topic.
Biology & life sciences

just for fun 🙂 https://www.whatuni.com/career-guides/career-matcher/

And if you are still unsure, you can take a gap year
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by redslsa

Hey, Coventry University Student Ambassador here! 👋

I totally empathise with you, I had similar worries during my A-Levels. It's completely normal to find it difficult to narrow down from 8+ GCSEs to 3 A-Levels and then to 1 university degree, so don't expect yourself to know what you want to do right away! Firstly, I highly suggest sitting down with your parents and having a good conversation about your feelings on pharmacy and biology. It’s much easier to break down a problem with people who support and care about you - I'm sure they'll understand your change of mind!

After that, look into universities that interest you and the science degrees they offer. For example, at Coventry University, you can explore a great list of courses under the School of Health and Care and Allied Healthcare Professions, which might even introduce you to courses you haven't heard of. Here are some suggestions:

Diagnostic Radiography BSc
Dietetics BSc
Paramedic Science BSc
Pharmacology BSc
Biomedical Science BSc

I understand how difficult it can be, but the biggest advice I can give you is to choose something that truly interests you. Nothing is worse than being burnt out in a job you have no passion for. Don't feel forced to do pharmacy just to not disappoint your loved ones because ultimately, you'll be spending years studying very hard at university and then taking those skills into your career life. If you're struggling to find your passion, I suggest going to open days! They are super helpful in narrowing down your decisions; you can speak to lecturers and ambassadors like myself and really get a feel for the environment and learning materials - get inspired!

Best of luck to you, and I'm sure you'll be fine! 😊

Dorna | Coventry University Student Ambassador
Original post by redslsa

Don’t even take into account what your parents want, of course it’s an amazing thing to do something that they want you to do, but it should never be a main factor when deciding what career you want to go into.

Take the summer to think of the potential career paths in mind, write personal statements for each one, do any necessary assignments (if med then do ucat etc), and watch videos on a day to day life of these different options. Use all of these to weigh up a decision, and you’ll have a some time at the start of year 13 to speak to a career adviser about everything you’ve learnt regarding these career paths over the summer for a more professional and guided view on things. Also prepare questions to ask them, and if they do not have the answers for them, ask where to find them.

Quick Reply