The Student Room Group

Combined to triple science

(Currently in year 9) My school made us sit a paper to decide if we do triple or not at 28 people got chosen and I wasn’t one of them so can I move up in year 10 and how? I don’t know if my school lets you move up but I really need to do triple?
I really think you should ask the Head of Science that, but generally it is hard to move from combined to triple due to the rate at which new work will be covered. You would have missed so much.
In my experience, you don't need to do Triple. It doesn't afford any advantage and it is the quality of the GCSE grade you get that matters most. Aim for the highest grades and you will be fine.
Original post by stefansyed
(Currently in year 9) My school made us sit a paper to decide if we do triple or not at 28 people got chosen and I wasn’t one of them so can I move up in year 10 and how? I don’t know if my school lets you move up but I really need to do triple?

There is no difference for A Level science if you did triple or combined. [different sixth form has different entry requirement]
E.g NCS in London
https://sixthform.london/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/NCS-Entry-Requirements-2024-2025.pdf
But double is worth 2 gcse, triple is worth 3 gcse, and triple has more content, so prepares student a bit better for A Level. But combined does not limit you from A Level.
(edited 1 month ago)
Triple Science really isnt necessary im in year 11 and im doing it right now and theres only a few extra topics in each science right now and anyway when you get to college they reteach all the content at the start along with the triple content. but if you want to go ahead but personally do subjects you actually enjoy bc triple science is just unecessary stress and higher combined science is basically the same but easier and less topics
Original post by stefansyed

Unlike what others have said, if you’re planning on doing a science A Level taking triple at gcse is really beneficial. Those who did combined in my A Level Bio class lack important background knowledge (eg transcription translation) and tend to find it much more difficult as they are learning everything new. It does make a difference. But at the same time it’s not the end of the world.
Original post by LittleFire10
Unlike what others have said, if you’re planning on doing a science A Level taking triple at gcse is really beneficial. Those who did combined in my A Level Bio class lack important background knowledge (eg transcription translation) and tend to find it much more difficult as they are learning everything new. It does make a difference. But at the same time it’s not the end of the world.

Beneficial but not essential. I tend to teach to the combined for this reason, and because students tend to forget GCSE content as we go into year 12.

Quick Reply