The Student Room Group

Dofe

i never completed bronze dofe in highschool and i’m just wondering can i do gold or silver in sixth form without it? i feel like there’s rlly no point in doing it if i HAVE to do bronze id rather just jump straight to gold
Reply 1
its advised but not necessary.. i know people who havee.. they just found it slightly more challenging compared to others who did do bronze.. however i think it will take longer.. like a few more months of volunteering? but thats about it.. hope this helped!! its always best to check the dofe website aswell.. they should have an email and i remember when i did bronze.. their replys were quite quick so if any queries i would say its worth emailing them too! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by xjfrtr
its advised but not necessary.. i know people who havee.. they just found it slightly more challenging compared to others who did do bronze.. however i think it will take longer.. like a few more months of volunteering? but thats about it.. hope this helped!! its always best to check the dofe website aswell.. they should have an email and i remember when i did bronze.. their replys were quite quick so if any queries i would say its worth emailing them too! :smile:

thank you so much !! i don’t mind doing a few more months of volunteering if that’s all
Original post by okzmal
i never completed bronze dofe in highschool and i’m just wondering can i do gold or silver in sixth form without it? i feel like there’s rlly no point in doing it if i HAVE to do bronze id rather just jump straight to gold

Hi, as someone who has done Bronze and Silver I thought I'd reply to your question.

The guidance from How long is DofE? A complete guide to timescales on DofE | DofE Hero is as follows:

"If you didn’t do Silver, you must complete an additional 6 months in either volunteering or the longer of the skill/physical sections. It doesn’t matter if you’ve completed Bronze. This means Gold would take at least 18 months to complete."

Now as much as the guidance is that you don't have to, doing the bronze and silver can be beneficial if you've never done something similar as Gold can be very tough depending on the terrain, location and weather conditions. By doing the bronze and silver which are lower distances and hours per day and doing the 2 day expedition for bronze and 3 day expedition for silver it's a steady increase and gives you an opportunity to work out what works for your group and what you'd do differently before Gold which has to be done in an unfamiliar location and is over 4 days.

There also isn't a rush as you have to age 24 to complete it and a lot of people will do it aged 21 / 22 with their friends met through university so bear that in mind too.

Hope that helps, Ella
Reply 4
Original post by okzmal
thank you so much !! i don’t mind doing a few more months of volunteering if that’s all

youre welcomee!!.. one tip.. keep juice or energy drinks on you.. like lucozade sport..? three or 4 bottles.. genuinely this will help so much because dofe is SO tiring and painful..and maybe cereal bars??.. im pretty sure i lost so much weight after aswell because there wasnt much time to eat and plus we had to make our own food.. and also for dinner i would suggest to bring something that looks hard to cook like pasta and pasta sauce.. because when our instructor saw us make pasta he was like woah and we passed the thing loll.. every morning we just had the golden syrup oats from the quakers tub.. all you have to do is pour in water i thinkk.. its not hard to pass but it is easy to fail aswell soo just be mindful when the instructor is aroundd.. dofe was fun and memories but sooo painful.. we got chased by cows and i fell twice because i didnt tie my shoe laces properly and broke my nose 🤣 so yeahh.. be carefull.. be preparedd.. dont over pack because your back will die.. stay safe and most importantly enjoy itt..

(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by okzmal

This was exactly my thoughts i feel a bit of regret now knowing that i could've just jumped straight to Gold as i have completed the bronze and now have the silver DofE real expedition coming up in a couple weeks 😭

Quick Reply