This discussion is closed.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
ok, what is the quickest most effective way to destroy the buggers!

i cant taste a thing and i'm coughing everywhere! :hmpf:

i've taken ibuprofen, drinking lots of orange juice (i'm on my third big carton) and lots of water too...
parsimony
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
ok, what is the quickest most effective way to destroy the buggers!

i cant taste a thing and i'm coughing everywhere! :hmpf:
ok this is pretty disgusting but it works..

2 large spoons of honey, one garlick, juice from half citrone,,put it alltogehter..add a little water so it becomes more fluid and drink it..

it really helps..no joke..
heminder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
to cure a cough: stab your throat with a kitchen knife...
to cure your taste buds: paint your tongue green...
and if your nose is runny: flush it down the loo...
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
get in bed, turn all the radiators up, and have a long rest. don't get out even if you are really hot and sweaty. have a hot water bottle to make you really hot.

hey worked for me, I felt much better in the morning, and stopped sniffing. plus I had a BAD cold, blocked sinuses and ears and stuff.
Sam_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
2 large spoons of honey, one garlick, juice from half citrone,,put it alltogehter..add a little water so it becomes more fluid and drink it
where i come from thats called a "hot toddy", but it doesnt have garlic in it and the water is hot.

oh yeh, it has whiskey in it too

now thats what i call a good home remedy!
heminder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by parsimony)
2 large spoons of honey, one garlick, juice from half citrone,,put it alltogehter..add a little water so it becomes more fluid and drink it..

it really helps..no joke..
my mum makeses that... i always seem to need the loo really bad after 10 minutes of drinking it... it's dangerous stuff you know... recipee for destruction of your inner gut...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1w)
get in bed, turn all the radiators up, and have a long rest. don't get out even if you are really hot and sweaty. have a hot water bottle to make you really hot.

hey worked for me, I felt much better in the morning, and stopped sniffing. plus I had a BAD cold, blocked sinuses and ears and stuff.
yup - sweat it out - don't take paracetamol or anything that might stop you from developing a temperature.

Although decongestant spray and happynose are essential if you can't hack the bunged up feeling and/or get a red nose
yummy123
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
I asked my mum this and she is a doc =D

basically there is no way to cure a cold but there are methods in which the recovery processes can be sped up i.e.the ones people have mentioned...but remember to take 2 to 6(depending on you) paracetomals per day and wrap up warm if going out
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
yup - sweat it out - don't take paracetamol or anything that might stop you from developing a temperature.

Although decongestant spray and happynose are essential if you can't hack the bunged up feeling and/or get a red nose

The ultra best thang for sore throats is to gargle with soluble aspirin, the maximum dose, throughout the day...REally helps me, and I get MUTHA sore throats...Also getting really hot in bed (!) especially your neck area seems to help too...

As to a cold, you can't do anything, you can only relieve the symptoms a little bit if you're lucky, alas
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
You're not supposed to eat much when you have a cold, for some reason.
:confused:
feed a cold, starve a fever?
SciFi25
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Go for a long long run or sweat it out. Works for me and I have never suffered more than the beginnings of a cold for years.
MattG
Rep:
?
I'm going to sound really pedantic here, but what make of orange juice are you guzzling?

-

Okay..get some oranges down you. Also maybe honey and lemon in hot water [for soothingness].

Bung on a scarf. Don't let the chills get to your neck and chest.

Once your throat's a bit better, you might want to graduate onto a glucose based drink to up your energy [lucozade, YEAH!!]

My dad's a doctor. He reccommends ibuprofen + paracetamol and keeping up the fluids. You're not supposed to eat much when you have a cold, for some reason.

Its "Princes pure orange juice from concentrate"..local shop jobby

i tried to eat a tuna sandwhich, but gave up because i couldnt taste it and not tasting it felt weird. on Ibuprofen

*scarf is on
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
haha, whoops.

OKAY, I just looked it up and they're both wrong. You're supposed to try to keep it even, by neither stuffing, nor starving.
I always get really hungry when I've got a cold....even when I can't taste much. I figure my body knows what it needs

I CANNOT recomend happinose enough though...I wish I'd found it years ago - much better than vaseline on a sore nose.

My colds always go straight to my nose and stay there for ages - I go through hankys like there's no tomorrow....after years of mistreatment even the slightest use of the softest tissue causes my nose to turn bright red and start going all flaky and bleaugh.....but not anymore thanks to happinose...changed my colds completely
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think I have more vitamin C in my little finger. From concentrate = sweetened crap. Either shell out for some tropicana, or just shovel some oranges in there (:
there's no evidence to suggest that vitamin C will improve the symptoms or duration of a cold

and mattG, i could tell you, but then i'd have to kill you.. :p:
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
I CANNOT recomend happinose enough though...I wish I'd found it years ago - much better than vaseline on a sore nose.
what's in it? colds lurk around my nose for ages too - i find sudafed quite good, although my nose feels like a wind tunnel afterwards
SciFi25
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
there's no evidence to suggest that vitamin C will improve the symptoms or duration of a cold

and mattG, i could tell you, but then i'd have to kill you.. :p:
Ahh, but Vitamin C is known to be needed in a healthy immune system maybe it wont help the cold but it might stop you getting something on top while your immune system is stretched.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There is evidence for zinc though isn't there? although it'll only shorten a cold slightly....and it costs a bomb to buy

And echinacia has been shown to be a little bit effective but only if you take it all the time and not just when you get a cold IIRC.
MattG
Rep:
?
i've just eaten a huge bag of ministrals....eek
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what's in it? colds lurk around my nose for ages too - i find sudafed quite good, although my nose feels like a wind tunnel afterwards
I don't find it makes any difference to the blocked up feeling (although my grandma found it did...I think my nose is just stupidly resistant to anything now) - just eases the "tissue fatigue"...it's got white soft parafin as the base with some eucalyptus, geranium oil and menthol in it*. It cools and numbs the skin on your nose and seems to put back with tissues take out.

*just had a cold so had some in my pocket - I don't generally memorise the ingredients of various balms
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SciFi25)
Ahh, but Vitamin C is known to be needed in a healthy immune system maybe it wont help the cold but it might stop you getting something on top while your immune system is stretched.
people our age who start gettings things on top of a cold (e.g. chest infection, pneumonia) are likely to be immunosuppressed in some form anyway.

and there's no evidence to suggest that suddenly taking large doses of vit C during a cold will reduce your chances of picking up anything more sinister anyway.

(Original post by PQ)
There is evidence for zinc though isn't there? although it'll only shorten a cold slightly....and it costs a bomb to buy

And echinacia has been shown to be a little bit effective but only if you take it all the time and not just when you get a cold IIRC.
i'm not sure - i don't think there's any cast iron proof but i personally think zinc is more placebo than anything else. my mum takes echinacia and swears by it, i don't think there was a lot of difference when they compared the use of echinacia with a placebo in a double-blind stat test though.

it's all swings and roundabouts as far as pharmacology and the placebo effect go.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads