The Student Room Group

Is Sociology Alevel 'soft'

I've been changing my alevel options around so much the past few months because it's so difficult to choose 3 I like. For context, I am a pretty well-rounded student predicted 7+ in all my gcses. I would also like to go to a Russel Group Uni after 6th form and am in a program for Oxbridge.

Literally all i hear about are 'soft' Alevels and I'm just very confused about what to do. My first choice of Alevels were:
History
English Lit and Lang
Economics
EPQ

Although, I know nothing about economics and the teacher is leaving, meaning crappy sub for a while, and English Lit & Lang is 'too soft'. So, I'm changing it up to
History
English Lit (I love poems okay dont judge)
EPQ

I have literally no idea for my final one. Ideally, I would study Philosophy but my 6th form doesn't offer it, Film & Media studies are 'soft', and there's no way I'm doing maths because I would just have to jump off a bridge :wink:

My options are either Alevel Physcology or Alevel Sociology. Right now I'm leaning more towards the latter but apparently it's 'soft'- would this limit my Uni choices?
First of all, what would you like to do at university or what are you leaning towards? ie humanities subject, science subject/stem, Computing/IT
(edited 1 month ago)
From an admissions POV there is no such thing as a ’soft’ subject; only ‘essential’ and less commonly ‘preferred’.

Outside of those, do whatever you enjoy and are likely to get the best grade in.
I know someone that succesfully got an offer from Oxford (law) that did Maths, English litt, Sociology and French. I definitely think Sociology might be soft but doesn't come in the way. English litt on the other hand IS NOT a soft subject in my opinion. Economics/History isn't either. You should be fine.

AND, my other friend that got into Cambridge (geography) also did Sociology and only three subjects (geography, sociology and english litt)
Original post by Ellahughxs
I've been changing my alevel options around so much the past few months because it's so difficult to choose 3 I like. For context, I am a pretty well-rounded student predicted 7+ in all my gcses. I would also like to go to a Russel Group Uni after 6th form and am in a program for Oxbridge.
Literally all i hear about are 'soft' Alevels and I'm just very confused about what to do. My first choice of Alevels were:
History
English Lit and Lang
Economics
EPQ
Although, I know nothing about economics and the teacher is leaving, meaning crappy sub for a while, and English Lit & Lang is 'too soft'. So, I'm changing it up to
History
English Lit (I love poems okay dont judge)
EPQ
I have literally no idea for my final one. Ideally, I would study Philosophy but my 6th form doesn't offer it, Film & Media studies are 'soft', and there's no way I'm doing maths because I would just have to jump off a bridge :wink:
My options are either Alevel Physcology or Alevel Sociology. Right now I'm leaning more towards the latter but apparently it's 'soft'- would this limit my Uni choices?

i think you should just focus on studying the subjects you want to study !!

of course, look at potential uni courses in the future, see what subjects they want and need, and if it gives you freedom, go with the subjects you prefer !!!

have you thought about going to another college / sixth form that offers philosophy ? don't unnecessarily limit yourself to studying an A level you'd be less passionate about if you could study the one you want more elsewhere 🙂

Quick Reply