The Student Room Group

How do I actually revise for yr10 mocks 💔

Hi guys I’m new to this but I am starting my year 10 mocks I 2 weeks and I haven’t actually revised at all😭😭 I know it’s bad but I also know that if I don’t make a start now I’ll be effed💀 I am a HUGE procrastinator and I’ve never got good grades because I have no clue on how to actually do it and retain information and I’m SOO stressed about mocks , I know they aren’t worth getting that stressed over but I can’t help it - so if you guys have ANY advice please let me know 💗💗
Reply 1
Original post by Waytoonervous
Hi guys I’m new to this but I am starting my year 10 mocks I 2 weeks and I haven’t actually revised at all😭😭 I know it’s bad but I also know that if I don’t make a start now I’ll be effed💀 I am a HUGE procrastinator and I’ve never got good grades because I have no clue on how to actually do it and retain information and I’m SOO stressed about mocks , I know they aren’t worth getting that stressed over but I can’t help it - so if you guys have ANY advice please let me know 💗💗

hey, i'm in year 10 too and I'm in the middle of my mocks!! I can't emphasise this enough make a plan and stick to it! go on notes and write the day and chose 3 different topic to study and study that for the day, then at night make a plan for the next day, never go three days without doing the same subject eg you do biology today, do it in two days As well. TAKE BREAKS!!!!! study for 45 min, take a 15 min break! make flashcards! either write them by hand or use apps like quizzlet, what exam board are you using? ocr? aqa? exedel? and what subjects too? I've got more tips but I kinda need to know what exam board your using so I can give more resources,

hope that's helpful x
Reply 2
Hi, I completely sympathise and understand. I'm personally someone who's quite 'lazy' when it comes to revision; I will often revise only last minute. However this means that I have developed a few key ways to revise more efficiently. While Y10 mocks certainly aren't something to stress about too deeply, depending on your school's internal system you may be given target/predicted grades for your GCSEs which while don't really mean anything if you have a strong work ethic can really undermine your confidence. These are my tips on HOW to revise since no one ever seems to answer this properly, but just as a warning all revision methods are super subjective to respective students and what works for me/others may not work as well for you. For science I split everything into relevant chapters/topics. If you have CGP books for science they are FANTASTIC at cutting down unnecessary textbook yap and presenting the barebones knowledge that you actually need. I skim read it quickly, spend about 5-10 mins on each chapter just familiarising myself. Maybe watch a couple of spec specific yt vids if I don't get something. Then on a separate piece of paper I write some key facts/diagrams down that I know I will not have learnt via skimming - these can be turned into flashcards or just reference points to go over. Then do some practice questions. All in all spend no more than an hour straight on revision as your focus severely depletes after about 20 minutes. Then just keep repeating this periodically. Again this is personal to me and what I have found works for my system of memorisation. For maths - flashcards for key formulas but otherwise purely practice qs. For english - flashcards for key lit terms like caesura/enjambement etc, you can find pre-made sets on quizlet, just go over them quickly. Look at annotations of key texts on youtube and quizlet too - there isn't so much memorisation here as UNDERSTANDING, so read slowly over parts you don't get and really utilise your teachers/friends. For languages - flashcards and spatial repetition for key terms. PLS PLS PLS use exemplars for all subjects, they are available online if you search for your exam board and 'exemplars' or 'model work' etc. Also go over answer structures for more essay based subjects. If there is a specific subject you need help with let me know, otherwise this is already a pretty lengthy paragraph and I hope has a few good points to get you started with :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Waytoonervous

I find the best way to revise depends on the subject, but the best way to retain information in general is to test yourself to practice recalling information. This can be done with flash cards, which I find are good for specific pieces of information (quotes, formulae etc). Often people make them themselves but I found that was a bit of a waste of time, so used websites such as Quizlet and Physics and Maths Tutor.
For some some subjects, particularly maths, its easiest to just do past papers, and use them to find what you need to practice more.
For essay based subjects, the structure of your writing is just as important as the information within it, so use youtube to find videos on how to structure the answers.
I know it can be intimidating, but once you get to it you'll realise they're just like any other test, and you'll be wanting to just get to the actual exams already 😆. Any questions feel free to ask :smile:
P.S the last night or two before a tricky exam, find some good music and find a dark corner to cram in some revision, it really makes a difference
Reply 4
Original post by plenka
I find the best way to revise depends on the subject, but the best way to retain information in general is to test yourself to practice recalling information. This can be done with flash cards, which I find are good for specific pieces of information (quotes, formulae etc). Often people make them themselves but I found that was a bit of a waste of time, so used websites such as Quizlet and Physics and Maths Tutor.
For some some subjects, particularly maths, its easiest to just do past papers, and use them to find what you need to practice more.
For essay based subjects, the structure of your writing is just as important as the information within it, so use youtube to find videos on how to structure the answers.
I know it can be intimidating, but once you get to it you'll realise they're just like any other test, and you'll be wanting to just get to the actual exams already 😆. Any questions feel free to ask :smile:
P.S the last night or two before a tricky exam, find some good music and find a dark corner to cram in some revision, it really makes a difference

did you do French GCSES? bc if you did I have a French writing test tmr and im cooked
Original post by plenka
Thank you so much x
Original post by alaalnd
Hi, I completely sympathise and understand. I'm personally someone who's quite 'lazy' when it comes to revision; I will often revise only last minute. However this means that I have developed a few key ways to revise more efficiently. While Y10 mocks certainly aren't something to stress about too deeply, depending on your school's internal system you may be given target/predicted grades for your GCSEs which while don't really mean anything if you have a strong work ethic can really undermine your confidence. These are my tips on HOW to revise since no one ever seems to answer this properly, but just as a warning all revision methods are super subjective to respective students and what works for me/others may not work as well for you. For science I split everything into relevant chapters/topics. If you have CGP books for science they are FANTASTIC at cutting down unnecessary textbook yap and presenting the barebones knowledge that you actually need. I skim read it quickly, spend about 5-10 mins on each chapter just familiarising myself. Maybe watch a couple of spec specific yt vids if I don't get something. Then on a separate piece of paper I write some key facts/diagrams down that I know I will not have learnt via skimming - these can be turned into flashcards or just reference points to go over. Then do some practice questions. All in all spend no more than an hour straight on revision as your focus severely depletes after about 20 minutes. Then just keep repeating this periodically. Again this is personal to me and what I have found works for my system of memorisation. For maths - flashcards for key formulas but otherwise purely practice qs. For english - flashcards for key lit terms like caesura/enjambement etc, you can find pre-made sets on quizlet, just go over them quickly. Look at annotations of key texts on youtube and quizlet too - there isn't so much memorisation here as UNDERSTANDING, so read slowly over parts you don't get and really utilise your teachers/friends. For languages - flashcards and spatial repetition for key terms. PLS PLS PLS use exemplars for all subjects, they are available online if you search for your exam board and 'exemplars' or 'model work' etc. Also go over answer structures for more essay based subjects. If there is a specific subject you need help with let me know, otherwise this is already a pretty lengthy paragraph and I hope has a few good points to get you started with :smile:
Thank you so much i really appreciate the tips , I’ve bought some revision books so that should help x

Quick Reply