The Student Room Group

A bunch of questions about clearing and accommodation :(

I think I might miss my firm and insurance choices and might have to go into clearing but I have so many questions:
1) with my firm/insurance I could live home, so my student finance is based on that, but would I be able to change it (to living away from home) if I go into clearing and get more funding? Would it take long?
2) would I have time to find student accommodation after results day?
3) I heard some people get share homes on spareroom but if I go somewhere far from home, I might not be able to view and see if it’s legit or not, or what kind of flatmates I have, so would you recommend me still renting a room for a year?
4) as a Muslim, I don’t drink or party so I’d rather avoid roomates who stay up, get drunk and party, but beggars can’t be choosers 😞. I’m guessing I don’t have time to find accommodation this perfect and do all this after results day so I might have to take a gap year.
I’m very stupid and don’t know much about moving out or uni, but thanks for reading.
Hey, Coventry University Student Ambassador here! 👋

Starting university can be a mix of excitement and anxiety, but don't worry! Your worries are valid, and I'll do my best to address them all 🤗
Regarding your student finance, you can report any changes in your circumstances, such as:

Changing your course, university, or college

Repeating a year

Changing your name or marital status

Changing your Tuition Fee Loan amount

Moving to a new place

So, whether you get into your firm/insurance choices or not, just update your details with Student Finance and you'll be fine! The current timescale for responses is around 19 working days and you can check their guidance here for any updates.

For student accommodation, universities usually have different deadlines for applications, but they anticipate delays and often have plenty of rooms available. It's also very important to check the student accommodations before applying to make sure its what you're looking for as you'll have to sign a contract. At Cov Uni, we offer virtual tours which can be very useful if you're living far away. If you're still concerned, try calling the universities you're interested in to ask about their deadlines and policies for late applications.

From my friends' experiences, renting a room or sharing accommodation often works out better after the first year as you might find friends who also may be looking to share. Feeling safe and comfortable in your accommodation is important for a smooth transition to university and peace of mind during your studies. Renting a spare room could be an option, but it usually involves sharing communal areas, which might not suit you. Private accommodation or university-recognized accommodations might be more suitable.

Regarding your religious beliefs, university experiences can vary and you might find roommates you really connect with! If you come across any disruptive students, every university has procedures to handle such situations. You could also consider studio accommodations to avoid communal spaces and ensure a more private living space. At Cov Uni, we offer contracts ranging from 39 to 43 weeks, and you can always choose different accommodations after that. I wouldn't suggest taking a gap year just for accommodation purposes as I think you're likely to find a suitable place, even if it's not university-associated 🤞You can also explore normal studio renting near campus. Check out UniHomes for more insights on available accommodations aswell.
I hope this helps! Everyone has concerns when starting university, but prioritize your well-being and take your time, I'm sure you'll find a convenient place to stay. Best of luck with your further studies!

Dorna | Coventry University Student Ambassador
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey, Coventry University Student Ambassador here! 👋
Starting university can be a mix of excitement and anxiety, but don't worry! Your worries are valid, and I'll do my best to address them all 🤗
Regarding your student finance, you can report any changes in your circumstances, such as:

Changing your course, university, or college

Repeating a year

Changing your name or marital status

Changing your Tuition Fee Loan amount

Moving to a new place

So, whether you get into your firm/insurance choices or not, just update your details with Student Finance and you'll be fine! The current timescale for responses is around 19 working days and you can check their guidance here for any updates.
For student accommodation, universities usually have different deadlines for applications, but they anticipate delays and often have plenty of rooms available. It's also very important to check the student accommodations before applying to make sure its what you're looking for as you'll have to sign a contract. At Cov Uni, we offer virtual tours which can be very useful if you're living far away. If you're still concerned, try calling the universities you're interested in to ask about their deadlines and policies for late applications.
From my friends' experiences, renting a room or sharing accommodation often works out better after the first year as you might find friends who also may be looking to share. Feeling safe and comfortable in your accommodation is important for a smooth transition to university and peace of mind during your studies. Renting a spare room could be an option, but it usually involves sharing communal areas, which might not suit you. Private accommodation or university-recognized accommodations might be more suitable.
Regarding your religious beliefs, university experiences can vary and you might find roommates you really connect with! If you come across any disruptive students, every university has procedures to handle such situations. You could also consider studio accommodations to avoid communal spaces and ensure a more private living space. At Cov Uni, we offer contracts ranging from 39 to 43 weeks, and you can always choose different accommodations after that. I wouldn't suggest taking a gap year just for accommodation purposes as I think you're likely to find a suitable place, even if it's not university-associated 🤞You can also explore normal studio renting near campus. Check out UniHomes for more insights on available accommodations aswell.
I hope this helps! Everyone has concerns when starting university, but prioritize your well-being and take your time, I'm sure you'll find a convenient place to stay. Best of luck with your further studies!
Dorna | Coventry University Student Ambassador

Thank you so much!!!!! This was very helpful and puts my mind at ease 🙂 I appreciate your advice
As far as accommodation is concerned it varies according to the university and is something you need to check. As examples Swansea and Aberystwyth have offered guaranteed accommodation to clearing students provided you apply before a certain date. Bristol and UWE have ended up placing students in Newport 31 miles away as there is a shortage of student accommodation in Bristol. You will need to check this and costs as these vary massively depending on where you apply.
Many 'top' Uni had this accommodation crisis last year - not just Bristol - but managed to keep it off the front pages.

University management at many Unis decided at the last minute to accept more Clearing applicants to make up for the deficit in overseas postgraduates (ie. ££). At Bath, as just one example that you didnt hear about, this meant that about 100 undergrads with literally nowhere to live.

This is an increasing problem - it will get worse this year at many of the Unis that rely on overseas ££ start to panic about income again. My advice is to be very careful about applying through Clearing.

Quick Reply