The Student Room Group

English or chemistry a-level?

I'm not fully decided on which to have as my fourth; I'm taking maths biology and german for sure. Chemistry would be better for future careers, but i like english gcse much more as a subject. Thoughts?
Original post by audi.f103
I'm not fully decided on which to have as my fourth; I'm taking maths biology and german for sure. Chemistry would be better for future careers, but i like english gcse much more as a subject. Thoughts?

Hi I do both chemistry and English literature. Are u wanting to do English language or both?
Original post by audi.f103

I would highly recommend not doing 4 A levels - that is if you aren't doing further maths. Everyone's always banging on about how hard they are compared to GCSEs. To be fair there is a lot more content and stuff you need to cover yourself for A levels. Universities don't care about a 4th A level. It's not worth getting 4 mediocre grades over 3 brilliant ones.

As far as I'm aware, English is useful if you want to go into history, law, journalism, other essay-related subjects etc. Note that I'm hugely biased against English as I hated it during my whole two GCSE years.

People often think that biology & chemistry work well together, which perhaps they do (particularly if you're going to do medicine in which universities almost certainly want them both) but I'm taking biology without chemistry next year, so yeah biology without chemistry isn't unheard of.

I know this isn't very helpful, but it depends on what you want to do. I don't really know what I want to do in the future tbh.

Quick Reply