The Student Room Group

Mum scammed out of 15K

My mum has done a very stupid thing, she was talking to a guy from america and she sent him lots of money over 5 months, because of lies he told her. It wasn't her money she used, she stole from my grandparents (this is eveything they had). I don't want anything bad said about my mum, shes an idiot and I have shouted at her and told her she should've told me when the first time happened and I would have helped her to cut him off.
Since this is a crime that goes across the sea, its international, and since even national crimes are hard to prosecute, also mums a criminal and a victim, so we're hesitant to contact the police as ya know she stole!
Its not my mistake to fix, but its had me sick mentally and physically and I need my grandparents to be secure.
Mum can't afford to pay them back either
to me, it looks like justice was served. she stole and got stolen from. grandparents r the real victim who need to go to the police but at the same time its quite sad snitching on ur daughter.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
to me, it looks like justice was served. she stole and got stolen from. grandparents r the real victim who need to go to the police but at the same time its quite sad snitching on ur daughter.

Yeah she ****ed up, but they wont go to the police
There's not much to really say or do tbh. It's one of the oldest scams and she fell for it in a really bad way by stealing

It sounds cruel but this isn't your burden to bear and you can't magically give them the money back - this has to be between your mum and her parents. I don't think there would be much the police could do, esp without more questions about who owns the money etc.

Is this the end of it though? what is the risk or her stealing and sending more? People get WAY deep into these scams and get fed a v convincing line that their friends and families 'will never understand us' etc etc, she'll be probably feeling pretty vulnerable and stupid in any case and will need some support to avoid compounding this with other bad choices.
Reply 4
She no longer has access to their accounts, I made sure of that yesterday, and Yeah its just a messed up situation that I can't fix and neither can she. Shes promised shes stopped talking to him, but why didn't she do that months ago when she first started sending him money. It wasn't a large amount of money all at once, it was 1k there, 500 there etc. She's an idiot, right now I kinda hate her because last year my grandparents funded my studies, and if she did this then I'd would have had to drop out.
My partner has said its not fair of them to make me be an adult in this, that i shouldn't have been burdened with the knowledge or the guilt, kinda hard to do when my grandparents have always been there for me and I can't help them in anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
My mum has done a very stupid thing, she was talking to a guy from america and she sent him lots of money over 5 months, because of lies he told her. It wasn't her money she used, she stole from my grandparents (this is eveything they had). I don't want anything bad said about my mum, shes an idiot and I have shouted at her and told her she should've told me when the first time happened and I would have helped her to cut him off.
Since this is a crime that goes across the sea, its international, and since even national crimes are hard to prosecute, also mums a criminal and a victim, so we're hesitant to contact the police as ya know she stole!
Its not my mistake to fix, but its had me sick mentally and physically and I need my grandparents to be secure.
Mum can't afford to pay them back either
i know this isn't helpful , but i am so proud of you to take the responsibility so solve something very stupid of your mum to do , and hopefully you solve it .

i wish you go far in life ❤️

Quick Reply