The Student Room Group

Loan overpayment advice needed

I have a bunch of things making this situation from two years ago very confusing and need some clarification on if im doing the right thing.

Ive got sent a letter by student finance saying i owe them almost £4000.
I got payed on 3rd may and suspended studies on 11th of may, My course ended on the 19th of june.

Two years ago i had this same letter and got finance advice from my university, Turns out my had university sent the dates to student finance incorrect. Saying that I suspended my studies in January (Im pretty sure 2022 but need to check this) They said they would fix it, but didnt.
Now that im trying once again to fix it im doubting if im going to make it worse on myself or not. I dont know if i should continue fighting for this to be fixed in hope i wont have anymore or at least as much overpayment debt.

Im disabled and not working (Im on PIP and UC(LCWRA) ) I have autism and mental health struggles. I cannot handle this situation well and am basically alone in it. I need some advice for all of this.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Hey, first of all, when you suspended your studies on May 11th, how many teaching weeks were left of the term/year? If there was teaching after this, and you didn't complete the rest of the terms course, I'd imagine you'd have to pay them back as you've been paid for studies you didn't complete.

If there was no teaching dates after May 11th, did the University admit they sent the wrong dates in writing? Or does it say online anywhere the proof of all these dates?
Reply 2
Original post by Bexh133
Hey, first of all, when you suspended your studies on May 11th, how many teaching weeks were left of the term/year? If there was teaching after this, and you didn't complete the rest of the terms course, I'd imagine you'd have to pay them back as you've been paid for studies you didn't complete.
If there was no teaching dates after May 11th, did the University admit they sent the wrong dates in writing? Or does it say online anywhere the proof of all these dates?

Hello, Yes. I just figured out the end dates. I left on the 11th of May and the course officialy ended on 19th of june. Im aware there will likely be some repayment required. Im just unsure if all the stress im going through trying to get dates fixed is even worth it or if it could make it worse.
I tried to fix this with my university 2 years ago. Luckily I still have all the emails. I have proof of the correct date and emails saying from them saying the dates are incorrect and that they will fix it.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ChloeKHJ
Hello, Yes. I just figured out the end dates. I left on the 11th of May and the course officialy ended on 19th of june. Im aware there will likely be some repayment required. Im just unsure if all the stress im going through trying to get dates fixed is even worth it or if it could make it worse.
I tried to fix this with my university 2 years ago. Luckily I still have all the emails. I have proof of the correct date and emails saying from them saying the dates are incorrect and that they will fix it.

Okay so yes you will owe them a repayment, and having the emails helps.

If it was me, I would personally try to figure out roughly how much you think you owe them. I assume the amount you received on 3rd May was to cover the dates of 3rd May - 19th June. So work out how much of that money actually went on your fees (3rd May - 11th May), and the remaining amount is what you owe them. (If I'm understanding this right.)

Also check if there is anything in a contract or on documents that say there is a leaving fee involved. I doubt there will with Student Finance, but worth checking.

Outcome 1: It is near the £4000 mark, so you pay it.

Outcome 2: It is less than £4000. Email Student Finance again. Say you have worked out that the remainder of the course would be around £x repayment from the period of 11th May - 19th June, so please could you have a written breakdown of the remaining monies so you can understand why the full £4000 is owed. When they get back to you, you can see if they still have the dates at January, or correct at 11th May. If it is wrong, you can re-email (attaching proof from your University) that you left on 11th May and it was wrongly submitted by your Uni.

It is worth fighting for if it is just down to wrongly submitted dates because it is a fair amount of money.

Hope this helps a little. It is only my own opinion on what I would do.
Reply 4
Ive spoken to SFE multiple times and they say the only people who can fix the dates are my university, Who send me in circles to different people saying that they can't do anything. So I know SFE arent going to fix the dates themself even with proof. But asking for a written breakdown on why I owe them £4000 would definately be very helpfull just so i know im getting everything right. Thank you very much for all your advice.
Reply 5
Original post by ChloeKHJ
Ive spoken to SFE multiple times and they say the only people who can fix the dates are my university, Who send me in circles to different people saying that they can't do anything. So I know SFE arent going to fix the dates themself even with proof. But asking for a written breakdown on why I owe them £4000 would definately be very helpfull just so i know im getting everything right. Thank you very much for all your advice.

Yes definitely try get a breakdown. I'd say while you wait for that to come through, continue to call the University for answers no matter how frustrating it is. If you still don't receive confirmation of date change, tell them you'd like to raise a formal complaint with the University and are 'seeking external legal advice'. Even if you aren't it should scare them into correcting it. Feel free to message me as I've found a template for an email I can send you!
Reply 6
I will give them a bit to respond, if it doesnt get sorted soon I do plan on talking to Citizens advice about what to do and legal stuff as SFE have told me they are giving me until the 10th of july and not only that but it takes 18 days for their systems to update.
Im hoping this next person is actually able to help. If not I just may need that email template.

Quick Reply