The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

I am just finishing my first year at Leeds University: Feel free at ask questions!!

Hi there! I'm just finishing off my first year at Leeds so if anybody has any questions please feel free to ask. I study in the school of media and communication (don't feel comfortable saying which course) and previously stayed in Montague Burton. Let me know if you need any advice xx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi there! I'm just finishing off my first year at Leeds so if anybody has any questions please feel free to ask. I study in the school of media and communication (don't feel comfortable saying which course) and previously stayed in Montague Burton. Let me know if you need any advice xx

How much of the social life would you say is primarily clubbing and going to bars and things (please be honest and not just tell me what I want to hear lol)? I was a little concerned about applying to Leeds as I heard it has a reputation for this, and that isn't really me, as I wouldn't want to go clubbing often, but I also obviously want to make friends and not feel left out.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2

heyy, what do you think about carlton hill...?
Reply 3
How much of the social life would you say is primarily clubbing and going to bars and things (please be honest and not just tell me what I want to hear lol)? I was a little concerned about applying to Leeds as I heard it has a reputation for this, and that isn't really me, as I wouldn't want to go clubbing often, but I also obviously want to make friends and not feel left out.

heyy...i feel the same i am not really into the drnking culture haha if you are going to leeds would love to chat :smile:
Original post by kishz
heyy...i feel the same i am not really into the drnking culture haha if you are going to leeds would love to chat :smile:

Hi! I'm considering applying for next year. Are you the same or do you have an offer for this year?
Reply 5
So the bad news is that this stereotype is primarily true. Leeds has one of the best night life's in the UK and most people will find themselves in a club at some point. At least one person in your flat will likely frequently go out and you will hear a lot about it.

The good news is that Leeds also has the reputation to be extremely welcoming and diverse. I know people who don't go clubbing or drink at all and they're lovely people. Nobody I know has ever peer pressure others or judged those who don't go out.

If you don't want to go clubbing etc my main advice is to put yourself out there. There are societies such as sober socials , cosy games and dice sock which don't involve drinking or clubbing that many introverted or quieter people go to. It may be slightly longer to find your people, but they are there, you've just got to put a bit more effort in to find them.
Reply 6
Original post by kishz
heyy, what do you think about carlton hill...?

Carlton Hill is relatively new as an accomodation, I just know it's close to Aldi. From what I can tell it appears to be similar in style to White Rose, which is a cool accomodation. I don't know anybody in there and haven't been inside so don't know much about it, but it looks cool! Seems to be a bit further from the university though.
Sorry I can't give you more info :frown:

Hi! What are your opinions on James baillee park? I’m quite social so I thought this would be a good fit front what I’ve heard! Thanks x
Reply 8
Original post by jamaicanpatty3
Hi! What are your opinions on James baillee park? I’m quite social so I thought this would be a good fit front what I’ve heard! Thanks x
Heya! James Bailey seems to be the most social of the Headingly accomodation. It's in quite a pretty area and is a bit more of a newer building.
My issue with it is that it's about 25 minutes from the uni and over half an hour to the city centre, but if that's ok with you I'd say go for it!!

heya! out of curiosity, what did you think of montague burton as an accommodation? considering it as one of my options cos it seems p sociable, but not super sure of how true that is in practice lol

hi !! i have a couple questions !!

which supermarkets do you prefer ? either because it's close to your accom or cost effective for a student budget

any hidden gems / favourite places in the student union we should know about ??? we tried looking around on saturday but it was like a maze in there there's so much

how much free time to do have each week between your classes ?? i guess that also relates to your contact hours though . im just tryinf to see how much free time i'd have if any :flower2:
heya! out of curiosity, what did you think of montague burton as an accommodation? considering it as one of my options cos it seems p sociable, but not super sure of how true that is in practice lol

Hiya! Monty B is my favorite of all the accomodations (yes I'm biased lol) since I've found it great value for money. It's one of the more social accomodations but it's not a party one, meaning you can socialized and still have it be quiet enough to do work.

It's close to the city centre and university and has a homely feel. You'll be in a flat of 4 or 9 and since it's on the cheaper end you're more likely to find down to earth people.

Cons (depending on outlook) include that we have the strictest residents life who often come round to tell people off for being too loud. Usually this doesn't mean anything but I know people who have had disciplinary action against them.

If a sociable accomodation is a must for you, Monty B is usually a good bet since it's known for having a good sociability rating while still giving people time to study.
Reply 12
Hi! I'm considering applying for next year. Are you the same or do you have an offer for this year?
oh i have the offer this year
Original post by charmaine.d
hi !! i have a couple questions !!
which supermarkets do you prefer ? either because it's close to your accom or cost effective for a student budget
any hidden gems / favourite places in the student union we should know about ??? we tried looking around on saturday but it was like a maze in there there's so much
how much free time to do have each week between your classes ?? i guess that also relates to your contact hours though . im just tryinf to see how much free time i'd have if any :flower2:

Heyy!

The most cost effective supermarket within walking distance is Aldi and many students use it. The issue is that it's almost half an hour away both ways, meaning unless you have a large group and split a Uber together it's going to be a long walk back. This means a lot of people give up on it within the first term. Morrison's is close to the uni, mabey around 10 minutes? And is probably the most popular among uni students. This however is less convenient for anyone with a Headingly accomodation, I'm not sure about the options up there.

Yeah the union is a maze haha. Old bar is on the lower floor of the uni and is a popular hang out place, same with Terrace which is more of a cocktail bar. Stylus is on the lower area of the union too and is basically a huge convert Venus which is extremely fun to go too, you'll see many artists go to play there. Ofc there's the co-op and common ground which I'm assuming you've already seen?

Most people favourite thing in the union is Crossroads, an area full of video game consoles and board games created to help people relax. Many societies book it out but it's also usually available for anyone to use!

Free time completely depends on your course. In first year the longest day I had would be 4 hours long and I would have Fridays and weekends off. History students I knew had 2 days off along with weekends. Chemistry students on the other hand only had weekends and has days around 6 hours or longer. Contact hours and free time can't really be predicted until you get into uni. Id say the more scientific your course the more contact hours you have is a good prediction though.

Hope this helps :smile:
Heyy!
The most cost effective supermarket within walking distance is Aldi and many students use it. The issue is that it's almost half an hour away both ways, meaning unless you have a large group and split a Uber together it's going to be a long walk back. This means a lot of people give up on it within the first term. Morrison's is close to the uni, mabey around 10 minutes? And is probably the most popular among uni students. This however is less convenient for anyone with a Headingly accomodation, I'm not sure about the options up there.
Yeah the union is a maze haha. Old bar is on the lower floor of the uni and is a popular hang out place, same with Terrace which is more of a cocktail bar. Stylus is on the lower area of the union too and is basically a huge convert Venus which is extremely fun to go too, you'll see many artists go to play there. Ofc there's the co-op and common ground which I'm assuming you've already seen?
Most people favourite thing in the union is Crossroads, an area full of video game consoles and board games created to help people relax. Many societies book it out but it's also usually available for anyone to use!
Free time completely depends on your course. In first year the longest day I had would be 4 hours long and I would have Fridays and weekends off. History students I knew had 2 days off along with weekends. Chemistry students on the other hand only had weekends and has days around 6 hours or longer. Contact hours and free time can't really be predicted until you get into uni. Id say the more scientific your course the more contact hours you have is a good prediction though.
Hope this helps :smile:

thanks so much !! im p sure my course has 18-20 contact hours/week !

my friend and i applied for carlton hill and i think google maps said walking was 20 mins ?? probably realistically more like 15. hopefully it's not too much of a trek bc i don't wanna splash out on pricier groceries :dumbells:

Hi,

How was your experience of sharing a bathroom? I am undecided whether to apply for an accommodation with an ensuite or a shared bathroom but the price difference is staggering. I've been looking at Montague Burton and like the sound of it. How was your experience in general, and is it sociable? Also, is it noisy on a night?

Thank you : )
hey!
i have an offer for film, photography + media this sep
which accom do people studying media generally choose? im deciding between charles morris, central village + cityside but ive heard that firstly central village is super oversubscribed + full of international students so not v sociable as ppl keep to themselves but are the cm stereotypes true of everyone being super stuck up? im set on ensuite self catered but i also wanna b close to campus
did you join any film/media related societies or leeds tv and if so are there any you particularly recommend?
Hi,
How was your experience of sharing a bathroom? I am undecided whether to apply for an accommodation with an ensuite or a shared bathroom but the price difference is staggering. I've been looking at Montague Burton and like the sound of it. How was your experience in general, and is it sociable? Also, is it noisy on a night?
Heya!
Honestly being in a shared bathroom get way too bad of a reputation than it deserves. In Monty B you'll be in a flat of either 4 or 9. I was in a 9 person meaning we had 3 bathrooms for 4 guys and 5 girls. The worst thing that happened in the bathroom was that toilet paper would run out quickly and people kept forgetting to buy some.
Considering the huge difference in price between shared on en+suite, I personally would absolutely go shared bathroom. Plus if you have friends round it saves them having to go into the private area of your room and can just go into the shared ones.
The same goes for the shower xx
Hi,
For your other questions, I'd say Monty B is pretty social. I had a very good experience as I found it to be full of down to earth people who are respectful. But I've got friends in other flats who haven't had good experiences, so it depends on which flatmates you get.

With the exception of freshers it's quiet at night. We have a strict residents life meaning noise can't go above a certain level at night. Plus I've found just asking people to quiet down often helps as in uni people understand the importance of concentration and sleep. Personally I've loved my time there :smile:
hi so my last alevel exam is tomorrow and I'm really scared I'm going to miss my offer because they've not gone so great. do you know of anyone who was close (like a grade off?) and Leeds let them in anyways? one of my friends was telling me she knew someone who got in anyway because they had a good epq grade. I'm supposed to be getting an a* in mine so if this is true that would be so reassuring. I really want to go to leeds and just can't stop thinking I've thrown everything away :frown:

Quick Reply