The Student Room Group

University through college - is this the right course for me?

I have applied for a sociology and criminology BA Hons degree at a college local to me, I have completed a Level 3 WJEC in criminology and need a C grade in this to get on the degree course, this is not a problem as I achieved a C in my last mock and was pretty confident with the actual externally assessed exam and studied long hours for months, however, when looking for courses I wished to do law or psychology to find there was no courses available for this at any college which isn't too far to get to, i do not want to go to university so didn't bother looking at courses taking place within universities. I looked at three local colleges and this sociology and criminology degree is the only course that interests me however as already stated, I would like to study psychology and law and would aspects of these be studied in the sociology and criminology course, with regards to WJEC Level 3 criminology, unit 2 had some aspects of psychology and unit 4 had some aspects of law so is there a chance there will be some aspects of psychology and law to study in a BA Hons sociology and criminology degree? Also, WJEC Unit 2 and unit 4 Criminology had aspects of sociology but I just want to study law or psychology but nowhere has a course except for sixth form A-Level which I could not do as I didn't achieve the GCSE grades needed. I have an interview regarding the BA Hons sociology and criminology course in July at the college campus and I'm just worrying unsure of this course is for me and will include some aspects of psychology and law like A-Level criminology did! I want to go into probation work after doing this degree or if not probation, to help people rehabilitate after being in prison, serving a community sentence etc or teach criminology or work within mental health services.
Hi,
What GCSE grades did you receive?

I've linked a couple of the courses available at YSJ, that you may meet the requirements for as well as the foundation years. The foundation years are for students that don't meet the grade requirements for the undergraduate degree, and help prepare you for when you start the undergraduate degree.

The Psychology course at YSJ requires 3 GCSE's (including Maths and English at C4/4 or above) and 120 UCAS points Psychology BSc (Hons) | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

The foundation Psychology course requires 1 GCSE (including English at C/4 or above) and 48 UCAS points Psychology Foundation Year | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

The Law course requires 3 GCSE's (including Maths and English at C4/4 or above) and 104 UCAS points
Law LLB (Hons) | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

The foundation Law and Social Science course requires 1 GCSE (including English at C/4 or above) and 48 UCAS points Law and Social Sciences Foundation Year | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

Some general information about foundation degrees at YSJ Foundation Years | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

I hope this helps,
Suzan - Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by YSJstudents
Hi,
What GCSE grades did you receive?
I've linked a couple of the courses available at YSJ, that you may meet the requirements for as well as the foundation years. The foundation years are for students that don't meet the grade requirements for the undergraduate degree, and help prepare you for when you start the undergraduate degree.

The Psychology course at YSJ requires 3 GCSE's (including Maths and English at C4/4 or above) and 120 UCAS points Psychology BSc (Hons) | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

The foundation Psychology course requires 1 GCSE (including English at C/4 or above) and 48 UCAS points Psychology Foundation Year | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

The Law course requires 3 GCSE's (including Maths and English at C4/4 or above) and 104 UCAS points
Law LLB (Hons) | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

The foundation Law and Social Science course requires 1 GCSE (including English at C/4 or above) and 48 UCAS points Law and Social Sciences Foundation Year | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

Some general information about foundation degrees at YSJ Foundation Years | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

I hope this helps,
Suzan - Student Ambassador

Hi, I am interested in the psychology foundation year and the law and social sciences foundation year, am I correct in thinking foundation years are like an extra year at sixth form? I have a friend who left year 13 in 2023 and they went onto another sixth form to do a foundation year before going to uni this year. Do I pay for the foundation year? I achieved a grade 4 (unlucky, I almost achieved a grade 5 but was around 8 marks off) in English language and literature, I currently hold a grade 2 in maths. I would rather not live at uni, as this is a foundation year are you able to go home when you don't have a lesson or is it different to sixth form and can you apply at the end of August or will it be too late as I believe the courses start in the middle of September?
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Quick Reply