The Student Room Group

Vet school foundation/gateway courses

Hi everyone, I’m approaching my end of A1 year at college. I do Biology, chemistry and English.
I’m really struggling with chemistry, and in my big end of year tests I got a D, however I’m working really hard and I just scraped a C in my progress assessment last week. In biology I’m on a C, but I’m not too worried about biology because i enjoy it and I only got a C in my end of year exam because I priorities chemistry. I’m on an A/B in English.
I highly highly doubt I’ll get the AAA predicted grade this fall, and my plan was to do a gap year and travel and apply next year. I have 2 seasons of lambing, stables, cattle and shadowing experience and in summer im planning on getting some on a pig farm and in an exotic animal rescue abroad as we have family out there.

I was just wondering, would it be worth me applying for a gateway course this fall? I’m aware they’re very competitive but I’m having a year out anyway so I could do the foundation year instead of my gap year which I’m really happy to do. I’m not sure what my predicted grades are going to be, but my mum went to university and I’m not on bursery so I don’t think I’ll be eligible for some courses.. I’m not sure.

Basically, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the foundation course requirements, which unis do it etc? Id really appreciate it as I am conscious I might not get an A in chemistry which in that case I’ll have to resit..which if possible I don’t want to do.

Thank you!
If you meet the criteria for gateway courses then there isn’t really a reason not to give it a go (expect some have application limits but I assume you will apply to different unis on your second round), at least you might get some application experience for the next cycle if you do end up having to reapply. I would be careful of some gateway courses though because whilst I don’t know the ins and outs anymore I know some only have very few places for the vet course after the foundation year and you need to be in the top % or something to get through. The gateway courses which I know are “safe” are RVC, Bristol and Nottingham, and again I haven’t kept completely up to date with the newer gateways (e.g. Harper Keele) but I would read the fine print carefully before deciding to apply/take an offer - you don’t want to end up being stuck on a course you don’t want to do. But you would need to meet the widening participation criteria, which is listed on their individual pages somewhere. It is good on you that you are open to a gap year to get where you want to be though! Many applicants end up having to do this anyway but it is less daunting I guess if you are prepared for that eventuality.
Original post by Lucy_VetGirl
Hi everyone, I’m approaching my end of A1 year at college. I do Biology, chemistry and English.
I’m really struggling with chemistry, and in my big end of year tests I got a D, however I’m working really hard and I just scraped a C in my progress assessment last week. In biology I’m on a C, but I’m not too worried about biology because i enjoy it and I only got a C in my end of year exam because I priorities chemistry. I’m on an A/B in English.
I highly highly doubt I’ll get the AAA predicted grade this fall, and my plan was to do a gap year and travel and apply next year. I have 2 seasons of lambing, stables, cattle and shadowing experience and in summer im planning on getting some on a pig farm and in an exotic animal rescue abroad as we have family out there.
I was just wondering, would it be worth me applying for a gateway course this fall? I’m aware they’re very competitive but I’m having a year out anyway so I could do the foundation year instead of my gap year which I’m really happy to do. I’m not sure what my predicted grades are going to be, but my mum went to university and I’m not on bursery so I don’t think I’ll be eligible for some courses.. I’m not sure.
Basically, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the foundation course requirements, which unis do it etc? Id really appreciate it as I am conscious I might not get an A in chemistry which in that case I’ll have to resit..which if possible I don’t want to do.
Thank you!

Hey!

Final year vet student here!

RVC do a really good foundation course, which I would definitely check out.

If you do not achieve your predicted grades you have a few potential options....

Ensure you get the grades during your real A levels and then reapply the following year once you have your results.

Consider doing another degree first (Bioveterinary Science) is very common. Then transfer as a post-graduate onto the Veterinary Medicine course.

Consider studying aboard (common places include Czech republic, Slovakia, Romania and Bulgaria).

If you have another other questions feel free to ask away, I would be more than happy to help! 😊

Original post by yazmineh
i kid you not i was in the exacttt same position as you, i do chem bio english and struggled with chem awfully. got predicted AAC having achieved BBD in my AS levels and a got a place in RVCs gateway course, the only downside is that yeah you have to fit certain criteria to apply to RVC one, but check anyway bc it works off a point system and perhaps ur school is one of their contextual schools or smth, see if you can still apply to sutton trust summer schools, i did notts one, if u get into RVCs one, you're able to apply to their gateway course even if you dont fit the requirements i believe. !!
ik bristol uni do a gateway course, harper adams do one but its awfully competitive, like 10 people only get to move onto the main course after the foundation year or smth??, give it a go anyways ermm and notts too but pretty sure notts focus on those AS grades/predicted rather than personal statement. i got rejected from there, but again, worth a try !!
The foundation course at harper Adams and Keele for HKVS has 10 places for each course, and all 20 people have a place reserved at HKVS providing they successfully complete the MMI and meet the grade requirement to progress, so we are not competing internally against peers or against external applicants

Quick Reply