The Student Room Group

A level further statistics 1 (FS1) edexcel 2024 June 14

What did you guys think? How did you do the last question about the Pento game with Sam/ Tessa? I think I lost like 14 marks due to the last 3 parts of that question whoops.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It was an arithmetic series with the money he could win I think. You then used the expected number of wins np from the formula book for binomial. The problem I had is I kept on coming out with 1/25 (n^2-20n) instead of 16n. Does anyone know where I went wrong as I couldn't see why it wasn't working.
Reply 2
Original post by tomas829
It was an arithmetic series with the money he could win I think. You then used the expected number of wins np from the formula book for binomial. The problem I had is I kept on coming out with 1/25 (n^2-20n) instead of 16n. Does anyone know where I went wrong as I couldn't see why it wasn't working.
That's what my friend and I got to.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3

I had exactly the same problem with that part. How did people answer the last two parts of question 7?
Reply 4
I also got that and so did over half my class, we suspect that the exam board may have got it wrong or we all made the same mistake.
Yh I think the issue is it wasn’t a series because he got 2 then 4 and only gets 2w on his w’th win. This also is definitely no where near the answer when you use it as the amount he gains. I only realised after tho and got 20n too so I’m very confused
what did you guys get for var(x) for the pgf
Original post by itsyash_123
what did you guys get for var(x) for the pgf

6?
Reply 8
Anyone else feeling really stressed after that? That was my last further maths exam and I hate that it's now out of my control
Original post by orderly-shelter
6?

yh and what was your var(x^2) for the first question

97 or soemthing like thst
Reply 11
what did you guys use for question 5, the factory question with 3% of something having a fault, poisson approximation or binomial distribution?
(edited 1 month ago)

Original post by alx2346
what did you guys use for question 5, the factory question, poisson approximation or binomial distribution?

I cannot remember the question well but I think I used binomial distribution.
Original post by Euan1871
I also got that and so did over half my class, we suspect that the exam board may have got it wrong or we all made the same mistake.

No I made the same mistake but it is acc 16 it’s because when getting 20 u find the mean no. Of wins first and then use that to calculate the amount gained but that’s not right. Ur express the profit in terms of the random variable and then do the expected value which gives 16
Reply 15
Original post by notmeyou
I cannot remember the question well but I think I used binomial distribution.

i might be cooked then, i used poisson just because N was large(n=100 and n=80) and p was small( p=0.03) and teh question was about a hypothesis test
Original post by notmeyou
did you do E(X^4) - (E(X))^2 cus i got some large number asw
Original post by alx2346
i might be cooked then, i used poisson just because N was large(n=100 and n=80) and p was small( p=0.03) and teh question was about a hypothesis test
i used binomial asw it said proportion of the fault was 0.03
did you do E(X^4) - (E(X))^2 cus i got some large number asw

Yeah
well ggs chat im cooked

Quick Reply