The Student Room Group

Autism diagnosis

I just got diagnosed with autism this morning and although I'm not surprised and was kind of expecting it (I had a diagnosis of SAD/Social anxiety since around 6 months now), I feel a bit in disbelief like an out of body experience like its not me who's been diagnosed. My younger sibling has autism and SM and my other sibling has ADHD. My dad is also on the ASD although my parents are separated and so I don't see him. How can I cope better with this diagnosis?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I just got diagnosed with autism this morning and although I'm not surprised and was kind of expecting it (I had a diagnosis of SAD/Social anxiety since around 6 months now), I feel a bit in disbelief like an out of body experience like its not me who's been diagnosed. My younger sibling has autism and SM and my other sibling has ADHD. My dad is also on the ASD although my parents are separated and so I don't see him. How can I cope better with this diagnosis?

hi
im diagnosed with adhd and dyslexia
and i understand what u are going through
here are some tips
i hope help
and remeber ur not alone pm if u want to tlk
Give yourself time
People react to a diagnosis of autism in different ways.
For some, it's a relief to find out why they or their child think, feel and act the way they do. For others, it can be a shock.
Try to give yourself time to come to terms with the diagnosis.
Remember:

help and support is available

even if things are hard now, they can get better

you are still the same person as before

autism is not an illness or disease with treatments or a "cure"

autistic people have things they're good at as well as things they need help with

You might feel alone when you are first diagnosed.
and many people diagnosed with autism have become great peopl such as
Albert Einstein
Anthony Hopkins
Charles Darwin
Bobby Fischer
Bill Gates
Michelangelo (not the turtle)
Jerry Seinfeld
Sir Isaac Newton
Nikola Tesla
etc
hope this helps
Hi
Also autistic
I find it sort of feels strange for the first couple of months even if you already knew before the diagnosis
Part of me found myself thinking about it in all aspects of life like I wonder if I do this as I'm autistic
Now a couple of years after diagnosis I don't think about it as much and have stopped caring what people think
In addition to the people above there are other autistic people such as Wentworth Miller, Christine McGuiness , Chris Packham and many others who are still alive
I also found the TV show called a kind of spark really good
I'm in the process of getting diagnosed with autism - which is highly suspected - and I understand how you feel. When I was 10, I was diagnosed with GAD.
It wasn't until recently when I was discussing my GAD with a GP, when she turned to me and just asked "your symptoms sound more like autism, has anyone ever talked to you about ASD?"
And literally just like that, it feels like the world has been lying to you because for the past 8 years people have just looked the other way to how I am and act.
I'm still in the process of understanding it all, but don't let it affect you.
ASD is something that you have, but it doesn't define you as a person.
You have to let it sit, and allow yourself to cope with the diagnosis, but at the end of the day you're still yourself.
This diagnosis doesn't mean you're a changed person, it's just something that's always been there and now it's been brought to light.

Quick Reply