The Student Room Group

I need help understanding chemistry for my mocks

How do I understand chemistry? I get topics C1, C2 and C3 but anything at all other than that in Paper 1 I literally cannot do. I dont get the concepts no matter how much I learn it and i just dont get it. pls help
i do aqa triple btw
Original post by asdagkshdgaskdh
How do I understand chemistry? I get topics C1, C2 and C3 but anything at all other than that in Paper 1 I literally cannot do. I dont get the concepts no matter how much I learn it and i just dont get it. pls help
i do aqa triple btw

its probably because you are not listening in lesson or just not doing revision that is effectivie i am finsihing my GCSE, what i do if i don't know something is watch https://www.youtube.com/@Cognitoedu channel he helps break down the problems and understand things, like when i was revising things for my gcse like even the night before the exam i realised how something just never stick in my head, but kept on reading over the info and my brain knew because i kept coming back to it that it needs to remember this info so stuck in my head, and the main thing is c1,c2,c3 is the easy units just wait till you get towards the end you need to enjoy what you are learning otherwise you are not going to remember it. And when learn something in science it not just about learn the theory word for word try to learn why something happens this means you have a deep level of understanding and you will remember the stuff rather than just remembering words.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by aditya nair12344
its probably because you are not listening in lesson or just not doing revision that is effectivie i am finsihing my GCSE, what i do if i don't know something is watch https://www.youtube.com/@Cognitoedu channel he helps break down the problems and understand things, like when i was revising things for my gcse like even the night before the exam i realised how something just never stick in my head, but kept on reading over the info and my brain knew because i kept coming back to it that it needs to remember this info so stuck in my head, and the main thing is c1,c2,c3 is the easy units just wait till you get towards the end you need to enjoy what you are learning otherwise you are not going to remember it. And when learn something in science it not just about learn the theory word for word try to learn why something happens this means you have a deep level of understanding and you will remember the stuff rather than just remembering words.

and yea c4 is one of the harder units, if you don't sit down and effectively revise that unit you will feel terrible about it
i do aqa triple btw

is there anything specific you want?
Original post by aditya nair12344

how do i revise effectively? idk how to revise for chemistry
I recommend using books they're the only things that helped me
i do aqa triple btw
I struggled with a couple topics in paper 1 and I broke down my revision so that it wasn't so discouraging. I started off with understanding the content, basically I watched every video on the freesciencelessons topic playlist and made some brief notes of what I understood and didn't get at all. And then I watched the cognito version of the sub-topics I didn't understand much and updated my notes (I recommend you don't make more than 1 or 2 pages of notes otherwise it looks like a lot of content to learn).

After that I looked at the AQA spec and went through what I needed to know they basically mention what students are supposed to know and what they don't need to learn and I went through my revision guides (I use CGP and Oxford revise) and highlighted only the content explicitly referenced to in the spec. Obviously, there will be practicals you need to learn so I used the AQA practical handbook which was helpful and the PMT required practical notes to summarise the main parts I needed to know.

Once you understand and summarise the content onto one or two pages, you can convert them into flashcards or mindmaps if that's more convenient to learn from. Once that's done read through the content again and make sure you understand it all, if you don't go back to a video or your revision guide.

In order to understand the content when it seems really difficult, I try to narrow it down to what I specifically don't understand: like maybe you don't understand the process of electrolysis for example, so you could watch a freesciencelessons/cognito video of that or reference to a revision guide or PMT notes on that topic.

I hope that helps and if you want I could type up my summarised notes of any sub-topics you need for paper 1!
How I revised for Chem (my worst science!):

did a daily Cognitoedu.org quiz on the content to find knowledge gaps

Watched the Cognito video for the topics i got wrong

Did the Cognito questions for these topics

Used the practice question tabs on Cognito to get exam questions and then marked them

If i still didn’t understand i read the pages on the topic in my cgp book and then answered the questions

One thing i found helpful for retaining boring stuff was putting my textbook at one end of the garden and then a notebook at the other end and reading the content, running to the other end and trying to write as much as i could remember

Also freesciencelessons is goated so check that out!

Original post by *LifeHappens*
I struggled with a couple topics in paper 1 and I broke down my revision so that it wasn't so discouraging. I started off with understanding the content, basically I watched every video on the freesciencelessons topic playlist and made some brief notes of what I understood and didn't get at all. And then I watched the cognito version of the sub-topics I didn't understand much and updated my notes (I recommend you don't make more than 1 or 2 pages of notes otherwise it looks like a lot of content to learn).
After that I looked at the AQA spec and went through what I needed to know they basically mention what students are supposed to know and what they don't need to learn and I went through my revision guides (I use CGP and Oxford revise) and highlighted only the content explicitly referenced to in the spec. Obviously, there will be practicals you need to learn so I used the AQA practical handbook which was helpful and the PMT required practical notes to summarise the main parts I needed to know.
Once you understand and summarise the content onto one or two pages, you can convert them into flashcards or mindmaps if that's more convenient to learn from. Once that's done read through the content again and make sure you understand it all, if you don't go back to a video or your revision guide.
In order to understand the content when it seems really difficult, I try to narrow it down to what I specifically don't understand: like maybe you don't understand the process of electrolysis for example, so you could watch a freesciencelessons/cognito video of that or reference to a revision guide or PMT notes on that topic.
I hope that helps and if you want I could type up my summarised notes of any sub-topics you need for paper 1!
If you could type up the notes that would be great! Thanks

Quick Reply