The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Warwick or Southampton for Psychology?

Hey guys, I have to decide which one of the two to firm and I'd like to hear which one you would pick if you were in my place for firm and insurance for psychology. Thanks!
Hi ! @navvvv
First of all congratulations on both your offers, Its great to know that you are considering going to Southampton university!
I am not a psychology student myself but I have compiled some information from the website that you might find helpful. I will also ask any reps that do psychology so they can provide with more detail.
According to The Guardian Southampton is ranked 19th in the UK and Warwick is ranked 22nd so both have fairly high ranking. In terms of the course structure, you do a range of core modules plus you get to pick an optional module from within psychology(Psychology of Mental Health) or from another subject area. Similarly in year 2 you again do the core modules and choose an optional module from psychology (Introduction to Health Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience), or you can follow your interests and career plans by choosing modules from other subject areas in the University. In year 3 you can choose up to two optional modules from outside of psychology . In terms of assessment, in year 1 it is 63% written exam, 28% coursework and 9% Practical exam ; in year 2 it's 56% written assessment, 43% coursework and 1% practical exam. I couldn't find a breakdown for year 3on their degree page but I suppose its similar.
Aside from that , you get support from your Personal academic tutor (PAT) to help you with any problems related to the course, we also have a student hub that available to you for any problems that you might have ( financial help, mental health etc ) and there is also an advice centre in the student union for extra support!
The student life is also great in my opinion but of course it depends on your preferences and what you are looking for. I would recommend Southampton as I have enjoyed my experience so far, city centre isn't far plus there is a good transport link. May I ask if you are planning to live in the student accomodation? If so, you get free Unilink bus pass which you can use to travel throughout the city, to and from the Highfield campus where your course is situated.
Hope that is helpful, if you have any other questions please let me know!
Pranjal
1st year student
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quick Reply