The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Day in the Life of a Fashion Student at BCU

Hey everyone!
I’m Emily, and I study BA(Hons) Fashion Design at BCU. I typically have scheduled uni time 2-3 days a week. This is what a typical day looks like for me…

8AM Wake up. I like to sleep in as long as possible! But on days where I have uni, I like to wake up with enough time for breakfast and to get ready to leave on time.

9:30 AM Leave for uni. I live in student halls about 15 minutes away from campus, so I like to walk to uni.

10AM Class begins… My scheduled time at uni varies every day. Sometimes I’ll receive a lecture from my tutors and will then have work to complete. Some days I have scheduled tutorials where I can receive feedback on my current assignments.
My day can include anything from making patterns and sewing, to building my portfolio, to draping and experimenting with designs, or even completing photoshoots or research tasks.

1PM Lunch!

2PM Back to class. My afternoons in uni will usually mean catching up on previous work and private study.

5PM Home time. I walk back home around 5pm. I typically like to have a rest when I get home and I’ll grab something to eat.

6-11PM Free time. My evenings can vary from having society meet-ups to attend, to continuing with some uni work at home, or heading out to the gym. I like to cook my dinner too, and will try and spend some time with my flat mates if they’re free.

There is definitely no two days the same as a fashion student some more chaotic than others!
If you have any questions about studying fashion, going to BCU or about uni in general, let me know!

Emily :smile:
Student Rep at BCU
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hey everyone!
I’m Emily, and I study BA(Hons) Fashion Design at BCU. I typically have scheduled uni time 2-3 days a week. This is what a typical day looks like for me…
8AM Wake up. I like to sleep in as long as possible! But on days where I have uni, I like to wake up with enough time for breakfast and to get ready to leave on time.
9:30 AM Leave for uni. I live in student halls about 15 minutes away from campus, so I like to walk to uni.
10AM Class begins… My scheduled time at uni varies every day. Sometimes I’ll receive a lecture from my tutors and will then have work to complete. Some days I have scheduled tutorials where I can receive feedback on my current assignments.
My day can include anything from making patterns and sewing, to building my portfolio, to draping and experimenting with designs, or even completing photoshoots or research tasks.
1PM Lunch!
2PM Back to class. My afternoons in uni will usually mean catching up on previous work and private study.
5PM Home time. I walk back home around 5pm. I typically like to have a rest when I get home and I’ll grab something to eat.
6-11PM Free time. My evenings can vary from having society meet-ups to attend, to continuing with some uni work at home, or heading out to the gym. I like to cook my dinner too, and will try and spend some time with my flat mates if they’re free.
There is definitely no two days the same as a fashion student some more chaotic than others!
If you have any questions about studying fashion, going to BCU or about uni in general, let me know!
Emily :smile:
Student Rep at BCU
hi
i live in birmingham and not big fan
i was wondering hw good bcu is or any unis in brum
specifically if possible as an architect student
thanks
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
hi
i live in birmingham and not big fan
i was wondering hw good bcu is or any unis in brum
specifically if possible as an architect student
thanks

Hi there,

Although I study Fashion design, I hope I can give you some advice...

I study in the same building as the architecture students - The Parkside Building - here at BCU. Most of the creative subjects are based in this part of the campus, and it's a really great creative space. I find it feels open and spacious, but still has a professional feel. And, in terms of general function besides being a creative space, there's lots of places to eat on campus, the library is just over the road from your main study space, and there's opportunity to work collaboratively with other subjects and departments too.

I can't speak about architecture from personal experience, but I've recently seen graduate work at the Inspired Festival and was really impressed by the architecture work on display. I'd suggest checking out the BA Architecture Instagram to see what students are getting up to: https://www.instagram.com/bcu_architecture/

Have you attended any of the open days? I think this could help you get to know the uni a bit better if you have chance to come along. The next one is 29th June, 9am-3pm. As you know Birmingham well already, it could be beneficial for you to meet some of the architecture tutors and see your study space for more information - but no pressure to come along!

Here's the open day booking link if you need it: https://100976engagecms.campusnexus.cloud/undergraduate-open-day-29-june-2024?EventID=a09b48d6-ca2d-4a72-8321-59ed20e7a1c6

Hopefully this helps, but feel free to ask any more questions! As for other unis in Birmingham, I'm not sure if anyone else offers architecture courses, but it might be worth a look on their websites too.

Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi there,
Although I study Fashion design, I hope I can give you some advice...
I study in the same building as the architecture students - The Parkside Building - here at BCU. Most of the creative subjects are based in this part of the campus, and it's a really great creative space. I find it feels open and spacious, but still has a professional feel. And, in terms of general function besides being a creative space, there's lots of places to eat on campus, the library is just over the road from your main study space, and there's opportunity to work collaboratively with other subjects and departments too.
I can't speak about architecture from personal experience, but I've recently seen graduate work at the Inspired Festival and was really impressed by the architecture work on display. I'd suggest checking out the BA Architecture Instagram to see what students are getting up to: https://www.instagram.com/bcu_architecture/
Have you attended any of the open days? I think this could help you get to know the uni a bit better if you have chance to come along. The next one is 29th June, 9am-3pm. As you know Birmingham well already, it could be beneficial for you to meet some of the architecture tutors and see your study space for more information - but no pressure to come along!
Here's the open day booking link if you need it: https://100976engagecms.campusnexus.cloud/undergraduate-open-day-29-june-2024?EventID=a09b48d6-ca2d-4a72-8321-59ed20e7a1c6
Hopefully this helps, but feel free to ask any more questions! As for other unis in Birmingham, I'm not sure if anyone else offers architecture courses, but it might be worth a look on their websites too.
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU

ok thanks
i think i might apply there now

Quick Reply