The Student Room Group

Joining British army

Want to join but I'm from a northern Ireland Irish background, but I personally don't feel very nationalist. Do you think I will be shunned? I only want to join as a musician so I am very unlikely be deployed.
Original post by Isabel Steele
Want to join but I'm from a northern Ireland Irish background, but I personally don't feel very nationalist. Do you think I will be shunned? I only want to join as a musician so I am very unlikely be deployed.

I don't see how that will matter at all, to be honest. You aren't under obligation to talk about your political views, and if anything, the British Army is likely to be generally supportive of the Union rather than the Republic. If you meant being shunned by people at home, well, like you say, you will be a musician. If people are really that judgemental that they would prevent you having your dream job because of their political beliefs, well, that's on them. I would say go for it. You're just going to be a musician. I don't really see how it's any of anybody else's business. Do what you want.
Original post by Isabel Steele

Also, unless you come from a family of staunch Republicans, you are unlikely to come across anyone else whose opinion would matter.
Reply 3
No, you won't be shunned; there's Northern Irish join the Armed Forces.

Why do you think you won't be deployed? Suggest you do some more research on the role of musician.

Quick Reply