The Student Room Group

self study A Level Maths

i want to take bio chem maths and english lit. i get 9s with very minimal revision and with maths i dont bother revising at gcse level.

the way that my skls blocks work means that english lit and maths clash. either i swap english lit for further maths or drop it.

i was thinking of taking bio chem english lit and further maths (but self study maths during further maths like at the back of the classroom and ask for help when needed- which i feel like would be rare considering AS content doesnt seem too complex at all but idk abt A2).

i feel like i just need to practice a lot and i can get that A*. there r tons of resources online plus the textbooks.

is this a dumb idea? i also plan to get a headstart in A Level Maths this summer. i like learning and dont have much to do other than go outside with friends for 2-3 hrs max and then stay inside all day. maybe read for 20 mins. might as well spend a bit doing maths. i also plan to learn other things like maybe coding or improve my writing skills, maybe even write a novella or smth

but ye should i self study maths (which i think would be faster tbh idk lessons r slow) or drop english lit (i rlly wanna take it at least in the beginning)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
What are your plans after A Levels? Do you want to go to university? And what field do you want to study?
Original post by AaronLikesMaths
What are your plans after A Levels? Do you want to go to university? And what field do you want to study?

well i want to go into STEM but moreso the biochemistry aspect. though i feel like i have a talent in maths, i find the other side of science more interesting.
Original post by ismaelishere
i want to take bio chem maths and english lit. i get 9s with very minimal revision and with maths i dont bother revising at gcse level.
the way that my skls blocks work means that english lit and maths clash. either i swap english lit for further maths or drop it.
i was thinking of taking bio chem english lit and further maths (but self study maths during further maths like at the back of the classroom and ask for help when needed- which i feel like would be rare considering AS content doesnt seem too complex at all but idk abt A2).
i feel like i just need to practice a lot and i can get that A*. there r tons of resources online plus the textbooks.
is this a dumb idea? i also plan to get a headstart in A Level Maths this summer. i like learning and dont have much to do other than go outside with friends for 2-3 hrs max and then stay inside all day. maybe read for 20 mins. might as well spend a bit doing maths. i also plan to learn other things like maybe coding or improve my writing skills, maybe even write a novella or smth
but ye should i self study maths (which i think would be faster tbh idk lessons r slow) or drop english lit (i rlly wanna take it at least in the beginning)

no its a good idea. i had to self teach myself further maths since it clashed with one of my a levels. Channels i recommend for self teaching maths is TLMaths (he has a full AS and A level playlist lasting a total of 24 hours, covering everything in an insanely easy-to-understand way so that youre understanding the logic instead of blindly putting numbers into formulas) and Zeeshan Zamurred (which i recommend for quicker revision for termly exams or mocks - he breaks things down like a recipe, its amazing).

but to clarify, are you going to be doing 5 a levels? or 4?
Original post by catolinani
no its a good idea. i had to self teach myself further maths since it clashed with one of my a levels. Channels i recommend for self teaching maths is TLMaths (he has a full AS and A level playlist lasting a total of 24 hours, covering everything in an insanely easy-to-understand way so that youre understanding the logic instead of blindly putting numbers into formulas) and Zeeshan Zamurred (which i recommend for quicker revision for termly exams or mocks - he breaks things down like a recipe, its amazing).
but to clarify, are you going to be doing 5 a levels? or 4?

4: bio chem english maths but i willl be in further maths lessons self studying maths at the back of the class.

i might learn 5 tho (the above with some further maths) cus FM does look kind of interesting and incase i switch english to FM i want to have a foundation to go off of. i feel like doing 5 in the first term will be manageable and that will give me ample time to deciee whether to stop learning FM or drop english.

ive already learnt up to circles (chapter 6 out of 14 in AS pure year 1) with casual hours like and hoir or two a day in about 4 or 5 days so i feel like its going well so far. im just scared of year 2 content as i hear its very hard. stuff rn has bascially just been an extension of gcse which is still very fresh in my mind so is very easy
Original post by ismaelishere
4: bio chem english maths but i willl be in further maths lessons self studying maths at the back of the class.
i might learn 5 tho (the above with some further maths) cus FM does look kind of interesting and incase i switch english to FM i want to have a foundation to go off of. i feel like doing 5 in the first term will be manageable and that will give me ample time to deciee whether to stop learning FM or drop english.
ive already learnt up to circles (chapter 6 out of 14 in AS pure year 1) with casual hours like and hoir or two a day in about 4 or 5 days so i feel like its going well so far. im just scared of year 2 content as i hear its very hard. stuff rn has bascially just been an extension of gcse which is still very fresh in my mind so is very easy
i would recommend 4 only. but if you are going to do 5, id recommend youd sit the one you are going to drop as an AS so that it wouldnt be a year wasted for nothing. having 5 a levels is never worth it and youll find yourself at the same uni as someone who does 3/4 - or, instead you could do 4 and an EPQ, which is more common.

Im glad self-teaching maths is going well so far 🙂

Chapters 1-6 of AS are pretty much GCSE content, but the other chapters after are new stuff. Im sure youll do well in it, if youre understanding chapters 1-6 well!

Im in year 13, and my honest view on the year 2 content is that it is veryy doable, the only challenging chapters are Parametrics, Integration (Year 2) and Differentiation (Year 2), so if youre good at those, theres really nothing stopping you from claiming your A* at the end of the year !

Good luck, any other questions ask away !
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply