The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Conditional Offer Queen Mary University or Unconditional offer De Monfort

Please help me to choose: Condinional offer - International foundation course at Queen Mary (engineering) with conditions to get into the first year (Computer Science) with 65% and above in all subjects, or Unconditional offer to study at De Monfort University (Software Engineering) and get into the first year after foundation year. I am an international student living in England now. I don't know what to choose. What are my options if I can't get into my first year at Queen Mary? In my home country, I got B grades in almost all subjects at school, it means good, but not excellent. I want to be a software developer in future. Thank you for your advice!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Abiturient
Please help me to choose: Condinional offer - International foundation course at Queen Mary (engineering) with conditions to get into the first year (Computer Science) with 65% and above in all subjects, or Unconditional offer to study at De Monfort University (Software Engineering) and get into the first year after foundation year. I am an international student living in England now. I don't know what to choose. What are my options if I can't get into my first year at Queen Mary? In my home country, I got B grades in almost all subjects at school, it means good, but not excellent. I want to be a software developer in future. Thank you for your advice!

Foundation years are usually not accepted by other universities so if you fail the Queen Mary foundation year, you're out of options, unless you're allowed to resit the year. However, foundation years are meant to be... for the lack of a better word, easy, so I personally wouldn't be worried about the minimum grade at Queen Mary.

Have you looked at work experience opportunities in both of these universities? Work experience is super important in software development/computer science and so I'd honestly just pick the university that is more accommodating towards work experience. I know Queen Mary offers Computer Science with a year in industry. No clue about De Monfort though.

Hope this was useful :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Foundation years are usually not accepted by other universities so if you fail the Queen Mary foundation year, you're out of options, unless you're allowed to resit the year. However, foundation years are meant to be... for the lack of a better word, easy, so I personally wouldn't be worried about the minimum grade at Queen Mary.
Have you looked at work experience opportunities in both of these universities? Work experience is super important in software development/computer science and so I'd honestly just pick the university that is more accommodating towards work experience. I know Queen Mary offers Computer Science with a year in industry. No clue about De Monfort though.
Hope this was useful :smile:

Thank you! 🙏
Yes

Quick Reply