The Student Room Group

URGENT!! bristol vs birmingham

Hi. I know that it is ultimately my choice, but everyone around me is giving mixed opinions and i’m completely stuck. If anyone has any broad advice i would be grateful. I really like Bristol, but I keep hearing about it being expensive and spread out and the accommodation is a little disappointing.

I like Birmingham but the city itself has a reputation. However, it seems to be ‘up and coming’ so to speak.

Would anyone have any opinions on which is better, or if accommodation in bristol really matters, or if Birmingham’s reputation is better than bristol?? I just want to go to a uni that has good connections or can be a good foundation to go to a better post-degree uni for my further studies.

Thanks!! 😭
Degree subject?
Original post by McGinger
Degree subject?

english lit and classics
Original post by cutelittlecherub
Hi. I know that it is ultimately my choice, but everyone around me is giving mixed opinions and i’m completely stuck. If anyone has any broad advice i would be grateful. I really like Bristol, but I keep hearing about it being expensive and spread out and the accommodation is a little disappointing.
I like Birmingham but the city itself has a reputation. However, it seems to be ‘up and coming’ so to speak.
Would anyone have any opinions on which is better, or if accommodation in bristol really matters, or if Birmingham’s reputation is better than bristol?? I just want to go to a uni that has good connections or can be a good foundation to go to a better post-degree uni for my further studies.
Thanks!! 😭

Hi @cutelittlecherub,

I'm currently in my second year of uni in Birmingham and I absolutely love it here. You're completely right with the 'up and coming' idea as there have been tons of new things to do here lately, especially in the city. I especially like Birmingham because it isn't as costly as I thought it'd be, it's the city life minus the city costs. I've been to Bristol tons of times as I visit my friends there as well, but their 'city' is very much different to Birmingham and is definitely more spread out - I do notice that Bristol can get costly when it comes to eating out and recreational activities. Not very sure what the accommodation market is like in Bristol, but there are a plethora here in Birmingham.

Feel free to ask anymore questions!
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @cutelittlecherub,
I'm currently in my second year of uni in Birmingham and I absolutely love it here. You're completely right with the 'up and coming' idea as there have been tons of new things to do here lately, especially in the city. I especially like Birmingham because it isn't as costly as I thought it'd be, it's the city life minus the city costs. I've been to Bristol tons of times as I visit my friends there as well, but their 'city' is very much different to Birmingham and is definitely more spread out - I do notice that Bristol can get costly when it comes to eating out and recreational activities. Not very sure what the accommodation market is like in Bristol, but there are a plethora here in Birmingham.
Feel free to ask anymore questions!
Danish
BCU Student Rep

As someone who’s lived near birmingham my whole life, how do you like the city itself? I’m scared of staying in the west midlands for too long 😭 and not having career opportunities or going to a ‘prestigious’ uni
Original post by cutelittlecherub
As someone who’s lived near birmingham my whole life, how do you like the city itself? I’m scared of staying in the west midlands for too long 😭 and not having career opportunities or going to a ‘prestigious’ uni

Hi @cutelittlecherub

I've personally moved to Birmingham from a much quieter and smaller city, so living somewhere so different is what makes Birmingham so exciting. I really love the fast paced environment of the city and have found spots in the city centre that I like to go to with friends.

There's nothing wrong with staying closer to home, so long as that's what you want. I chose to move further away from home, as BCU offered the course I wanted and the city itself came second in my decision making process. But, there were still elements of Birmingham that made me want to move here - the livelier city lifestyle, more creative opportunities, etc.

I've never been to Bristol, so I couldn't really comment on it myself. And I understand your queries about going to a 'prestigious' university. Every uni has its awards and achievements, some more esteemed than others, but for me, my main focus was on the course itself and what I could learn and achieve from it, regardless of the unis ranking.

Maybe have a look at where past students have gone on to work or study for both unis to see if the career opportunities in both areas line up with where you'd like to see yourself at the end of your degree. There isn't really a wrong answer, but you want to make sure you're choosing the right uni and city for you, rather than what other people may think about the uni.

Hope you're making some progress with your decision! 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU

Quick Reply