The Student Room Group

Jobs?

Hi, I am trying to decide on what I want to be when I’m older so that I can know what to do for a-levels and then uni. I’m going to college in September, and I’m trying to think of jobs based on my interests. I am very interested in history and languages, especially French.

Anyone with any tips or ideas please let me know!!!
Original post by saraalegria
Hi, I am trying to decide on what I want to be when I’m older so that I can know what to do for a-levels and then uni. I’m going to college in September, and I’m trying to think of jobs based on my interests. I am very interested in history and languages, especially French.

unless you want to be a doctor and thus need to do medicine etc , I would just take the subjects you've enjoyed most so far, as you can go into nearly all careers with a variety of subjects
Original post by amberlily051
unless you want to be a doctor and thus need to do medicine etc , I would just take the subjects you've enjoyed most so far, as you can go into nearly all careers with a variety of subjects

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking, but I don’t want to get a degree just for the sake of it. I would like to know a job that involves my interests, and something I can work towards
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking, but I don’t want to get a degree just for the sake of it. I would like to know a job that involves my interests, and something I can work towards

you can just do a history and French degree then if thats what you enjoy, and then if you're thinking corporate careers this can lead to a career in law, consulting, trading, marketing, sales, or you could work at an international organisation etc.
Original post by amberlily051
you can just do a history and French degree then if thats what you enjoy, and then if you're thinking corporate careers this can lead to a career in law, consulting, trading, marketing, sales, or you could work at an international organisation etc.

I’m not really that interested in law, and I have tried to be interested in politics but it’s really not doing it for me. I feel like there’s some rly obvious job that I’m missing 😂 I’m not good at science or maths, but I do enjoy pretty much all the others
Thanks for all your advice tho!!!

Translation jobs don't require qualifications, but having A Levels in languages would help affirm your fluency in the subject. Also, degrees involving modern European languages would require A Levels in the relevant languages.

Similarly, jobs involving museum curation and archaeology don't require specific A Levels. For curation, you don't even need specific qualifications. However, some history degrees would require History A Level.

History and modern European languages are required subjects for their respective degrees, so you should be more than OK if you decide to do joint history degrees with languages. I am not entirely sure what you would want to do with such a degree though, unless you want to go into teaching.

Otherwise, you would be looking for jobs that don't require specific qualifications e.g. business, civil service, some tech roles.

The roles that specifically require the equivalent of degrees (either academically or through degree apprenticeships) usually are in architecture, engineering, economics, healthcare, research, teaching, and law.

There are also professional qualifications in accounting, finance, and actuary (ideally with a maths background) that you could apply for.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by MindMax2000
Translation jobs don't require qualifications, but having A Levels in languages would help affirm your fluency in the subject. Also, degrees involving modern European languages would require A Levels in the relevant languages.
Similarly, jobs involving museum curation and archaeology don't require specific A Levels. For curation, you don't even need specific qualifications. However, some history degrees would require History A Level.
History and modern European languages are required subjects for their respective degrees, so you should be more than OK if you decide to do joint history degrees with languages. I am not entirely sure what you would want to do with such a degree though, unless you want to go into teaching.
Otherwise, you would be looking for jobs that don't require specific qualifications e.g. business, civil service, some tech roles.
The roles that specifically require the equivalent of degrees (either academically or through degree apprenticeships) usually are in architecture, engineering, economics, healthcare, research, teaching, and law.
There are also professional qualifications in accounting, finance, and actuary (ideally with a maths background) that you could apply for.

Thank you so much!!! You’ve given me a lot to think about
Good careers website with hundreds of job / career profiles - Job profiles | Prospects.ac.uk

Be aware that many degree subjects do not have any vocational angle - ie. they are not training for a specific job - but employers will value the overall 'higher thinking' skills you have. This is why you see jobs advertised as 'graduate, any discipline'. Therefore, don't stress too much about 'which job' at this stage - that realisation may only fall into place during your degree or once your graduate. Instead, just focus on 'what degree subject would interest me enough for 3 or 4 years of study'. And - you don't have to go to Uni straight from school. For many people, taking a gap year to get a job/travel etc and do some thinking helps to clarify a way forward.

im currently y13 finishing a-levels in history, politics and French, they go very nicely together and ive really enjoyed them! in the long run im hoping to go into diplomacy/foreign office, something like that could defo work with a history+languages degree if you like that kind of thing? alternatively you could look into something closer to interpreting or translation etc?
Who knows, the job you might end up doing might not even exist yet !
Id say absolutely go for it with history + languages if that's what youre passionate about, things will fall into place :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by erin11
im currently y13 finishing a-levels in history, politics and French, they go very nicely together and ive really enjoyed them! in the long run im hoping to go into diplomacy/foreign office, something like that could defo work with a history+languages degree if you like that kind of thing? alternatively you could look into something closer to interpreting or translation etc?
Who knows, the job you might end up doing might not even exist yet !
Id say absolutely go for it with history + languages if that's what youre passionate about, things will fall into place :smile:

Thank you so much!!!

Quick Reply