The Student Room Group

feeling hopeless

i finish my alevels on thursday, and i have been constantly applying to jobs online, calling places, and going in to ask for vacancies + i've had nothing!

i have no money for uni... so if i don't get a job during the summer i quite literally won't be able to go to university. i wasn't able to get a part time job during sixth form because i commute to school + had other responsibilities.

i feel hopeless because firstly i will feel like i lack worth during the summer, i mean im going on holiday + volunteering, and i have stuff i want to pursue, but without some kind of regular routine i will feel useless. and also i plan on getting a part time job or two during university but ive never had a job before and i'm really getting quite fed up.

so yeah, i feel hopeless with no prospects for the summer, not even sure if i can afford university (my maintenance loan doesnt even cover my weekly accommodation! and my parents wouldnt contribute), not even sure how my exams have gone so i dont know if im going to get the grades even for my insurance, and utterly burnout from this exam period.

tbh my mental health has and is still been at an all time low - whenever i get a spare chance i just break down and burst into tears. my exams havent gone the best, ive had awful panic attacks + daily nightmares, and i dont really recognise myself anymore.
Reply 1
everything is awful atm, and i dont wanna carry on.
Original post by Anonymous
i finish my alevels on thursday, and i have been constantly applying to jobs online, calling places, and going in to ask for vacancies + i've had nothing!
i have no money for uni... so if i don't get a job during the summer i quite literally won't be able to go to university. i wasn't able to get a part time job during sixth form because i commute to school + had other responsibilities.
i feel hopeless because firstly i will feel like i lack worth during the summer, i mean im going on holiday + volunteering, and i have stuff i want to pursue, but without some kind of regular routine i will feel useless. and also i plan on getting a part time job or two during university but ive never had a job before and i'm really getting quite fed up.
so yeah, i feel hopeless with no prospects for the summer, not even sure if i can afford university (my maintenance loan doesnt even cover my weekly accommodation! and my parents wouldnt contribute), not even sure how my exams have gone so i dont know if im going to get the grades even for my insurance, and utterly burnout from this exam period.
tbh my mental health has and is still been at an all time low - whenever i get a spare chance i just break down and burst into tears. my exams havent gone the best, ive had awful panic attacks + daily nightmares, and i dont really recognise myself anymore.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you've been feeling low recently.

Firstly, a massive well done for finishing you exams. Even though you're waiting for your results, getting through the exams themselves is tough and tiring - so give yourself some praise for that.

I can definitely relate to the job search stress. My best advice is to keep applying as much as you can. I know it can feel exhausting going around in circles to keep applying for jobs, but I found I got the best results when I had the most applications out there. Now is a good time to keep a look out as students will be heading home for the summer and more roles may come available. Have you tried Indeed Flex? It's a sub platform of Indeed, where employers advertise temporary work, so you can pick up shifts at different companies for short periods of time when they need more staff - maybe something to try.

If you can, I would also suggest getting a few plans and goals together. Picture you've got your results and you're going to your first choice uni. Try and have a look at some Freshers' events your uni is putting on. Maybe plan to meet up with friends before you head off to uni. Maybe get a uni checklist ready. Even though it can feel out of reach at the moment, I found distracting myself from my results and other life worries by looking to the future helped lift my mood.

If you can, try to apply to jobs where you can either transfer to a workplace closer to your uni. I do this so I work between my home store and uni store, and it saves me having to keep looking for work each time I come home.

I can also appreciate your money worries with uni. Have you looked to see if your future uni offers any bursaries or scholarships? I know they can sometimes seem out of reach, but there are usually more money schemes available than we think, so maybe something else worth researching into if you can.

I hope things start picking up for you. And best of luck with the job search and your results.

Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Hi there 👋

I'm really sorry to hear that you are feeling this way.

Have you reached out to the university that you have applied for and questioned whether they offer bursary schemes/financial support? If not, I would recommend doing this! I am sure that they will be able to support you in one way or another, so don't be so hard on yourself and think that you won't be able to go to university as I am sure there will be a support network that you can make use of.

In terms of searching for jobs, maybe try reviewing your CV and ensuring that it's up-to-date and gives recruiters a true picture of who you are. You mentioned volunteering which is great, make sure that this is on your CV as it will allow you to showcase a wide range of skills! I would recommend using platforms such as Indeed, emailing local recruiters, and also joining local Facebook pages/groups. For example at Wrexham, there is a Facebook page named 'Jobs in Wrexham, Chester, and surrounding areas' which I am a part of. Within this group, vacancies are regularly advertised, and sometimes getting a job is as easy as private messaging the recruiter and going in for a chat - I had a couple of interviews this way when I was 16.

Additionally, when you join university, they are likely to have a careers and employability team that will help you to further develop your CV and will help you to find part-time work and/or placements and internships that are linked to your area of study, so don't worry too much about not finding a job whilst at university.

Above all, please take care of your mental health. With your exams ending on Thursday, make sure that you do something that you enjoy on the weekend, and then start looking at vacancies when you feel a bit more refreshed. Consider speaking with friends and family about how you are feeling, as they will be able to provide you with more help and support. Remember that you are not alone! There are lots of others that will be feeling the way that you are right now, but it's important to make sure that those around you know what you are going through so that you can receive the support that you need.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your exams and job search. Let me know if I can provide you with any more advice.

Lauren
WrexhamUniReps

Hi there!

Sorry you are going through a really stressful time, I can imagine it is really difficult. It sounds like right now you are really overwhelmed and things are getting on top of you at the moment. I will try and give the best advice I can.

Firstly, well done on completing your exams that is amazing, you should be really proud of yourself. In terms of you feeling stressed about your results, that is completely normal. I remember when I did my A-Levels and it was all I thought about all summer so I can definitely relate to that. I learnt from that experience that it is over now, and there is nothing you can change which will determine what will happen. I take from this that all this stress is being wasted over something I can't change, so in the long run this stress is only causing you more upset. However on the other hand I can relate to the anxiety and panic attacks, I have been there as well. Have you got a good support system around you that you can talk about your worries with?

In terms of finding a job I think the best thing you can do is keep trying. All these jobs you are not hearing back from or there are no vacancies are obviously not meant for you, if it was meant for you it won't pass you by. Maybe try and pop your CV into places as well, a little cafe or pub job can be really flexible when thinking of going to university.

As well as this, try contacting for bursaries to universities you are interested in. I know money can be a huge worry and universities do the best they can to try and support those who need it. As well as this there will be chances to get job in a uni town as they are constantly hiring university students. Also are there any universities you could travel to from home at all, I completely understand if this is not of your interest but always something to consider when thinking about money.

And lastly in terms of you feeling hopeless, you have so much going on and so much stress so please try and take it easy on yourself. Once you finish school the world always seems a bit scary and sometimes you just feel a bit lost in what to do. So please be kind to yourself, and I am sending my best wishes to you. I really hope everything gets sorted for you soon!

Thank you and if there is anything I can help with please let me know,

Lily
ARU Digital Ambassador

Hey,

First off - I'm really sorry to hear about your difficulty finding a job. As you've pointed out, maintenance loans rarely cover the costs of attending university these days and most have to find some additional source of income to get by - which puts a lot of pressure on upcoming students to find work during the holidays. I also understand that not having a regular routine can be disorientating, and can increase any anxiety or mental health struggles you're already facing.

It might be worthwhile to have a thorough look at how your finances and see how university could work. Your maintenance loan and rent (for student halls of residence) is usually paid in termly installments - create a list of payment deadlines and start drawing up a budget for expected weekly expenses (food, transport, etc). This'll give you an idea of how much money you need to maintain a good standard of living during term-time. Also check out your firm/insurance university's finance pages; most universities have support funds available for students facing financial hardship.

You don't necessarily need a job to set up a routine, so consider trying to create a routine around your job search. By waking up at a similar time and applying to a certain number of jobs/writing a set number of cover letters each day, you should hopefully be able to fall back into some sense of regularity and gradually see an improvement in your mental health.

Good luck, and wishing you all the best,
Eve (Kingston Rep).
hey I’ve felt the exact same way since my last a level and I’m in shock that I’ve found someone going through the same thing. Please take it easy, I spent days crying becuase I hated not having a routine and I missed sixth form so much. Like you, I’ve tried applying to jobs and haven’t heard back from many. Remember, we have a long summer ahead of us which gives you plenty of time to find a job!! You will be okay, we will get through this xx
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi there,
Sorry to hear you've been feeling low recently.
Firstly, a massive well done for finishing you exams. Even though you're waiting for your results, getting through the exams themselves is tough and tiring - so give yourself some praise for that.
I can definitely relate to the job search stress. My best advice is to keep applying as much as you can. I know it can feel exhausting going around in circles to keep applying for jobs, but I found I got the best results when I had the most applications out there. Now is a good time to keep a look out as students will be heading home for the summer and more roles may come available. Have you tried Indeed Flex? It's a sub platform of Indeed, where employers advertise temporary work, so you can pick up shifts at different companies for short periods of time when they need more staff - maybe something to try.
If you can, I would also suggest getting a few plans and goals together. Picture you've got your results and you're going to your first choice uni. Try and have a look at some Freshers' events your uni is putting on. Maybe plan to meet up with friends before you head off to uni. Maybe get a uni checklist ready. Even though it can feel out of reach at the moment, I found distracting myself from my results and other life worries by looking to the future helped lift my mood.
If you can, try to apply to jobs where you can either transfer to a workplace closer to your uni. I do this so I work between my home store and uni store, and it saves me having to keep looking for work each time I come home.
I can also appreciate your money worries with uni. Have you looked to see if your future uni offers any bursaries or scholarships? I know they can sometimes seem out of reach, but there are usually more money schemes available than we think, so maybe something else worth researching into if you can.
I hope things start picking up for you. And best of luck with the job search and your results.
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
How do you find jobs that allow you to transfer and how do you ask about this??
How do you find jobs that allow you to transfer and how do you ask about this??

Hi!

I'd look for jobs with companies that are pretty much everywhere - typically supermarkets, high street retailers, chain restaurants, etc. As they have so many locations, it increases your chances of being transferred to other stores/locations. These bigger chain companies are also used to students coming and going and will usually have a transfer system in place already.

I loved working at an independent business while studying my A Levels as it was such a welcoming community. But I had to leave to come to uni as there is only one shop in my home town. So, chain businesses are usually better for transfers.

If you're looking to find out if a company offers transfers, you could try contacting them via email or online. Or, I found out about my current employer offering transfers by asking in store - so maybe this is something you could try.

Hope the search is improving. 🙂
Emily
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi!
I'd look for jobs with companies that are pretty much everywhere - typically supermarkets, high street retailers, chain restaurants, etc. As they have so many locations, it increases your chances of being transferred to other stores/locations. These bigger chain companies are also used to students coming and going and will usually have a transfer system in place already.
I loved working at an independent business while studying my A Levels as it was such a welcoming community. But I had to leave to come to uni as there is only one shop in my home town. So, chain businesses are usually better for transfers.
If you're looking to find out if a company offers transfers, you could try contacting them via email or online. Or, I found out about my current employer offering transfers by asking in store - so maybe this is something you could try.
Hope the search is improving. 🙂
Emily

Close to giving up tbh. There’s no part time vacancies let alone summer jobs available. I feel bad applying to part time just to be rejected cuz I can only work two months you know. Very little time till September

Might just have to stick to volunteering.

Firstly well done on getting though your exams! You should give yourself a MASSIVE pat on the back because you deserve it.

Finding a job is tough, especially around this time where more are looking. It took me months of applying, rejection and waiting for anywhere to get back to me but eventually somewhere did. Somewhere will get back to you I promise you!

Now you've finished your exams, focus on yourself more. That could be though meditation or even walks by yourself. Like you said you're feeling burnout, time to get that spark back.

If you need to talk to anyone i'm always happy to listen 🥰

Hi there,

This sounds like a tricky situation and I hope things start to look up for you soon.

Firstly, if you are still struggling finding a job, I would encourage you to keep trying and not give up! Sometimes it can take a while to find a job but it will be worth it if you end up finding one. You still have time to save money for you and you could always just walk around your town and hand your cv into anywhere that may be hiring just to get your name out there and you never know they might know someone else that is hiring.

I think you will have finished your A Levels now so i hope they all went well and remember that you can’t change the outcome now so try not to worry about it too much over the summer.

I would also encourage you to talk to someone about how you are feeling with your mental health. If you don’t want to talk to friends or family, it might help seeing a GP as you may find it trickier starting uni If you are feeling this way. Make sure you get in contact with your university well-being team when you start too so that they can be there for you throughout your time at uni.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Close to giving up tbh. There’s no part time vacancies let alone summer jobs available. I feel bad applying to part time just to be rejected cuz I can only work two months you know. Very little time till September
Might just have to stick to volunteering.

im in the same situation as you. The one real chance I had at being hired, the manager said no to me once she found out I was starting university in September, She basically said it isn't worth hiring you only for 2 months.
everything is awful atm, and i dont wanna carry on.

I am in the same boat

Hi there,

It can be really hard to find jobs at the moment, I am so sorry to hear you are also finding this difficulty. I think alot of people find that they feel abit lost after A levels, that is perfectly normal. I would say, keep applying as much as you can, try supermarkets, pubs, shops etc and just send your CV to as many people as you can.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
University of Sunderland Y4 Medical Student

Quick Reply