The Student Room Group

Insufficient gcse grades for Cambridge medical

Hi,
I’m actually not to sure wether I want to do medical or dentistry but I do know that if I decide to do medicine I would like to do it in Cambridge because it is close to where I live and very convenient for me.
I’m currently in year 11 and have almost finished my gcse exams, however I don’t think they have gone the best they could have. I’m roughly predicting 99999888887, (9s in bio, chem, phys, fm, eng lang)
I am thinking of retaking 3 to get 99999999887.
Does Cambridge medicine accept gcse resits?
Do I have a good shot or should I lower my target?
Please be as harsh as possible.
(Ps I know Cambridge say they don’t differentiate between 8s an 9s but be fr of course they do )
Almost all Universities accept resit results, however the exam date will make the fact it was resat obvious and this will be taken into consideration. Given this I would question the point of resitting, particularly as you will be busy in year 12 with A-Levels and (if your prediction is correct) it's not as if an 8 is necessarily much worse than a resit 9. This is even assuming that a resit would be a 9 when it would involve relearning the content over a year after you've had any contact time in the subject.

Given the increased level of competition across all medical schools (in comparison to other subjects), if I was you I would just singularly focus on getting in for Medicine anywhere. This would be a higher priority than any one medical school. Even if you get straight 9s or majority 9s, this would be my focus. I know a lot of applicants for medicine who seemingly had very strong applications but failed to get offers for whatever reason.

It may be true that your chances at Cambridge are actually better at other Medical schools which may care more about exact GCSE grades. It may also be true that with below-average GCSE grades that there are 4 other Medical schools you'd be better off applying to. Again i defer to someone more in the know on medicine specifically.
What I can tell you is that Cambridge will be a lot more focused on academic stem performance than other schools - meaning if you do science A-Levels and they go really well and you also are competitive or perform well in Olympiads/ Essay Competitions/ other super circulars/ etc - then you will become a strong Cambridge applicant even if you got an 8 at History GCSE or whatever. If your aim is specifically Cambridge Medicine then your time would be better spent on things which aren't GCSE resits imo.
Original post by A Light Lilt
Almost all Universities accept resit results, however the exam date will make the fact it was resat obvious and this will be taken into consideration. Given this I would question the point of resitting, particularly as you will be busy in year 12 with A-Levels and (if your prediction is correct) it's not as if an 8 is necessarily much worse than a resit 9. This is even assuming that a resit would be a 9 when it would involve relearning the content over a year after you've had any contact time in the subject.
Given the increased level of competition across all medical schools (in comparison to other subjects), if I was you I would just singularly focus on getting in for Medicine anywhere. This would be a higher priority than any one medical school. Even if you get straight 9s or majority 9s, this would be my focus. I know a lot of applicants for medicine who seemingly had very strong applications but failed to get offers for whatever reason.
It may be true that your chances at Cambridge are actually better at other Medical schools which may care more about exact GCSE grades. It may also be true that with below-average GCSE grades that there are 4 other Medical schools you'd be better off applying to. Again i defer to someone more in the know on medicine specifically.
What I can tell you is that Cambridge will be a lot more focused on academic stem performance than other schools - meaning if you do science A-Levels and they go really well and you also are competitive or perform well in Olympiads/ Essay Competitions/ other super circulars/ etc - then you will become a strong Cambridge applicant even if you got an 8 at History GCSE or whatever. If your aim is specifically Cambridge Medicine then your time would be better spent on things which aren't GCSE resits imo.

Hiya, thank you for your response, I mentioned Cambridge specifically as a high end example but your right I think main objective is to get into any medical/dental school. Personally for me I didn’t revise at all/(or very minimal revision) to get the 8s (predicted), the subjects are maths, English lit, computing. Disregarding Oxbridge, if I resit these 3 subjects and do manage to achieve a 9 in all 3, will it put me more at a disadvantage or advantage when applying to any medical/dental uni?
Original post by Jasmine6789
Hiya, thank you for your response, I mentioned Cambridge specifically as a high end example but your right I think main objective is to get into any medical/dental school. Personally for me I didn’t revise at all/(or very minimal revision) to get the 8s (predicted), the subjects are maths, English lit, computing. Disregarding Oxbridge, if I resit these 3 subjects and do manage to achieve a 9 in all 3, will it put me more at a disadvantage or advantage when applying to any medical/dental uni?
I'm not Medical admissions staff so i dont know. My guess would be that its somewhat neutral/ meaningless to resit them in comparison to moving forward though. For example getting a gold at the Senior Maths Challenge would do a lot more good to prove that the 8 in Maths was just a bad day/ accident.

The question about specifically how resits are treated for any Medical schools where the school requests e.g. "7 9s at GCSE" (or something) belongs in the medical forums or threads.
Reply 4
It states on the Cambridge website and it's well known on here that GCSE results are one of the least important things to Cambridge. Maybe if they had 2 candidates with exactly similar predicted A Level grades and who'd performed equally strongly at interview, it could be a deciding factor but otherwise it'd make you stand out more to them if you are predicted all A star in 4 A Levels and if you perform well in an interview. They say they only require 3 A Levels but, in practice, it could differentiate between candidates for such popular courses.

GCSE results would be more important towards the application if you were thinking of most other high ranking universities, including Oxford (Oxford tend to require slightly lower A Level results than Cambridge but Oxford make up for this by putting more emphasis on GCSE results than Cambridge do).
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Jasmine6789
Hi,
I’m actually not to sure wether I want to do medical or dentistry but I do know that if I decide to do medicine I would like to do it in Cambridge because it is close to where I live and very convenient for me.
I’m currently in year 11 and have almost finished my gcse exams, however I don’t think they have gone the best they could have. I’m roughly predicting 99999888887, (9s in bio, chem, phys, fm, eng lang)
I am thinking of retaking 3 to get 99999999887.
Does Cambridge medicine accept gcse resits?
Do I have a good shot or should I lower my target?
Please be as harsh as possible.
(Ps I know Cambridge say they don’t differentiate between 8s an 9s but be fr of course they do )

Are you taking 3 sciences at A-level?
Original post by ageshallnot
Are you taking 3 sciences at A-level?
Yes bio, chem, phys + maths
Original post by Picnicl
It states on the Cambridge website and it's well known on here that GCSE results are one of the least important things to Cambridge. Maybe if they had 2 candidates with exactly similar predicted A Level grades and who'd performed equally strongly at interview, it could be a deciding factor but otherwise it'd make you stand out more to them if you are predicted all A star in 4 A Levels and if you perform well in an interview. They say they only require 3 A Levels but, in practice, it could differentiate between candidates for such popular courses.
GCSE results would be more important towards the application if you were thinking of most other high ranking universities, including Oxford (Oxford tend to require slightly lower A Level results than Cambridge but Oxford make up for this by putting more emphasis on GCSE results than Cambridge do).

Do oxbridge look at the number of a-levels that you do? I've heard that they only look at 3 a-levels, and doing 4 has no real benefit.
Original post by seagull11
Do oxbridge look at the number of a-levels that you do? I've heard that they only look at 3 a-levels, and doing 4 has no real benefit.

As far as i know - yes, they only look at 3 a levels. Doing 4 a levels really has no advantage except if you want to keep your options open if you dont know what exact course you want to apply to.

Quick Reply