The Student Room Group

not turn up to an exam

basically I accidentally signed myself up to an exam on Tuesday- additional mathematics which is an extra qualification which gives you UCAS points. I don't really know any of the content so I'm going to fail anyways because I have no time to revise for it. The pass rate is apparently quite high so there's no point only revising a bit in the limited time I have and the exams 2 hours long and will take away time I could be revising food the next day (which I really want a 9 in). I basically need to only revise additional maths the next few days or revise nothing at all. If I revise nothing at all what's the point in sitting the exam? Can I just miss the exam? Do you have to pay a fine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you can withdraw. Just ask your exams officer or whoever is entering you for the exams and you can withdraw. You won't be able to get the money that you had to pay to enter for the exam back though. If you don't rock up to the exam you get a 0 on the paper and a U for a grade and that goes to university applications.
Reply 2
Original post by AL0703
you can withdraw. Just ask your exams officer or whoever is entering you for the exams and you can withdraw. You won't be able to get the money that you had to pay to enter for the exam back though. If you don't rock up to the exam you get a 0 on the paper and a U for a grade and that goes to university applications.

i agree with u
and if u werent gojng to revise for it then y did u sign up
this is a serious question, btw
Reply 3
Original post by Sillystrawberry7
basically I accidentally signed myself up to an exam on Tuesday- additional mathematics which is an extra qualification which gives you UCAS points. I don't really know any of the content so I'm going to fail anyways because I have no time to revise for it. The pass rate is apparently quite high so there's no point only revising a bit in the limited time I have and the exams 2 hours long and will take away time I could be revising food the next day (which I really want a 9 in). I basically need to only revise additional maths the next few days or revise nothing at all. If I revise nothing at all what's the point in sitting the exam? Can I just miss the exam? Do you have to pay a fine?

Any? FSMQ has quite a lot of content, so if you can withdraw then do so. But if you are set to get a U if you withdraw, just revise as hard as you can. Some of the topics aren't too much of a stretch from GCSE maths, like polynomials, algebraic manipulation, differentiation, recurrence relations, inequalities, bits of kinematics, but I wouldn't bother with learning integration, numerical methods linear programming, binomial distribution with the time you have got. Anyway, try and withdraw, but if you can't, just give it your best shot. The E boundary is set around 40% usual which could be achievable
Original post by JF ZAK
i agree with u
and if u werent gojng to revise for it then y did u sign up
this is a serious question, btw

I had about 2 minutes to decide whether to enter and I didn't take all the factors into consideration
Original post by AL0703

I didn't pay anything to enter it my school did do you think they'd want me to pay money to them
Original post by AL0703

yeah I don't mind getting a U because its unlikely I'll go to uni anyway I might idk yet it seems a waste of money
Any? FSMQ has quite a lot of content, so if you can withdraw then do so. But if you are set to get a U if you withdraw, just revise as hard as you can. Some of the topics aren't too much of a stretch from GCSE maths, like polynomials, algebraic manipulation, differentiation, recurrence relations, inequalities, bits of kinematics, but I wouldn't bother with learning integration, numerical methods linear programming, binomial distribution with the time you have got. Anyway, try and withdraw, but if you can't, just give it your best shot. The E boundary is set around 40% usual which could be achievable

ok I might just try my best and revise food thoroughly tonight and tommorow and start add maths monday
Reply 8
I think they may want you to pay the cost of entering. But it’s usually not much - about £50 to £100. You can google it just google your exam board followed by fees and scrolls down on to the document that has the subject. This will give you a little idea if you did need to.

I mean speak to the exams officer or a head of year or someone - there is no harm in asking.

They may also charge you an admin fee.

There is a small chance they don’t charge you anything, but I am not too sure as they won’t be able to get a refund as there is a certain date for the refund, and because they’ve ‘wasted’ money they may.

I don’t know your financial circumstance, but if you are sure you will get a U, you may not want that on your record.

Have you done any past papers - this may help you in deciding whether you want to withdraw.

Hope this helps, and don’t stress!
I think they may want you to pay the cost of entering. But it’s usually not much - about £50 to £100. You can google it just google your exam board followed by fees and scrolls down on to the document that has the subject. This will give you a little idea if you did need to.
I mean speak to the exams officer or a head of year or someone - there is no harm in asking.
They may also charge you an admin fee.
There is a small chance they don’t charge you anything, but I am not too sure as they won’t be able to get a refund as there is a certain date for the refund, and because they’ve ‘wasted’ money they may.
I don’t know your financial circumstance, but if you are sure you will get a U, you may not want that on your record.
Have you done any past papers - this may help you in deciding whether you want to withdraw.
Hope this helps, and don’t stress!

I don't think it's too bad having a U on my record as its an extra thing and the pass rates high so many people fail a year and unis know this. That's what I've been told anyhow correct me if I'm wrong. So I might just give it a go but I'll still look for the fee thanks for the information though!!
Reply 10
I don't think it's too bad having a U on my record as its an extra thing and the pass rates high so many people fail a year and unis know this. That's what I've been told anyhow correct me if I'm wrong. So I might just give it a go but I'll still look for the fee thanks for the information though!!

It's not great as future employers see that.
Reply 11
It's not great as future employers see that.
I mean yes your right, I also thought that hence why I mentioned it.

BUT it really depends on what you decide to do. Because some employer really don’t care what you get as long as you have the qualifications

Having said that there is always still a risk/ chance that an employer may have a look - especially with jobs which have a ton of candidates

Also @Sillystrawberry7 you said you want a 9 - so are you doing GCSEs?
if you are please do not stress, whether you decide to withdraw or decide to do it and not get the grade you want because I’ll be honest unis really don’t care about your GCSEs (apart from oxbridge, or maybe medicine), but they may just see disregard it as if your actuall maths is fine this is irrelevant

A sixth form will also not care as there entry requirements are usually based on maths and English and then they may look at extra criteria’s, e.g if you want to do a science a level they may require a grade something in science

Also I never knew GCSEs were worth ucas points

I suggest you take all of this info(not just mine), speak to a parent and a teacher and take their advice and then make your decision, but do not be so quick and make a decision you will regret later. Having said that don’t spend ages thinking about this - you should focus on getting the grades you are capable of, and more importantly ensure your mental wellbeing (as this really isn’t so major)

Sorry for all the waffle and poor spag, hope it is of somewhat useful to you
I mean yes your right, I also thought that hence why I mentioned it.
BUT it really depends on what you decide to do. Because some employer really don’t care what you get as long as you have the qualifications
Having said that there is always still a risk/ chance that an employer may have a look - especially with jobs which have a ton of candidates
Also @Sillystrawberry7 you said you want a 9 - so are you doing GCSEs?
if you are please do not stress, whether you decide to withdraw or decide to do it and not get the grade you want because I’ll be honest unis really don’t care about your GCSEs (apart from oxbridge, or maybe medicine), but they may just see disregard it as if your actuall maths is fine this is irrelevant
A sixth form will also not care as there entry requirements are usually based on maths and English and then they may look at extra criteria’s, e.g if you want to do a science a level they may require a grade something in science
Also I never knew GCSEs were worth ucas points
I suggest you take all of this info(not just mine), speak to a parent and a teacher and take their advice and then make your decision, but do not be so quick and make a decision you will regret later. Having said that don’t spend ages thinking about this - you should focus on getting the grades you are capable of, and more importantly ensure your mental wellbeing (as this really isn’t so major)
Sorry for all the waffle and poor spag, hope it is of somewhat useful to you

Yes, it's very useful. Thank you very much. Yes I'm doing GCSEs. This isn't a GCSE it's additional maths which is slightly above I think it's int he middle of a levels and gcses and it's worth 20 ucas points if you get A* and I think about 8 if you pass not sure exactly. I agree with you from what I've been told no future employer looks or even cares about gcses they barely even look at a levels I've been told unless they're really stuck between 2 candidates and it literally comes to that
Reply 13
Yes, it's very useful. Thank you very much. Yes I'm doing GCSEs. This isn't a GCSE it's additional maths which is slightly above I think it's int he middle of a levels and gcses and it's worth 20 ucas points if you get A* and I think about 8 if you pass not sure exactly. I agree with you from what I've been told no future employer looks or even cares about gcses they barely even look at a levels I've been told unless they're really stuck between 2 candidates and it literally comes to that

Oh that makes sense.

You could just withdraw if you aren’t so confident and then resit it next year giving you more time to practice (but you may change your mind, which is normal as a levels can be quite content heavy) 3 a levels is usually enough to get into any course - some people at my sixth form did epq (basically a project you do in the first year) that may give you some ucas points.

If you don’t feel ready don’t stress yourself
Reply 14

FSMQ additional maths is only between A-E and I think it’s worth 10 UCAS points. It’s a Level 3 qualification worth about 1/6 of A-Level Mathematics
Reply 15
I had about 2 minutes to decide whether to enter and I didn't take all the factors into consideration

oh makes sense
so have u decided yet
Reply 16
Original post by JF ZAK
oh makes sense
so have u decided yet

Probably too late
Reply 17
Probably too late

no harm made when u ask
Reply 18
Original post by JF ZAK
no harm made when u ask

Being realistic, to learn all of the FSMQ content in a couple of days is just too much, even if you're really good at maths. Best to withdraw but I suspect it won't be possible/
Reply 19
Being realistic, to learn all of the FSMQ content in a couple of days is just too much, even if you're really good at maths. Best to withdraw but I suspect it won't be possible/

i knw i was wondering if she was able to withdraw in time
but ur argument makes sense

Quick Reply