The Student Room Group

Sixth form

Starting sixth form after the summer, does anyone have any advice?
Subjects I’m doing: chem, bio + psych
Original post by waj01

enjoy it
after that its uni, which comes with more responsibilities
so enjoy it
Original post by waj01

I’d say from the very beginning start working hard. Make flash cards (or however you like to revise) after each lesson/unit so you have less to do when mocks come around. And make sure you have a good revision and homework plan each week as it is easy to get overwhelmed.
(For reference Im in year 12 doing chemistry, Spanish and biology).
If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Reply 3
Original post by handsome-gypsy
enjoy it
after that its uni, which comes with more responsibilities
so enjoy it

Of course,
Reply 4
Original post by LittleFire10
I’d say from the very beginning start working hard. Make flash cards (or however you like to revise) after each lesson/unit so you have less to do when mocks come around. And make sure you have a good revision and homework plan each week as it is easy to get overwhelmed.
(For reference Im in year 12 doing chemistry, Spanish and biology).
If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thank you!
Hi,
I'm a uni student and I did bio, chem and english lit a levels. First I'd say relax over the summer because it will get harder when you start a levels. You've earned it. General revision advice for a levels, make sure you know how you revise best e.g. flashcards, blurting ect. because it'll make life a lot easier for you when revising and if you make any notes so you don't have to waste revision time re-writing your notes.

For biology and chemistry, I'd say to look over the spec just so you have some idea of what you're going to be doing over the next 2 years. You'll recognise some topics from GCSE's and if you want to you can revise those topics a bit over the summer just so you don't completely forget what you already know because for the most part you'll be learning new things about those topics so don't forget the basics from GCSE's.

If you want to be extra prepared and/or if you just want to learn a bit, these are some things you can look at over the summer:

basic naming of compounds

look at a table of compounds that are used often in a-level chemistry and see if they're acidic or basic

revise bonding

look at what properties each group on the periodic table have
For biology, I don't think there's a lot you can do apart from looking over the specification.

Just remember, most people aren't going to be looking at anything over the summer, and you don't have to either, this is just a bit extra if you feel like it. You normally get at least the first 2 weeks to ease you into sixth form so just make sure you have a good revision timetable made for when you do start. Overall, I think your main goal this summer should be to relax and you'll be great when you start next year.
Reply 6
Original post by loki_blck widow
Hi,
I'm a uni student and I did bio, chem and english lit a levels. First I'd say relax over the summer because it will get harder when you start a levels. You've earned it. General revision advice for a levels, make sure you know how you revise best e.g. flashcards, blurting ect. because it'll make life a lot easier for you when revising and if you make any notes so you don't have to waste revision time re-writing your notes.
For biology and chemistry, I'd say to look over the spec just so you have some idea of what you're going to be doing over the next 2 years. You'll recognise some topics from GCSE's and if you want to you can revise those topics a bit over the summer just so you don't completely forget what you already know because for the most part you'll be learning new things about those topics so don't forget the basics from GCSE's.
If you want to be extra prepared and/or if you just want to learn a bit, these are some things you can look at over the summer:

basic naming of compounds

look at a table of compounds that are used often in a-level chemistry and see if they're acidic or basic

revise bonding

look at what properties each group on the periodic table have
For biology, I don't think there's a lot you can do apart from looking over the specification.

Just remember, most people aren't going to be looking at anything over the summer, and you don't have to either, this is just a bit extra if you feel like it. You normally get at least the first 2 weeks to ease you into sixth form so just make sure you have a good revision timetable made for when you do start. Overall, I think your main goal this summer should be to relax and you'll be great when you start next year.

Yes I’m so drained at the moment
Original post by waj01

Hey if you look up “starting sixthform” on here I did a post with some sixthform advice (from my opinion). It’s more just general advice rather than subject specific but may be helpful

Quick Reply