The Student Room Group

Does anyone know any fee status appeal solicitors?

Hi everyone,
I am in a difficult and slightly mind-boggling situation where I have been admitted a place on a course, but as an overseas student.

While I did grow up in the USA, I was born in the UK/am a citizen and have lived here for 5+ years now (4 continuous - went back temporarily). I have plenty of documents to back all of this up (employment/taxes/bank info/NHS info) and the university are still refusing to change the decision. I have spoken to UKCISA multiple times and they are equally perplexed by the deicision but are unfortunately unable to get involved.

So at this point, sadly, it looks like I will have to get a solicitor involved to make any progress.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or know any solicitors who are experience in student immigration/fee status appeals?

Any notes/advice are much appreciated :smile:
If you have UK passport and have lived in the UK continuously for 4yrs prior to the course start date, have the uni explained on what grounds they've assessed you as being overseas?
Reply 2
Vaguely - I've appealed twice and gotten different explanations both times. One time they claimed I was in the UK for education (to be fair, I was studying at a UK uni at the beginning of it, but it was remote), and the second time they claimed my "family home" was in the USA, so they didnt count me living in the UK.

The communication has been cryptic so far, so it looks like I'll have to involve a solicitor unfortunately.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Most solicitors will give a free initial consultation and refer you in the right direction. If you’re short of cash you could try a community advice law centre. Or NUS might be willing to help you
Original post by crscrs
Vaguely - I've appealed twice and gotten different explanations both times. One time they claimed I was in the UK for education (to be fair, I was studying at a UK uni at the beginning of it, but it was remote), and the second time they claimed my "family home" was in the USA, so they didnt count me living in the UK.

The communication has been cryptic so far, so it looks like I'll have to involve a solicitor unfortunately.

Usually it's a case of providing evidence that you were permanently resident in the UK for the 3yrs prior. e.g. Mortgage, utility bills, work contracts, travel back and forth if you were out of the UK.

What was your address outside of the UK and how was that being used?
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Usually it's a case of providing evidence that you were permanently resident in the UK for the 3yrs prior. e.g. Mortgage, utility bills, work contracts, travel back and forth if you were out of the UK.
What was your address outside of the UK and how was that being used?

Yeah haha I provided bills/employment contracts/bank statements/payslips/tax info/NHS letters for all of the years but unfortunately they aren't budging. Can't put it any way other than perplexing.

I personally didn't have a US address, though my parents do. It wasn't used for anything.
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
Most solicitors will give a free initial consultation and refer you in the right direction. If you’re short of cash you could try a community advice law centre. Or NUS might be willing to help you

Amazing, thank you.
Original post by crscrs
Yeah haha I provided bills/employment contracts/bank statements/payslips/tax info/NHS letters for all of the years but unfortunately they aren't budging. Can't put it any way other than perplexing.

I personally didn't have a US address, though my parents do. It wasn't used for anything.

Where was the address on your application, or did they begin looking into your fee status from your education history?
Which Uni is this?
Reply 9
Where was the address on your application, or did they begin looking into your fee status from your education history?

Application address was UK but the initial form asked for all addresses I've ever lived at so I included it there.
Original post by crscrs
Application address was UK but the initial form asked for all addresses I've ever lived at so I included it there.

Interesting. From my experience in fee reassessments there's nothing you've written here that is ringing any alarm bells, so I am unsure why they are stiking to their guns. Especially if they are not being clear as to why they think 3yrs residency and UK passport aren't sufficient.

Personally I would enquire with them about their complaints process as I doubt that a solicitor would be able to assist until that option is exhausted.
Reply 11
Interesting. From my experience in fee reassessments there's nothing you've written here that is ringing any alarm bells, so I am unsure why they are stiking to their guns. Especially if they are not being clear as to why they think 3yrs residency and UK passport aren't sufficient.
Personally I would enquire with them about their complaints process as I doubt that a solicitor would be able to assist until that option is exhausted.

Ah I see, this is helpful advice - thank you.

Quick Reply