The Student Room Group

Med schools for me ?

Hiya,
I’m currently in year 12 and am planning to apply do medical schools this year, I go to a sixth form grammar school and am predicted A*A*A*A* in bio, chem, phys, maths, in my GCSEs I achieved 999999998877 (3 of the 9s are resits, were originally 8)
I’ve checked with my teachers and other year 13 at my sixth form that have been offered a place at Oxbridge medical school and my work experience, supercurriculars and extracurriculars seem good.
I will be sitting the UCAT this year - I’ve been preparing for it since the end of year 11
Does anyone have any suggestions on which medical unis are not gcse heavy?
I know that Cardiff and Oxford are two to avoid. I’ve been told from my resits could potentially harm my application.
Also, I know Cambridge is not gcse heavy, but the average successful applicant has 9 9s at gcse, I was also slightly confused about this, why is Cambridge considered to be less focused on GCSEs however successful applicants have a greater number of 9s?
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya,
I’m currently in year 12 and am planning to apply do medical schools this year, I go to a sixth form grammar school and am predicted A*A*A*A* in bio, chem, phys, maths, in my GCSEs I achieved 999999998877 (3 of the 9s are resits, were originally 8)
I’ve checked with my teachers and other year 13 at my sixth form that have been offered a place at Oxbridge medical school and my work experience, supercurriculars and extracurriculars seem good.
I will be sitting the UCAT this year - I’ve been preparing for it since the end of year 11
Does anyone have any suggestions on which medical unis are not gcse heavy?
I know that Cardiff and Oxford are two to avoid. I’ve been told from my resits could potentially harm my application.
Also, I know Cambridge is not gcse heavy, but the average successful applicant has 9 9s at gcse, I was also slightly confused about this, why is Cambridge considered to be less focused on GCSEs however successful applicants have a greater number of 9s?
wait until you sit your UCAT before thinking about which unis to apply to. make a strategic shortlist based off your UCAT score (strategically applying is still important if you score high as places with high thresholds tend to have lower interview to offer ratio so you’re more likely to secure a place)
then once you have your shortlist you can look at the uni websites to see if they mind GCSE resits, or if there’s no info about that available on the website then you can email them to ask. as far as i’m aware many med schools don’t mind GCSE resits and they’re more concerned about A-level resits

Quick Reply