The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Full Time and Open Uni (also full time)

has anyone went to the open university full time, and also a full time job too?

how was it? was it bearable? any tips? i’m planning on engineering or combined science!
Original post by Anonymous
has anyone went to the open university full time, and also a full time job too?
how was it? was it bearable? any tips? i’m planning on engineering or combined science!
Depends on your levels of commitment, commitmentS and what results you want! Full time means a minimum of about 32 hours study per week technically, more around assignments. Some modules are ok, some are brutal and take a lot of time. You could probably do level 1 full time as it's not that hard (depending on your background) and results don't count towards your final degree classification (level 2 and 3 do). I'm now on Level 3, have 2 more modules to go (data science degree), and only done level 2 full time, but I worked part time so it was ok, although I didn't do as well as I'd hoped. If you are prepared to have no social life, dedicate every weekend and evening to study and take days off work around exams, then sure, go for it. I have a family and it would be impossible :frown:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Starry-Night123
Depends on your levels of commitment, commitmentS and what results you want! Full time means a minimum of about 32 hours study per week technically, more around assignments. Some modules are ok, some are brutal and take a lot of time. You could probably do level 1 full time as it's not that hard (depending on your background) and results don't count towards your final degree classification (level 2 and 3 do). I'm now on Level 3, have 2 more modules to go (data science degree), and only done level 2 full time, but I worked part time so it was ok, although I didn't do as well as I'd hoped. If you are prepared to have no social life, dedicate every weekend and evening to study and take days off work around exams, then sure, go for it. I have a family and it would be impossible :frown:

I really want a first class. I do live alone, my only friend is my partner and he’s in another city lmao. I think it should be okay?
Sounds perfect 😀 Sounds almost like me when I started, but then decided to have a baby in year 1, and relocate in year 3, all pretty time consuming, lol, so life could get in the way. Go for it at least for level 1, it's much easier than 2/3, but be prepared to have to drop to part time later on if you think the pressure is too much. I definitely would not recommend full time/full time for level 3, especially if you want a first. I also want a first and probably spent at least 100 hours on my final stats paper last month, when they reckon it should take about 30 🤣
With full time you will likely have assignments due around the same weeks so having two at the same time might be too much on top of a full time job..don't forget to have down time too.

There is a study planner on the OU site and you can see how many hours you really have a week..

Quick Reply