The Student Room Group

Will SFE fund a top up degree if I have an ordinary degree?

I have an ordinary degree, which is 300 credits - to get a honours degree I would need 360 credits. I have a Ba Hons in Economics and Management, I failed my final year and I used my gift year, therefore SFE funded my degree for 3 years + gift year = 4 years. (In my gift year, SFE funded 60 credits only out of 120 credits as a I repeated 2 modules only = 40 + 20 = 60 credits) and I got a full maintenance loan as the modules were spread in two semesters.

I want to apply for a top up degree in accounting and finance to get a honours degree which is a 1 year course. The course is 120 credits long but I would need to complete 60 credits to get a honours degree. I hope that the university will let me do that, Im waiting for their response.

Will student finance fund a top up course for me? I’ve rang student finance and they said that it’s a different degree and that I will be eligible for funding, and they also said that I’m still eligible for UG funding for 2 years (I have told them that I used my gift year). Is this true? I just want to double check. I’ve also just read that funding for a top up degree is only available for part time students, I’m confused.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Hi there. Top up degrees can be full time and part time. The amount of funding you have will depend on the course. Can you confirm the full name of the new course and university? Will the new course be full time or part time? How many years will it be? When does the new course start? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 2
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Top up degrees can be full time and part time. The amount of funding you have will depend on the course. Can you confirm the full name of the new course and university? Will the new course be full time or part time? How many years will it be? When does the new course start? Thanks, Leah.

It is a full time course which starts in September 2024, the course code is N421 and the name is Accounting and Finance BSc Hons Completion Award, it is a 1 year course, at Northumbria Uni.
Will I only be eligible for funding of a part-time top up degree?
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by aniaklebek
It is a full time course which starts in September 2024, the course code is N421 and the name is Accounting and Finance BSc Hons Completion Award, it is a 1 year course, at Northumbria Uni.
Will I only be eligible for funding of a part-time top up degree?

Hi there, top up degrees are not only for part time courses and students. Full time students can also apply for this. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, top up degrees are not only for part time courses and students. Full time students can also apply for this. Thanks, Jason
Thanks for the reply, but will I be eligible for funding in my situation? Which I described in my question:
“I have an ordinary degree, which is 300 credits - to get ahonours degree I would need 360 credits. I have a Ba Honsin Economics and Management, I failed my final year and Iused my gift year, therefore SFE funded my degree for 3years + gift year = 4 years. (In my gift year, SFE funded 60credits only out of 120 credits as a I repeated 2 modulesonly = 40 + 20 = 60 credits) and I got a full maintenanceloan as the modules were spread in two semesters.
I want to apply for a top up degree in accounting andfinance to get a honours degree which is a 1 year course.The course is 120 credits long but I would need to complete60 credits to get a honours degree. I hope that theuniversity will let me do that, Im waiting for their response.
Will student finance fund a top up course for me? I’ve rangstudent finance and they said that it’s a different degreeand that I will be eligible for funding, and they also said thatI’m still eligible for UG funding for 2 years (I have told themthat I used my gift year). Is this true? I just want to doublecheck. I’ve also just read that funding for a top up degree isonly available for part time students, I’m confused.”
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by aniaklebek
Thanks for the reply, but will I be eligible for funding in my situation? Which I described in my question:
“I have an ordinary degree, which is 300 credits - to get ahonours degree I would need 360 credits. I have a Ba Honsin Economics and Management, I failed my final year and Iused my gift year, therefore SFE funded my degree for 3years + gift year = 4 years. (In my gift year, SFE funded 60credits only out of 120 credits as a I repeated 2 modulesonly = 40 + 20 = 60 credits) and I got a full maintenanceloan as the modules were spread in two semesters.
I want to apply for a top up degree in accounting andfinance to get a honours degree which is a 1 year course.The course is 120 credits long but I would need to complete60 credits to get a honours degree. I hope that theuniversity will let me do that, Im waiting for their response.
Will student finance fund a top up course for me? I’ve rangstudent finance and they said that it’s a different degreeand that I will be eligible for funding, and they also said thatI’m still eligible for UG funding for 2 years (I have told themthat I used my gift year). Is this true? I just want to doublecheck. I’ve also just read that funding for a top up degree isonly available for part time students, I’m confused.”

If you've already been advised you're eligible when you called us I'd advise going with the information you were provided over the phone. We're unable to check accounts on this platform so unable to see your application and information to double check this. If it's for a 24/25 course you can apply for this now. You'll be notified of your eligibility as well when the assessors process this and send you your entitlement letter. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply