The Student Room Group

Management and Marketing Undergrad (Uni Choices)

I am shortlisting my unit and currently, I have these units in my long list: Bath, Leeds Exeter, Lancaster, Loughborough, Manchester, Southampton. I've done my research and I would like a course that have a diversity of optional modules. I would really appreciate it if anybody can tell me which unis they think are the best and advise me to add to the shortlist. I would also like to know more about the difference between the courses of different unis, and also their student life. I would also want to have a placement year so I would love some advice about which unis are the best at aiding you with your placement year. Thank you!
Original post by MarthaTrinh
I am shortlisting my unit and currently, I have these units in my long list: Bath, Leeds Exeter, Lancaster, Loughborough, Manchester, Southampton. I've done my research and I would like a course that have a diversity of optional modules. I would really appreciate it if anybody can tell me which unis they think are the best and advise me to add to the shortlist. I would also like to know more about the difference between the courses of different unis, and also their student life. I would also want to have a placement year so I would love some advice about which unis are the best at aiding you with your placement year. Thank you!

Hi @MarthaTrinh ,

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

My biggest recommendation would be to look at the course page for each university and look at the break down of each module. At Loughborough we offer BSc Marketing. There is a section 'What You'll Study' which breaks down each compulsory and optional module for each year of the course. When I was deciding which course was best suited to me I compared all modules of each university course.

All our courses at Loughborough offer a placement year and study abroad option. There is more information on the course page about placement/study abroad with information about our industry links, past student placements and support you will receive. The support I got when searching and securing my placement year was so helpful.

Some insight into Loughborough in general. Loughborough is very much a student town and as you are on a campus it has such a strong community feel- I really love this as it is not as you tend to see a lot of people you know. People are really friendly and I have met some great friends. The facilities at Loughborough are amazing- particularly for sport but also for academics. During the week most social events happens on campus through the Student Union. For example, there tend to be 2 nights out in the week (Wednesday and Friday) and events during the day which differ week to week. Take a look at our student union website for more insight here. At the weekends more seems to happen off campus. In town (which is walking distance from campus) there are multiple pubs, bars, cafe's, restaurants and nightclubs which tend to be full of students at the weekend. You do need to keep in mind that Loughborough is a town so can't offer what big cities can. If we fancy a bigger city night out we tend to go to either Nottingham or Leicester on the train as they are both approximately 20 minutes away. The train station isn't far from campus and there is a campus shuttle which goes to the station.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please do ask ๐Ÿ™‚

Alex
Reply 2
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi @MarthaTrinh ,
Great to hear you are considering Loughborough!
My biggest recommendation would be to look at the course page for each university and look at the break down of each module. At Loughborough we offer BSc Marketing. There is a section 'What You'll Study' which breaks down each compulsory and optional module for each year of the course. When I was deciding which course was best suited to me I compared all modules of each university course.
All our courses at Loughborough offer a placement year and study abroad option. There is more information on the course page about placement/study abroad with information about our industry links, past student placements and support you will receive. The support I got when searching and securing my placement year was so helpful.
Some insight into Loughborough in general. Loughborough is very much a student town and as you are on a campus it has such a strong community feel- I really love this as it is not as you tend to see a lot of people you know. People are really friendly and I have met some great friends. The facilities at Loughborough are amazing- particularly for sport but also for academics. During the week most social events happens on campus through the Student Union. For example, there tend to be 2 nights out in the week (Wednesday and Friday) and events during the day which differ week to week. Take a look at our student union website for more insight here. At the weekends more seems to happen off campus. In town (which is walking distance from campus) there are multiple pubs, bars, cafe's, restaurants and nightclubs which tend to be full of students at the weekend. You do need to keep in mind that Loughborough is a town so can't offer what big cities can. If we fancy a bigger city night out we tend to go to either Nottingham or Leicester on the train as they are both approximately 20 minutes away. The train station isn't far from campus and there is a campus shuttle which goes to the station.
I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please do ask ๐Ÿ™‚
Alex
Thank you so much for all these information! It was really helpful!
Reply 3
Exeter and Lancaster are both very good in Marketing
Reply 4
Exeter and Lancaster are both very good in Marketing
Thank you for the information!!
Original post by MarthaTrinh

Hey @MarthaTrinh ๐Ÿ˜„

Glad to hear you're considering coming her to Southampton! My suggestion is to research into all the programmes that each University offers and make a comprehensive list. I would also look at the campuses and facilities offered by each uni as these can vary greatly. Something that I found useful when making my decision of which university was ordering the prospectuses and going from there, as I found you could really get a feel for the universities through them! You could also attend an open day, you can see the dates for Southampton's and book here.

In terms of Southampton, we offer the BSc Marketing degree, as well as the BSc Marketing with Placement Year counterpart which you have expressed interest in. When on the placement year programme, you will have support from the business school's Placement Office and the Careers and Employability Service. Also, in general, on whatever programme you're on, you'll receive support from your tutor, lecturers, and the student hub. You can have a look at the breakdown of modules on the module page, and see if they interest you. Both programmes are based on our Highfield campus, which is home to our Student Union (SUSU).

SUSU is home to our clubs and societies and is a key part of student life. I personally am not a member of many societies, only the BioSoc since I am a biology student, but I still find it fun to attend the events that different societies hold such as the winter and summer balls, movie nights, and star gazing. Furthermore, if you are interested in the nightlife in Southampton, most societies hold pub crawls which end at a nightclub (usually jesters) which I think is an easy way to get introduced. There's a mix of different events held through the student union and you get the newsletter through your student email every week, so I find it easy to join in.

I hope this helps, and I wish you luck on your decision!
Jen (UoS student rep)
Hi @MarthaTrinh

It's wonderful to hear that you are considering the University of Southampton for your studies in Management or Marketing.

My name is Akshita Gupta and I have just finished my first year studying BSc Business Management with Placement at the University of Southampton. As a student representative, I am happy to share my insights about studying here to help you make an informed decision.

The University of Southampton offers a diverse range of module choices to it's students, allowing them to personalise their module selection and learn about topics that interest them. Please click on these links for more information about the compulsory and optional module choices for each year in BSc Business Management and BSc Marketing.

The Southampton Business School has a dedicated Placement Team that will guide and support you on every step of your placement journey. During the first year, we have a module called 'Realising Success' which focuses on identifying your career pathway and how to create a competitive employability portfolio. The SBS Placement Team also helps prepare us for interviews, assessment centres, presentations and many other stages of the selection process! Additionally, there is the careers, employability and student enterprise team that provides support to students in terms of work experience schemes, CV support, networking and volunteering opportunities.

Personally, I find the student life here extremely fun and exciting. Southampton is a lively and student-friendly city with good connectivity to London and other cities. The university has a vibrant campus with green spaces and beautiful gardens. There is always something happening that you can get involved in! There are plenty of activities and events taking place on the campus and around the city, with many pubs and places you can go out to with friends. The people in Southampton are also friendly, supportive and helpful.

Further, the university provides students access to a wide range of opportunities and activities that can help them gain work experience and develop essential skills, such as on-campus jobs, enterprise events, recruiter fairs, training programs, internships, and much more! Southampton University Students' Union is extremely active and offers students numerous events, clubs and societies (over 400), ranging from academic clubs to ones related to sports, hobbies or culture.

In terms of student support, each student is assigned a Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) to help you with any course related problems, there is a Student Hub which can be contacted 24/7 and the advice centre in the student Union. The university also provides fantastic facilities to students such as modern libraries, labs, a startup incubator, a sports centre which offers a range of fitness activities, and much more!

I hope this helps!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post your questions and I will be happy to get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Akshita Gupta
(University of Southampton Student Rep)
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Hello MarthaTrinh,

My name is Sophie and I am final year student at Exeter and I am more than happy to give you a little flavour of Exeter. It is great to hear you are planning on studying with us!

Firstly, I am not sure if you are aware but Exeter is a campus uni which means we have anything and everything you could possibly need on campus, from a pub, coffee shops, food shops and even a doctors. Not only this but although everything you could need is on campus, our town is about a 15 minute walk away and just a train away we have the most amazing beaches which are perfect for final term and cheeky BBQs. The beach was definitely a huge selling point for me whilst I was choosing between my options! We also have a quay which is perfect all year round and about a 30 minute walk away, its a brilliant spot for walks, a quick coffee and there is a few pubs down there! I would definitely recommend a picnic on the green too overlooking the Cathedral- which hosts our magical Christmas markets!

We also have a huge range of societies you can join at Exeter, from the likes of Quidditch soc and Swift Soc, to sports and subject societies, the list is almost endless. Plus you can even make your own society if you find enough people that would want to join- how cool! Have a look a our extensive list here: https://my.exeterguild.com/

Moreover, it is great to hear you have done your research about the courses! If you wanted to know more about marketing at Exeter especially, I would recommend you to have a chat with one of our current students via our unibuddy system:
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/life/ask-a-student/?utm_source=studentroom&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=uoe-acquisition-enquiry

If we are lucky enough to make it to your short-list, I would also recommend paying us a visit because our uni does sell itself!
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/?utm_source=studentroom&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=uoe-acquisition-enquiry

Hope this helps- I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Sophie, University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 8
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @MarthaTrinh
It's wonderful to hear that you are considering the University of Southampton for your studies in Management or Marketing.
My name is Akshita Gupta and I have just finished my first year studying BSc Business Management with Placement at the University of Southampton. As a student representative, I am happy to share my insights about studying here to help you make an informed decision.
The University of Southampton offers a diverse range of module choices to it's students, allowing them to personalise their module selection and learn about topics that interest them. Please click on these links for more information about the compulsory and optional module choices for each year in BSc Business Management and BSc Marketing.
The Southampton Business School has a dedicated Placement Team that will guide and support you on every step of your placement journey. During the first year, we have a module called 'Realising Success' which focuses on identifying your career pathway and how to create a competitive employability portfolio. The SBS Placement Team also helps prepare us for interviews, assessment centres, presentations and many other stages of the selection process! Additionally, there is the careers, employability and student enterprise team that provides support to students in terms of work experience schemes, CV support, networking and volunteering opportunities.
Personally, I find the student life here extremely fun and exciting. Southampton is a lively and student-friendly city with good connectivity to London and other cities. The university has a vibrant campus with green spaces and beautiful gardens. There is always something happening that you can get involved in! There are plenty of activities and events taking place on the campus and around the city, with many pubs and places you can go out to with friends. The people in Southampton are also friendly, supportive and helpful.
Further, the university provides students access to a wide range of opportunities and activities that can help them gain work experience and develop essential skills, such as on-campus jobs, entreprise events, recruiter fairs, training programs, internships, and much more! Southampton University Students' Union is extremely active and offers students numerous events, clubs and societies (over 400), ranging from academic clubs to ones related to sports, hobbies or culture.
In terms of student support, each student is assigned a Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) to help you with any course related problems, there is a Student Hub which can be contacted 24/7 and the advice centre in the student Union. The university also provides fantastic facilities to students such as modern libraries, labs, a startup incubator, a sports centre which offers a range of fitness activities, and much more!
I hope this helps!
If you have any further questions, please feel free to post your questions and I will be happy to get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you,
Akshita Gupta
(University of Southampton Student Rep)

Thank you! Southampton sounds very exciting!
Reply 9
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hello MarthaTrinh,
My name is Sophie and I am final year student at Exeter and I am more than happy to give you a little flavour of Exeter. It is great to hear you are planning on studying with us!
Firstly, I am not sure if you are aware but Exeter is a campus uni which means we have anything and everything you could possibly need on campus, from a pub, coffee shops, food shops and even a doctors. Not only this but although everything you could need is on campus, our town is about a 15 minute walk away and just a train away we have the most amazing beaches which are perfect for final term and cheeky BBQs. The beach was definitely a huge selling point for me whilst I was choosing between my options! We also have a quay which is perfect all year round and about a 30 minute walk away, its a brilliant spot for walks, a quick coffee and there is a few pubs down there! I would definitely recommend a picnic on the green too overlooking the Cathedral- which hosts our magical Christmas markets!
We also have a huge range of societies you can join at Exeter, from the likes of Quidditch soc and Swift Soc, to sports and subject societies, the list is almost endless. Plus you can even make your own society if you find enough people that would want to join- how cool! Have a look a our extensive list here: https://my.exeterguild.com/
Moreover, it is great to hear you have done your research about the courses! If you wanted to know more about marketing at Exeter especially, I would recommend you to have a chat with one of our current students via our unibuddy system:
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/life/ask-a-student/?utm_source=studentroom&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=uoe-acquisition-enquiry
If we are lucky enough to make it to your short-list, I would also recommend paying us a visit because our uni does sell itself!
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/?utm_source=studentroom&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=uoe-acquisition-enquiry
Hope this helps- I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Sophie, University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Thank you so much Sophie, I also love Exeter for its beach too!

Quick Reply