This discussion is closed.
james101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I currently just wear sports clothes, which is basically football shirts, adidas and reebok clothes.

I want to buy some new clothes because thats all i really have and i cant wear that to go out. I dont really like jeans but will probaly have to buy some. What mens clothes shops would you suggest i go to? I dont really want to spend loads.

What clothes would you suggest i buy?

Thanks
rainjan_4now
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well, im not a man, but if you go along a high street, im sure u'll be directed to the shops u like- just stay clear of the sports shops
bellacoco
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
ok, I am somehwat of a fashionista, so allow me to help. You obviously like to be comfortable, hence the sports attire. You don't want to wear anything dratically different otherwise, you will not only feel uncomfortable but you will certainly look it. Therefore, may I suggest some cool cargos, accompanied by a layered look up top. For example a long-sleeved hsirt under a cool form fitted t-shirt, or polo even. Also, wearing a nice semi snug sweater over a long sleeved button up is totally in style as well(looks great with jeans).
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You should just stick to jeans and a tshirt, works every time :cool:
bellacoco
Report 14 years ago
sorry about all of the typos!!!!!!
james101
Rep:
?
yeah i will probaly get some jeans, possibly a polo and also a zipped top, maybe a hoody.

The only thing is if i do buy jeans i dont want them to make my legs look skinny and also i only have white reebok trainers which i dont think will look right with jeans?

Hope you can help.
bellacoco
Report 14 years ago
Oh yes, zip tops are fabulous. As for the white reeboks - lose them, and fast!! The jeans... amke sure you buy a flare leg or boot cut which means they will not come to tight close around your calf and ankle, thus preventing the bird leg effect. Shoes.... a nice pair of casual black or brown leather shoes are always an easy way to dress up(but not too much) a acsual outfit.. I wish I could tell you which stores to visit but I am from the states and I only shop at Harrod's when I visit.
james101
Rep:
?
i dont really want to wear shoes what about those trainers that are white, the puma type ones if you know what i mean?
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by james101)
I currently just wear sports clothes, which is basically football shirts, adidas and reebok clothes.

I want to buy some new clothes because thats all i really have and i cant wear that to go out. I dont really like jeans but will probaly have to buy some. What mens clothes shops would you suggest i go to? I dont really want to spend loads.

What clothes would you suggest i buy?

Thanks
combats?nice smart shirt? sweaters?
james101
Rep:
?
i have looked at the burton and topman website. I will probaly just buy jeans, t-shirt, hoody and some trainers if i can find decent ones.
amo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
GAP and h n m for starters then maybe river island, topman, or just random ones that look ok from the outside
covered farm wagon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
H&M does pretty good mens clothes (although they do some horrific ones too), and they're cheap so you should look there. I agree with whoever said layering - a casual shirt and sweater, or shirt and t-shirt generally looks good. If you're not used to wearing jeans, be sure to shop around and try different ones on to make sure you get a a pair that look great.
amo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by covered farm wa)
H&M does pretty good mens clothes (although they do some horrific ones too), and they're cheap so you should look there. I agree with whoever said layering - a casual shirt and sweater, or shirt and t-shirt generally looks good. If you're not used to wearing jeans, be sure to shop around and try different ones on to make sure you get a a pair that look great.
i dunno the layering thing only works at parties with friends of similar ages... not for general or club wear
Mishael
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You want a pair of shoes...some places won't let you in with trainers on.
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Black, anything black is good.....
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dunno if this is a style you'd like, but there are nice clothes on the Cult Clothing website, like the gorgeous Superdry vintage stripey polo shirts

http://www.cult.co.uk/
james101
Rep:
?
im not going to a club just going out, cinema probaly then having something to eat and drink.
ClosetGinger
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yay...I love giving men advice, well in terms of the 'look' I always suggest low slung jeans and a pair of converse, it looks good on anyone from rude boy to skater.

The first thing to invest in is a really nice pair of jeans which might set you back a bit BUT you'll be able to wear them dressed up with a nice shirt or for everyday wear.

Then buy a selection of t-shirts, if you go to H&M you can get some decent ones for about £5-10, get some with a design and some plain. Also get a couple of shirts, one dressy (for nights out) and one casual.

You'll also need to get a jacket, a tailored one can look pretty nice if you're in good shape or otherwise just a semi-casual one.

In terms of shops I suggest H&M (but take someone with you because they have some truly hideous and also very very camp outfits) River Island is pretty nice but nothing special, I suggest heading to some vintage shops where you can get something original and also pretty cheap. If you are happy with internet shopping then I have found www.asos.com to be...amazing and their menswear selection is pretty groovy.

Best bet if you are a student in a big city is to check out the markets, you dont have to get the typical 'fake burberry market stall tat' you can, if you go to clothes markets get some original and reasonable priced stuff!

Hope this helps!

Tessx
james101
Rep:
?
good advice, has anyone heard of rockwood trainers?
TKR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No no no! people! stop suggesting that he wears layers! long sleeved tops under t-shirts are sooooo over! they were over last year (in the south anyways)! As for trainers, get yourself to legends and buy yourself a nice pair of etnies if your going to heavily into jeans, or some chunky DCs if you prefer combats and cords etc.

As for tops, hoodies are always good, take inspiration from the oc if you want, as long as you're not too chunky, horizontal stripes are kinda nice at the moment.

H&M is cheap, but if you put the work in, house of fraser can be your mecca! Avoid all things bench, fcuk! (yuk yuk yuk!) ummmm, avoid too many t-shirts with random logos on from places like burtons and H&M (you know the ones i mean, they say things like "salon '65" or some rubbish that doesnt mean anything.) also avoid overstated logos. If you're going for a shirt, one or two nice ones are much preferable to a load of crap, and PLEASE stay away from short-sleeved shirts, very chav.

You could go for long-sleeved shirt under sweater, but it's really being overdone at the moment, and if you do it, do it right, with nice brands, and matching colours. For god's sake have the shirt stripy or something, not plain, or you'll look like a teacher. Flares - OK i guess, but make sure you try them on, too much flare will make you look sooooo gay. As long as you avoid the extremes with jeans, you should be ok, just make sure you try everything on, and get every angle in the mirror, take a girl shopping if you need her opinion, tell her to check out your ass; people dont realise how much time they spend being seen from behind.

That's all the advice I can give really, congratulations from moving away from the whole sportswear thing, it relaly is a little bit year 9!

Good Luck!

oh, and another thing, please please please dont buy anyhting with an england flag on or a stupid zip-up jacket with a country name on, that is soooo 2 years ago!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (95)
24.55%
No (292)
75.45%

Watched Threads