The Student Room Group

Phone in pocket in A level Exam

Today I was late to my physics exam so I was already nervous and in a rush, When I entered the building I had taken my calculator out of my bag and rushed into the exam hall.

When I had sat down and taken my calculator out of my pocket I had then realised my phone was in there too, however since the exam had already started I was afraid to let the invigilators know it was in my pocket since I didn’t want my paper to be ripped up.

I end up sitting most of the paper and when it comes to the last 20 minutes I end up needing the toilet. It was then after I had used the toilet and sat down in the exam that the invigilator had noticed my phone was in my pocket, in which she asks for and takes it.
Initially I had thought my paper would be ripped up however it turned out that I sat the whole paper until the end.

However, after the exam I get called back and had to explain what had happened, I had to then write a statement to my exam board AQA explaining the situation, for it to be sent to them to be checked and decided what will happen.

This was a stupid but genuine mistake and I did not go on my phone when I was in the toilet although I know that this can’t be proved. Will AQA acknowledge the mistake or will my paper automatically be disqualified?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by elastic-pushbutt
Today I was late to my physics exam so I was already nervous and in a rush, When I entered the building I had taken my calculator out of my bag and rushed into the exam hall.
When I had sat down and taken my calculator out of my pocket I had then realised my phone was in there too, however since the exam had already started I was afraid to let the invigilators know it was in my pocket since I didn’t want my paper to be ripped up.
I end up sitting most of the paper and when it comes to the last 20 minutes I end up needing the toilet. It was then after I had used the toilet and sat down in the exam that the invigilator had noticed my phone was in my pocket, in which she asks for and takes it.
Initially I had thought my paper would be ripped up however it turned out that I sat the whole paper until the end.
However, after the exam I get called back and had to explain what had happened, I had to then write a statement to my exam board AQA explaining the situation, for it to be sent to them to be checked and decided what will happen.
This was a stupid but genuine mistake and I did not go on my phone when I was in the toilet although I know that this can’t be proved. Will AQA acknowledge the mistake or will my paper automatically be disqualified?

Not gonna sugarcoat it for you - unfortunately without proof you didn't use your phone in the toilet disqualification is likely.
Original post by MaCsHi
Not gonna sugarcoat it for you - unfortunately without proof you didn't use your phone in the toilet disqualification is likely.

Do you think it’ll be for the whole physics or just this one paper 3
Reply 3

That's a little harder to answer. In my mind two things can happen;

They recognise that there were no issues with papers 1 and 2 (i.e. no statement had to be written to the exam board). In this case, it will be just paper 3 that you are disqualified from.

They consider that you could have done this in papers 1 and 2 and only got caught this time (on paper 3), thus disqualify you from all of physics.

I cannot tell you the chances of one of these two options happening because I am not AQA. However don't forget that there is a chance (however slim) that they understand your situation and don't disqualify you from any papers!

Did they check whther your phone had been used?

Papers are never torn up - who told you that!

Didn't the invigilator ask everyone to chcek for phones before the exam started|?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Didn't the invigilator ask everyone to chcek for phones before the exam started|?

teachers say torn up or ripped up a lot, i think it's just to scare students but i never thought they were serious
Original post by carbon1k
teachers say torn up or ripped up a lot, i think it's just to scare students but i never thought they were serious

What about the questions I asked?
Reply 7
What about the questions I asked?

I don't know. I'm not OP. but ive heard of the torn up phrase before
Reply 8

If you can prove, usually by the wifi history use, that you didn’t search anything up that might help your case. Perhaps call apple up and ask them if they can help you with proving phone activity or your network or look it up.

I think the fact that you went to the toilet doesn't help your case at all. Had you been caught with it inside the exam hall, AQA may have been more lenient as it's less likely that you would use it in a room full of invigilators and you may have genuinly just forgotten it. But, I think the toilet break makes your statement harder to prove as it would have been a perfect opportunity to use it. I think it really just depends how well you explained yourself in your statement but as another commenter said, maybe getting evidence of the IP/Wi-fi history or maybe screen time might help you. Also, if the invigilator did not remind you at the start of the exam to hand in prohibited items, which they always should, then that could greatly support your statement. I wish you all the best, and try not to stress too much!
(edited 4 weeks ago)

I’ve been told and seen stories of exam papers getting torn up in exams, if they’re never torn up it now looks like I’ve made up an excuse🤦
And I was late into my exam so I missed the Invigilators talk

And no the did not check if it had been used
I’ve been told and seen stories of exam papers getting torn up in exams, if they’re never torn up it now looks like I’ve made up an excuse🤦
And I was late into my exam so I missed the Invigilators talk

Exams papers can't be torn up in GCSEs or A levels - they are evidemce and it's not down to to the school what happens. [Teacher speaking here - people do make up stories!]
To best help your case I’d get someone technical/ with an understanding of phones to evidence it hadn’t been used/ help your case as much as possible, unfortunately it is completely at the discretion of the exam board whether they take it into account or not and the level of action they might take but you may as well provide as much evidence you can to back yourself!

Your network can confirm this and I'd ask the school to do that.
Original post by siennar
If you can prove, usually by the wifi history use, that you didn’t search anything up that might help your case. Perhaps call apple up and ask them if they can help you with proving phone activity or your network or look it up.

Apple won't give you this information. Perhaps using screen time but you need to prove that you haven't fudged the numbers. Looks like story is complete BS though, they where probably cheating

Only if the phone was only ever connected to the schools wifi. If it was on mobile data that isn't proof. Also I doubt AQA is going to accept "proof" from your phone which you could have easily altered

How can I get my network to confirm it?
Original post by BigWemmy
Apple won't give you this information. Perhaps using screen time but you need to prove that you haven't fudged the numbers. Looks like story is complete BS though, they where probably cheating

If I was cheating I wouldn’t even come to ask on here lmao, I’m looking for genuine help
How can I get my network to confirm it?

Contact them and ask for internet access time and date and call data [time and number] for the exam date/time

Quick Reply