The Student Room Group

Student housing

I paid deposit and signed the contract for a student house. The house is family owned and the house did seem fine at first but after paying deposit and signing the contract I visited the area again and it didn’t look safe. There was strong smell of weed and it just didn’t look safe. I have found a different accom and want to back out of this house. I haven’t moved in yet will I be liable to pay rent still and will I get my deposit back? It’s been 7 days since I signed and paid the house
Hi Hann,
I think you must get in touch with them immediately and Ask them if you are allowed to rethink your decision, a lot of contracts have 7 days cooling off period, which means you cant get out of it after 7 days, but your contract might have that clause if you would like to cancel your tenancy, I think you must go and check your contract and according to their cancellation clause, you might be able to get out of the contract.
however; you might/might not get your deposit back depending upon the clause.
Reply 2
Original post by cuteepooja
Hi Hann,
I think you must get in touch with them immediately and Ask them if you are allowed to rethink your decision, a lot of contracts have 7 days cooling off period, which means you cant get out of it after 7 days, but your contract might have that clause if you would like to cancel your tenancy, I think you must go and check your contract and according to their cancellation clause, you might be able to get out of the contract.
however; you might/might not get your deposit back depending upon the clause.

There is no clause in the contract stating to early termination of the contract
Original post by hann.c
There is no clause in the contract stating to early termination of the contract

The you will need to find a replacement tenant to take over your lease or you are liable to pay as you have signed the contract. Contact the landlord for assistant
Original post by hann.c
I paid deposit and signed the contract for a student house. The house is family owned and the house did seem fine at first but after paying deposit and signing the contract I visited the area again and it didn’t look safe. There was strong smell of weed and it just didn’t look safe. I have found a different accom and want to back out of this house. I haven’t moved in yet will I be liable to pay rent still and will I get my deposit back? It’s been 7 days since I signed and paid the house

Hi there,
If there is no clause regarding termination, I'd advise speaking to your landlord/estate agent through which you booked the accommodation and ask about the prospect of a tenancy takeover. You may be required to find someone to takeover the tenancy yourself, in which case online forums and social media are a good place to start. If you feel like you need further advice or have concerns, it may be worth speaking to your university's housing service (if they have one).

-Nicky

Quick Reply