The Student Room Group

what degree should i pick?

i have the a level subjects bio chem and maths and i'm in year 12.
i'm considering picking chemical engineering meng but a lot of people online say theres a lack of jobs and/or is very difficult as well. for anyone whos done chemical engineering or is doing it, can you give any insight on if it's a good degree?
i'm also looking into material science and engineering because a lot of people say that is good as well, so can anyone tell me if that's a good degree too?
Hi!

I am currently second year studying Mechanical Engineering and I have really enjoyed it. Learning about how Maths and Physics relate to the real world and getting hands-on experience such as building a bridge in the first year from materials in the workshop and a vehicle that went up and down it was quite fun! As well as this, through the course we have learned about managing people and projects and using CAD to model our designs. Studying Mechanical Engineering can lead you into many different industries such as renewable energy, infrastructure, motorsport, project management etc.

I'd definitely say it is a good degree! When it comes to picking which degree to do, finding something that you will enjoy is also good in making a decision. Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
-Wanita
Reply 2
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi!
I am currently second year studying Mechanical Engineering and I have really enjoyed it. Learning about how Maths and Physics relate to the real world and getting hands-on experience such as building a bridge in the first year from materials in the workshop and a vehicle that went up and down it was quite fun! As well as this, through the course we have learned about managing people and projects and using CAD to model our designs. Studying Mechanical Engineering can lead you into many different industries such as renewable energy, infrastructure, motorsport, project management etc.
I'd definitely say it is a good degree! When it comes to picking which degree to do, finding something that you will enjoy is also good in making a decision. Hope this helps!
Kind Regards,
-Wanita

Building a bridge?
Sounds more civil to me
Reply 3
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi!
Kind Regards,
-Wanita

I kind of want to study mechanical engineering because it looks really promising but I don't think I can get in without physics
Original post by Halzone
I kind of want to study mechanical engineering because it looks really promising but I don't think I can get in without physics

I think that for most engineering courses you need do physics unless you’re looking to do a foundation year but @Smack might be able to give more advice/confirm this.

The biggest issue might be not having physics more than anything if you’re looking to do any engineering related degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Talkative Toad
I think that for most engineering courses you need do physics unless you’re looking to do a foundation year but @Smack might be able to give more advice/confirm this.
The biggest issue might be not having physics more than anything if you’re looking to do any engineering related degree.

Yeah originally I picked biology to do medicine but I changed my mind, kinda upset that I didn't pick physics because it narrows my subjects a lot

I looked online at unis that offer chem eng and material sciences and most of them say they accept maths, chemistry and one other science (physics, biology, etc.) so I might be able to get in

Ur right on maybe needing a foundation year because a lot of my friends do physics and they say it's hard so i might not have the skills to do a degree in that kind of stuff yet
Original post by Halzone

Physics is a common requirement for mechanical engineering but there definitely are courses out there that will accept you without it. And as you've noted, it will rarely be an issue for chemical or materials engineering (even though those disciplines are also heavily physics based).

Quick Reply