The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Day in the life of an Education Studies student at BCU!

Follow me along on a Monday at BCU as a third-year Education Studies student.

07:40 Wake up.

I like to have around 30 minutes to have my breakfast and catch up on any messages/emails. Sometimes, my housemates are in the kitchen, too. It is nice to chat with them, depending on how awake we are feeling.

08:35 Walk to university.

The walk to my university is around 15 minutes. I like to arrive early to get a good seat and set up my laptop with my notes app and PowerPoint ready.

09:00 Seminar begins.

A seminar usually means there will be some lecturing and some group or independent tasks. All of the tasks are geared up to support us with our assignments, so I always make sure to make notes as I will often use a lot of this work in my actual assignment!

10:30 20-minute break.

I usually bring snacks with me, but if I don’t, this is a good time to buy something from one of the many outlets on campus.

12:00 End of seminar.

Because I am already on campus and find I am most productive in the library, I will usually continue working there, sometimes with friends or alone.

14:00 Go home and have lunch.

I like to make as many of my meals as I can to avoid overspending on food.

15:30 Start online The Student Room shift.

Twice a week, I spend 90 minutes answering questions in The Student Room on behalf of BCU. It’s a great way to consistently gain skills and make some extra money.

17:30 Go to the gym.

I go to a class at the local gym two or three times a week. Sometimes, my housemate joins me, too. This is a great way to get my body moving without having to plan a workout or wait for a machine to be ready. The classes are very motivating and a great way to make friends, too. I always feel great afterwards.

19:15 Go home, shower and have dinner.

The rest of the evening is mine to enjoy. I love to catch up on my favourite YouTubers and read some of my book. I have university tomorrow, so I will be setting time aside to check if there are any pre-session tasks.

22:30 Go to sleep!

Please value your sleep. Learning uses so much brain power. Try to get in a good sleep routine if you can. It really helps to ensure that when you decide to go to sleep, you can actually fall asleep straight away.

Thank you for joining me on a typical Monday. If you have any other questions about my experience as a student or want to know what happens on other days, such as the weekend, please let me know below!

If you want to see what life is like at BCU for yourself, come to one of our open days, book your place here.

Ana - BCU Student Rep.
(edited 1 month ago)
just wondering, how did you get this role? id be interested in posting on the student room for the uni myself when i start
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
just wondering, how did you get this role? id be interested in posting on the student room for the uni myself when i start

Hi!

That is a great question. In my first year, I applied to be a student ambassador for my university, a role that I believe most universities offer to their students. I started off by helping out on Open Days, Clearing, Awards nights, etc. It's a great way to earn a little bit of money when you're free and build good relationships with the staff, too.

Through this role, I was exposed to various opportunities, such as becoming a TSR Rep. I applied for it and was invited to an interview. I had to respond to different questions in the same style I would use if replying to a real question on TSR. The interviewer was looking for good communication, spelling, grammar, and a friendly tone.

When you start university, I would definitely inquire about the student ambassador role and any other roles you might be interested in.

Have a great summer:smile:

Ana - BCU Student Rep.

Quick Reply